Final Drive: #520 O-ring - sealed chain; 15T/45T, Suspension Front: 43mm air-adjustable leading-axle Showa cartridge fork with 16-position compression damping adjustability; 11.6 inches travel

Starting is the easiest thing with the help of a push button and the big four-stroke single starts providing a very strong and potent exhaust note straight from idling engine speeds. The Honda XR650L is an absolute blast to ride from the very first moment you get on it and no matter where, street or dirt road. At 21 inches, the front wheel is capable of negotiating some pretty rough stuff, as is the 18 incher that brings up the rear. Off-road it has the power, suspension, and durability a dirt rider demands. Displacement: 644cc

There aren’t many motorcycles like it on the road today and we reckon they won’t be any new ones long time from now. Red painted and covered in graphics, the 2.8 gallons gas tank is compact and aggressive, exactly what you would find on a Baja 1000 competitor. Semi-double-cradle steel frame is lightweight, strong and offers precise handling manners. Passing through some tight sections on my way there showed the bike’s ease of handling at low speeds. A standard clutch couples engine power to the five-speed transmission, and I’m not really surprised at the lack of a slipper clutch in this case, or any sort of traction control or other electronic gadgetry for that matter. Honda may be right about this being an all-road bike, but at the end of the day it comes off looking like pure dirt. 18-inch rear wheel for greater tire selection.

18-inch rear wheel for greater tire selection. The front fender is nicely contoured around a 21-inch wheel and that’s pretty much it for the front end. The Honda XR650L also offers all the benefits of light weight, smart electric starter and excellent fuel economy. All Rights Reserved, � Copyright TopSpeed. The Honda XR650L is a benchmark for the dual-sport class as it eats Baja races for breakfast and yet chooses to take its act on the streets, dirt roads, remote trails and forgotten byways. I was pretty doubtful in what concerned the handling characteristics at higher speeds due to the high center of gravity and all-road rubber, but I must say that at a constant speed of 65 mph, it is very easy to switch lanes and go around other vehicles on the road. Tires Front: 3.00-21 Showa provides the suspension components with a set of 43 mm forks up front and monoshock in back. 43 mm air-adjustable axle Showa® cartridge fork with 16-position compression-damping adjustability/ 11.6 in, Pro-Link® Showa single-shock with spring-preload, 20-position compression- and 20-position rebound-damping adjustability/ 11.0 in, Single 256 mm disc with twin-piston caliper, Single 220 mm disc with single-piston caliper, 644cc air-cooled dry-sump single-cylinder four-stroke, SOHC; four-valve RFVC™, One Year, Transferable limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan, 644 cc air-cooled dry-sump single-cylinder four-stroke, SOHC; four-valve RFVC™, 2.8 gallons, including 0.6-gallon reserve.

Dry-sump engine maximizes power by minimizing crankshaft windage and engine temperature. Easy-to-use choke allows for simple cold-weather starts. Page 1 of 2 1 2 Next > Willie_Maker, Aug 12, 2008 #1. 1994 brought the Shasta White with Capri Blue scheme. Initial rates are soft for supple action over small bumps and ripples, while increasingly stiffer rates resist bottoming and maintain rear-wheel control over rougher surfaces. The proven design and components make it super reliable, too. There is also room for a passenger and on the right rider side you’ll find a machine gun for an exhaust. Bulletproof 644cc SOHC four-stroke engine produces power and torque ideally suited for both on- and off-road riding. Gear-driven counterbalancer minimizes bothersome and tiring vibration. All Rights Reserved, � Copyright TopSpeed.

Oh, and carburetor fans rejoice! Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVC) allows excellent combustion efficiency and high power output. None of its competitors manage to perform as good as the XLR in the tough terrains and that’s easy to understand as this bike is built to endure.

The engine is a liquid-cooled 651cc, four-stroke, DOHC, four-stroke single fed through a Keihin carburetor so it seems that Kawi went all the way when creating this KLR model. This bike is built for the bumpy stuff, no doubt about it.

