This could be a hobby or simply watching a tv show you like.

"Three words, honey: Mar-ga-rita." If you need to create some barriers to ensure this is happening, then do so. endstream endobj 530 0 obj <>/Size 514/Type/XRef>>stream

"But it's something all of us will experience in one way or another, probably at many moments in our lives.".

0000006529 00000 n This includes statements like: Avoid judgements about the person who died. I understand what you're feeling (unless, of course, you really do). 0000001746 00000 n Maintain contact personally or by telephone, text, notes, cards. Selassie suggests first tuning into our own feelings of discomfort - literally, tune into the sensations in your body; the tightness in your chest, the queasiness in your stomach, the throbbing in your head.

My family and I were lucky.

Include children and young people in the grieving process and be aware that they need support.

0000001902 00000 n funeral payment, any bills that are due.

"Grief is not something that's talked about much in our culture," says meditation teacher and three-time cancer survivor Sebene Selassie. This helps them to come to terms with, and make sense of, what has happened.

Allow people to grieve in the way that is most natural and comfortable for them - there is no “right way” to grieve. 0000002983 00000 n Use clichés or platitudes to comfort; They rarely help and can leave the bereaved person feeling misunderstood and more isolated. As a result, it's hard for us to know what to do when others are in pain. Acknowledge to the person, and to yourself, when you can’t provide support.

1. Look after yourself: take time out to do things that you enjoy or bring you joy.

Don’t forget how much we love and care about you. People have no way of knowing whether their loved ones are safe because communication on the island is sketchy at best. You've been through a lot; it's normal to feel angry and upset.

Listen: this is possibly the most important thing you can do.

0000003469 00000 n

We’ve listed some ideas for practical support below: Grief is an unpredictable beast and comes in many different forms.

My heart is heavy as I think of your Mom/Dad and the blessing she/he was to me.

Other services include: Your session is about to expire.

See more ideas about Words, Quotes, Words of wisdom. Some supporters feel awkward, don’t know what to say, or worry they’re saying the wrong thing.

Don't be surprised or alarmed by the intensity of their feelings; Intense feelings can come in waves, and when you least expect it. Allow expressions of anger, guilt and blame.

Feb 23, 2016 - These are inspirational and powerful words for all survivors of sexual assault and abuse. Use the term 'committed' suicide: this language is stigmatising, it’s distressing for the grieving person and it harks back to when suicide was a crime.