Raymond Burr had initially auditioned for the role of Hamilton Burger, but Patrick encouraged him to lose 60 pounds and read for the lead role – which Burr successfully did. Talman volunteered to make a short film for the American Cancer Society, part of which was shown in late 1968 and 1969 as a television anti-smoking commercial. "[9] Despite this Talman was fired by CBS, which refused to give a reason. Sheriff's deputies, suspicious of marijuana use, raided a party on March 13, 1960, in a private home in Beverly Hills at which Talman was a guest. That meant I had to fight my way in and out." A bus forced the car off of the road and it hit a tree. 'You Can’t Be Silent.'

There's even a brief appearance by Perry's prosecutorial nemesis Hamilton Burger (Justin Kirk), who plays a shocking part in Mason's transformation. Former soldiers with this designation were denied veteran benefits and often suffered employment discrimination back home. Talman volunteered to make a short film for the American Cancer Society, part of which was shown in late 1968 and 1969 as a television anti-smoking commercial. William Talman is best known for his role as Hamilton Burger, the district attorney who perpetually lost to Perry Mason in the long-running series, Hamilton Burger / D.A. He remained off the show until December of 1960, when CBS reinstated him after a flood of fan mail from supporters. Travel back in time to check out the early roles of some of Hollywood's heavy hitters. Within a few years she had resumed smoking, however, and the cause of her death was also lung cancer.

The brutality, and Mason's role in it, has saddled him with enormous guilt and depression. He had made another such public service announcement, which opened with his voice-over and a picture of his home, followed by filmed shots of his wife and kids, then a still of himself "with a friend of mine you might recognize," Raymond Burr, from the Perry Mason TV series. When the series opens, it's Christmas 1931, and Mason (Matthew Rhys from "The Americans") is scraping by as a private investigator for defense attorney E.B. He decided to do something about it. At one point he was in charge of training boxing and baseball teams.

. When he came down with lung cancer, he was the first actor to do a TV commercial on the danger of smoking. Talman is also known for being the first actor in Hollywood to film an antismoking public service announcement for the American Cancer Society. He's sloppy and often drunk, staring off into space and disconnected from the people around him. His first picture was Red, Hot and Blue (1949), in which he played gangster Bunny Harris. In the 1952 film Beware, My Lovely, in which Ida Lupino played a war widow terrorized by a madman in her home, a photograph of Talman was used for the picture of her late, heroic husband.

Talman returned to Broadway after the war. Although his life was short, he left an enduring legacy through his writing, his acting, his heroism and his never-ending championing of the underdog. His third wife was Margaret Flanagan, whom he married in 1963. William Talman is best known for his role as Hamilton Burger, the district attorney who perpetually lost to Perry Mason in the long-running series Perry Mason (1957). [16] The short film began with the words: "Before I die, I want to do what I can to leave a world free of cancer for my six children [...]"[17] Talman requested that the commercial not be aired until after his death. Publicity Listings The most crucial criminal case that William Talman the actor who played Hamilton Burger on "Perry Mason" ever had to face was not on TV, but in real life. He continued to act at Dartmouth College and the University of Michigan. What Do Foreign Correspondents Think of the U.S.? Talman was an accomplished screenwriter and stage and screen actor, and appeared in numerous roles on television as a character actor from the mid-'50s until his death from lung cancer in August of 1968.He was born William Whitney Talman Jr. on February 4, 1915, in Detroit, Michigan, the first son of William Talman Sr. and Ada B. Talman. Talman was asked to resign from Dartmouth, which he did. - IMDb Mini Biography By: Other movie and television roles soon followed. After the "Perry Mason" show ended in 1966, Talman went on a six-week tour of Vietnam to entertain the troops. His father was vice-president of an electrical company that manufactured industrial heat-measuring recording devices and yachts. Prior to leaving for active duty he married actress Lynne Carter. His father was vice-president of an electrical company that manufactured industrial heat-measuring recording devices and yachts. After college, he worked in summer stock and at an iron foundry, paper mills, boat yards, and as an automobile salesman. ",William Talman died of cardiac arrest due to complications from lung cancer at West Valley Community Hospital in Encino, California, on August 30, 1968, at the age of 53. His first roles were in "Beverly Hills", "Yokel Boy" and "Of Mice and Men." That meant I had to fight my way in and out." It was early in 1960. These ten characters are not committing Stolen Valor because they're not actually real. A lifelong heavy smoker, he was diagnosed with lung cancer, and knew he was dying when he filmed the commercial. Public school.

Surprise! Upon his return home, it was discovered that he had lung cancer.

Tragg and Mason discussed the evidence that cleared Danny Ross. D. (qv's & corrections by A. Nonymous), Other Works [15], Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills), Rootsweb Genealogy page on William Talman, "Profile: Detroit-born 'Perry Mason' Actor William Talman", District Attorney of TV Show is arrested on marijuana charge, Network fires District Attorney on Mason Show, "Medical: Remembering the Man Who Always Lost to Perry Mason and then Died of Cancer", The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=William_Talman_(actor)&oldid=976923450, Burials at Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills), American military personnel of World War II, Wikipedia articles with BIBSYS identifiers, Wikipedia articles with SUDOC identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WORLDCATID identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Margaret Flanagan (married 1963–1968; his death), This page was last edited on 5 September 2020, at 21:58.