That's why it's vital to have a few descriptive words for scents. Any suggestions for a good resource would be appreciated, because I frequently have fragrance conversations and often do not speak because I don’t know how to say something correctly. This confuses the engine and so you might not get many adjectives describing it. Or the leather note can be salty and green like the leather in Robert Piguet Bandit and Aramis. This list is constantly updated, and for more information on a specific term, please click on the link associated with it. Below is a list of describing words for another word. French lavender, a little less than that. March 11, 2014 at 10:25am Reply, Victoria: With Bela’s help, you will.

Character—the defining idea of a fragrance. Who would ever guess that “aromatic” in perfumery parlance means green, camphorous, herbal notes, as opposed to “having an aroma,” as a dictionary would define it?

The "uniqueness" sorting is default, and thanks to my Complicated Algorithm™, it orders them by the adjectives' uniqueness to that particular noun relative to other nouns (it's actually pretty simple). but i would like to know where Poison Dior is categorized, definitelly my thing. For instance, Coty Vanilla Fields is a familiar creamy vanilla fragrance. The best way I can describe it is fresh powder. Some degree of maturation happens at the plant when the perfume concentrate is made, but it is definitely not to the same degree as was the standard in the past.

The more compact variety Hidcote, has darker blue flowers, grows to around a foot high and is very pretty in any flower or herb garden. wild HTH!

"I will," responded Mr. Lavender synonyms. Floralcy—a jargon term meaning that a fragrance has a floral element or a floral character. Hope that it is helpful. February 3, 2012 at 4:39pm Reply, OperaFan: Thanks for the refresher course and clarifications, Dear V. I’m off to attend Anna Bolena at the Met tomorrow and will be sure to choose a fragrance with both CHARACTER and good SILLAGE – perhals an ORIENTAL or something POWDERY…. Have you tried No 19 in Eau de Parfum?

However, commercial soap is usually scented to cover up this residual sharp odor, and when we speak of soapy, we mean the scents associated with the common soap perfumes. A really soft and green fragrance.

Have you tried it? March 14, 2013 at 12:45pm Reply, Christina Findell: Thank you so much for this wonderful, interesting and useful A-Z list. If you associate balsamic and balsamic vinegar, you are spot on—true wooden cask aged balsamic vinegar has the characteristic sweet, thick and dark character of the balsamic notes in perfumery (benzoin, styrax, balsam Tolu, balsam Peru). And Dove, Caress classical, Irish Spring, Ivory–these are some very memorable soap scents. You can hover over an item for a second and the frequency score should pop up. I am just starting to learn about perfumes – and blogging about it at perfumerookie.blogspot.com – so your post is very helpful. I just love this quality in perfume.

In low concentrations, it smells pleasantly floral.

Great stuff. November 6, 2019 at 10:28am Reply, I agree to the terms outlined in the Privacy Policy. It has been one of my favorite No 19 versions lately. Balsamic-—unctuous, sweet, heavy scent that calls to mind sticky sap.

Cinnamaldehyde is responsible for the aroma of cinnamon. Lavender arrived at the edge of the pond slightly in advance of the crowd. It is a very common jargon term, especially since many feminine fragrances today need to have this feeling. http://fragnameoftheday.blogspot.be/ Of course, quite the opposite is true…Thank you! What comes as a surprise is that in perfumery terpenic facets show up in the most delicate of floral accords such as lilac and freesia. My least favorite soapy note is the green, sharp scent in original Palmolive (the green dishwashing liquid), which I detect in Tocade and some other florals, as well as Cool Water. Its top notes show little variation from the bottom notes, so you experience right away its character. Photography by Vera, lavender fields in Grasse, France. February 3, 2012 at 6:38pm Reply, Andy: So helpful. I’m very glad to hear that you like the new format.

Some simply describe it as having a piney floral scent. Today I went “zesty” with Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine. In the last weeks i have been searching relentlessly for the old Maja by Myrurgia. A vintage bottle goes for 500.00 now.

To gain some publicity to get he sewage works to clean up their act we want to have small bottles labelled up like expensive perfume to present at our next meeting with the owners but we need help to write a label that sounds like a proper perfume label but addresses the strong almost vomit endulging smells this sewage work creates. It smells like a disinfectant, quite sharp, but it is a very familiar scent. February 3, 2012 at 10:15am Reply, Victoria: Oh, you are most welcome! Poison is floral oriental, since it combines both really well.

A search for words to describe "people who have blue eyes" will likely return zero results.

Jean Patou Joy is a quintessentially rich perfume, since it contains large proportions of rose and jasmine. It’s notoriously difficult to describe fragrances, and this is a big help. FM Lifestyle May 18, 2013 at 5:58am Reply, Gritton Gale: Ohhh…how I love perfumes!

The main accord in Narciso Rodriguez for Heris rich due to the generous dose of musks, while the perfume on the whole seems luminous, rather than heavy or fatty. Yes you… November 4, 2020 at 2:52pm, —a term describing dry, sharp odor of resinous materials like frankincense and elemi. Vanillic—can refer either to vanilla or to vanilla redolent materials: benzoin, tolu balsam, vanillin, etc.

Cartier Roadster with its fresh minty note has a cool effect, as does a watery spicy blend like Hermès Un Jardin Après La Mousson. White musks, for instance, have a freshly ironed linen impression. I live in a community blighted for 20 years by a rancid smelling sewage works and a fish bone meal factory chipping into the smell aswell. *. Chypre—a fragrance family based on the interplay of citrus, floral, mossy and ambery notes. This quality is often imparted by natural raw materials, especially floral essences. I also love orange blossom in all possible forms, in food, perfume, etc.

In perfumery, Lancôme Climat uses a peach-like lactone to soften its dark mossy richness. squeekie2: Thank you so much for this blog!

Guerlain Shalimar is the quintessential oriental, and Estee Lauder Youth Dew, Yves Saint Laurent Opium (including the new version,) Chanel Coco and Lolita Lempicka are the other excellent examples of this genre.