Meeting the engine’s demands in what concerns stability, practicability and ease of handling is the semi-double-cradle steel frame working closely together with the long travel (11.6 inches front and 11.0 inches rear) Showa suspension. Although the engine on the XR650R would have been liquid-cooled, the “L” model’s 40 horsepower and 105 mph top speed seemed more than enough for the streets and dirt roads despite the fact it reached a 350 lbs wet weight because of the addition of an electric starter, headlight, taillight, turn signals and mirrors. Simply awesome! Finally, they went for the simple Shasta White color scheme starting with 1997. If you’re looking for one motorcycle that can do it all, Honda’s time-tested XR650L is that machine. The two mills measure out exactly the same at 644 cc but where Honda claims around 40 ponies, Suzuki claims 46. MSRP on the XR650L is $6,999 for 2020.

It is strongly recommended that you don’t confuse it with a sport-touring motorcycle as it is far from being that and the $5,599 MSRP confirms. Ground Clearance: 13.0 inches

Reliable electric starter system allows easy push-button starting. The seat feels like it could easily have you do 100 miles without stopping, but after the first 40 miles or so you start wondering if that’s really possible.

High-quality controls include comfortable grips and brush guards. My husband and fellow motorcycle writer, TJ Hinton, says,"What can I say, it’s another bloody dual-sport that looks like a damned enduro to me. Not being a dirt bike, the mud sure gave it and me a nice challenge, but yet again the tires weren’t the adequate ones and went on cleaning the thing by passing a river. I let the motor worm up a little bit and away I went for the highway. It’s definitely an all-road bike but with a bit more of a street-centric bent. Suzuki picks up a win at the till with a $6,499 sticker, but it’s a minor win at just wee bit less expensive. Powerful, compact, durable and fuel efficient, you can’t beat it.

Curb Weight: 346 pounds, Javascript must be enabled for the correct page display, air-cooled, dry-sump, single-cylinder four-stroke; SOHC, four-valve RFVC, © Copyright TopSpeed. If it had moving parts, it had Allyn's interest from a very early age. Heavy-duty, low-maintenance #520 O-ring-sealed drive chain. An air-cooled thumper drives the ride with a 100 mm bore and 82 mm stroke that gives us a total displacement of 644 cc.

Power output is around 40 ponies, and top speed is around 105 mph, way faster than you should ever go on knobbies, says I. 42.5mm constant-velocity (CV) carburetor offers crisp throttle response, excellent driveability and maximum power. Hit the jump for more information on the 2012 Honda XR650L. Having shared her love of motorcycles with her now husband, biker TJ Hinton, Allyn brings that love and knowledge to TopSpeed as writer and associate motorcycle editor. Aggressive, dual-purpose front and rear tires offer excellent performance both on and off road. Totalmotorcycle ---- "If you’re looking for one motorcycle that can do it all, Honda’s time-tested XR650L is that machine", Ultimatemotorcycling ---- " Honda announced a wide array of bikes (and quads) this week, among them, the 2012 XR650L", Bikez ---- "If you´re looking for one motorcycle that can do it all, Honda´s time-tested XR650L is that machine. Check out the features that make the XR650L such a competent machine on both the street and in the dirt: Semi-double-cradle steel frame. Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics. The XR650L’s push-button electric start means it’s easy to get going, even on cold mornings or if your bike’s been sitting all week. Seat Height: 37.0 inches Overall, the XR650L looks like the definition of adventure motorcycles and quite frankly, I’ll have it over the KLR650 anytime. Honda’s Pro-Link rear suspension system offers compliant and comfortable ride quality with a high level of wheel control. This meant adding the Red and White color scheme which is kept until this day. In this case it is a boring buzz coming through the handlebars and which becomes insignificant when shifting. Clearly superior to the Suzuki and Kawasaki, the 2009 Honda XR650L comes with a $5,999 MSRP, showing that going with the best isn’t necessarily a very expensive choice, but more of a necessary one.

Off-road it has the power, suspension, and durability a dirt rider demands.

Dry-sump design keeps the engine compact and eliminates the oil pan for superior ground clearance and damage resistance. One thing is for sure; I certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable cornering on the streets with those tires; but then, if this bike suited your intended purpose, you wouldn’t be worrying about cornering on the streets, huh. Four-stroke single-cylinder engine offers good fuel economy and a wide powerband. Instead, what’s interesting about the XR is the always successful combination of power, torque and handling on virtually all riding surfaces possible.