No, just plainly knight because it is a unisex word but it is common stereotype to assume a knight is a male based on old English tradition. Basically the stuttering youth who follows this woman knight refers to her both as "Ser" and "My Lady" at the same time. Only thing is, what do you call them? Dame is the actual term or Lady (depending on where they are from).

I actually kinda like Knightmaiden of the realm. In medieval times, a female knight would have simply been called a knight, because she would have to pretend to be a male.

Dame is the female equivalent of sir in the modern British honours system, but I don't really see why you need gender-specific honorifics in the first place.

There are numerous examples of women, both noble and lower-born, who defended their homes, their families, and their nations from attacking outside forces.

Still have questions?

Dr. Helena P. Schrader, Ph.D. in History from the University of Hamburg, Prince Louis of France tried to invade Lincoln, defeated the threat to her husband’s throne, The Persian scholar Imad ad-din al-Isfahani wrote.

Question.

Nicholaa de la Haye was born in Lincolnshire, England, around 1150, and inherited her father's land when he died. It does feel a bit odd, but that's actually a good thing here. During the Middle Ages, women were not raised for battle like their male counterparts, who typically trained for warfare from boyhood.

E.g. Although from an academic standpoint women could not generally carry the title of knight, there were still many women in European history who were part of chivalric orders and performed the duties of female knights without the formal recognition. Otherwise I'd just make something up. Why the polls were wrong about Trump (again), Armed agents allowed in ballot-counting rooms: DOJ, Live: Biden moves closer to reaching 270 votes, Pennsylvania AG on Trump lawsuit: 'We'll win again', Union members picked Biden after Trump 'abandoned' them, Black men drifted from Dems to Trump in record numbers, Fox News hosts question network's Ariz. call for Biden, Trump campaign unleashes wave of suits in key states, Coach cracks down on Tate's 'selfish behavior', Giants trainer may have saved this player's wife's life, 2020 election results highlight Hispanic diversity. Lady Thorn or Dame Thorn however would be ferocious. The eight-day siege of Jerusalem in 1187 relied on women for success.

Nearly all of the city's fighting men had marched out of town three months earlier, for the Battle of Hattin, leaving Jerusalem unguarded but for a few hastily-knighted boys.

ThoughtCo uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience.

Anyway, the rules for becoming a knight are a bit less strict than in the real world, and females can become knights, though it is quite rare. I tried to feminise the word 'Sir' by swapping the 'I' for an 'A'. Eleanor of Aquitaine, the Queen of both France and England, led a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Because a science fantasy knights with energy swords and an energy shield are awesome.

[, Jeanne Laisné (born 1456) was a French heroine known as Jeanne Fourquet and nicknamed Jeanne Hachette ('Jean the Hatchet'). Lolz... or knight-ingale... How do you think about the answers? Press J to jump to the feed. Because neither of these were typically the domains of women, it was rare for a women to carry the title of knight.

New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. level 1. She defended her home again a few years later when Prince Louis of France tried to invade Lincoln. By using ThoughtCo, you accept our. I really like knightmaiden but i think I'd extend it to be knightmaster or some other equivelent for males so both are just shortened to knight. That would imply the presence of church in the matter of knighthood. Married at least twice, Nicholaa was the castellan of Lincoln Castle, her family estate, despite the fact that each of her husbands tried to claim it as their own. When she looked from a tower and saw that the enemy camp was almost unguarded, she led three hundred men on a charge, burned down Charles' supplies and destroyed his tents.

The word knight was not just a job title, it was a social ranking. The Persian scholar Imad ad-din al-Isfahani wrote. In fact, women were permitted as part of the organization during its first 10 years of existence.

During the War of the Roses, Marguerite d’Anjou personally directed the actions of Lancastrian commanders during battles against Yorkist opponents while her husband, King Henry VI, was incapacitated by bouts of madness. I would recommend simply using "knight", specifying "female knight" if necessary. Seen Samantha Swords refer to herself as Swordswoman which might help if you want to add extra description other than knight. The word "damehood" is rarely used but it is shown, on the official British Monarchy website, as being the correct term.

We know this because although medieval European writers documenting the Crusades emphasized the notion that pious Christian women did not fight, the historians of their Muslim opponents wrote of crusading women battling against them. She refused to yield, and commanding 30 knights, 20 men-at-arms, and a few hundred infantrymen, held the castle for 40 days. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_women_warriors_in_folklore, In the siege of Hennebont, she took up arms and, dressed in armour, conducted the defence of the town, encouraging the people to fight, and urging the women to "cut their skirts and take their safety in their own hands."

In modern times, a Dame would be the equivalent. The women, however, outnumbered men in the city by nearly 50 to 1, so when Balian, Baron of Ibelin, realized it was time to defend the walls against the invading army of Saladin, he enlisted the female citizens to get to work.

This subreddit is dedicated to those of us who are writing in the fantasy genre.

There are several accounts of queens who traveled into the field with their armies in times of war. You can sign in to vote the answer. save hide report.

Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. Although their names have been lost to history, these women did exist, they simply were not granted the title of knight. In fact, in 1460, she "defeated the threat to her husband’s throne by calling on the Lancastrian nobility to assemble a mighty host in Yorkshire that ambushed York and killed him and 2,500 of his men outside his ancestral home at Sandal Castle.".

The Queen of England bestows Knighthoods and... um... Damehoods... on many people.

English doesn't really have a proper term for it, but in French it would be "chevaleresse" (the male word being "chevalier", from which "chivalry" derives). What to call a female knight. Sar would take some getting used to, but I think it works. Templar Robbins. Because neither of these were typically the domains of women, it was rare for a women to carry the title of knight. Tried looking up history and folklore (via the wikis) looks like there were a number of women, but some were given more nicknames than titles, so you might have to invent a term. George RR Martin ran into a similar problem. Having a character named Sir Lucy (working name) feels odd, but a knight named Madame Lucy doesn't very...knight-ish. 76% Upvoted. Knight Lucy, Knight John, Knight Dana, etc.

There is no equivalent... the best I can offer is that the female equivalent to a 'knighthood' is to be made a Dame, but that is not the same thing at all.

Anyway, the rules for becoming a knight are a bit less strict than in the real world, and females can become knights, though it is quite rare.

However if you want to imply the knight is female simply use the term 'female knight'. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the fantasywriters community.

I kinda liked the name, Lady Rose or something, but admittedly it's not as fearsome as Sir Thorn. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Discuss:What_is_a_female... No not a knightress, (the spell checker even says I misspelled that word).There were no female knights back then, it was against the law for women to do anything other than be a good housewife. Women didn't just show up and perform the duties of knights in defensive mode. Works for male or female. You might also be interest to read some Fiore dei Liberi, its a manuscript on sword fighting and one of the stances is called Posta di Donna “Lady's guard” or “women's stance” might be a nice nod. Joanna was later known as a prototype of the martial woman in Brittany, and a possible influence on Joan of Arc of France.

Answered. Margaret of Anjou directed troops during the War of the Roses.

Because the town's menfolk were already off at battle fighting on another front, it fell to the women of Tortosa to set up defenses. Mostly names are from France, who created knighthood or the romance of it unless my history is wrong, it was later an English thing too.

You could go with an entirely different title than Sir.

She was the daughter of a peasant.