Once again, we apply this matrix through rotation, taking care to add it in the correct order.

The UV coordinates of the three vertices of our grass blades.

Right now, our individual blades of grass are defined by a single triangle. However, sometimes post-processed anti-aliasing is not always appropriate (such as when working with virtual reality); this thread on the Unity forums has a good discussion for alternative solutions to this problem. Cancel. Each iteration of the loop will add two vertices: a left and a right. Up until now, we've only outputted three vertices, making for a single triangle—so with more vertices, how does the geometry shader know which ones should connect to each another to form triangles? In that way I can animate the batch of tall grass in front view and then in right/left view and place the animated texture on two planes that forms an X so the tall grass doesn't become invisible when looking from side view. I'm trying to come up with the best way to create barley grass in Unity that looks realistic. You would have to set _GrassMinY and _GrassMaxY in the editor, obviously. The scene I'm trying to make is similar to this picture: http://bsnscb.com/field-wallpapers/38958340.html. 0 How would you create tall grass in Unity? Love the art style and the crazy level of interactivity with the environment. Even when multisample anti-aliasing (MSAA) is enabled, Unity does not apply anti-aliasing to the scene's depth texture, which is used when constructing the screen-space shadow map. A simple grass swaying shaders.

We use optional third-party analytics cookies to understand how you use GitHub.com so we can build better products.

I dont explain more. Keijiro has open sourced a grass system here: Check out all his repos. Add the following below the line declaring float width. We use optional third-party analytics cookies to understand how you use GitHub.com so we can build better products. To do this, we'll need to construct a rotation matrix that rotates a random amount around the blade's up axis. Set the Fence game object to be active in the scene; this gives us a surface for the blades to cast shadows onto. Browse more 2D Textures & Materials on the Unity Asset Store. While this would work, it would not allow for dynamic control of the grass density. I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Services. We can now sample our top and bottom colors in the fragment shader using the UV, and interpolate between them using lerp. We declare a loop that will run once for each segment in the blade.

This could be done as follows. Having interactive foliage in your game helps bring some life to your environment.

This file contains a shader that outputs the color white, along with some functions we will use throughout this tutorial.

Code placed in this block will be automatically included in any passes in the shader; this will be useful later, as our shader will have multiple passes. We can now visualize the normals in our ForwardBase fragment shader to verify our work. Industries. Ana Ribeiro had a vision of an old-school Game Boy title within a modern VR game. In that way I can animate the batch of tall grass in front view and then in right/left view and place the animated texture on two planes that forms an X so the tall grass doesn't … The OP over there said it gave much better performance than the other popular option, Infinigrass. The animator is a pretty bad idea for foliage. Clone with Git or checkout with SVN using the repository’s web address.

A Terrain GameObject adds a large flat plane to your scene and you can use the Terrain’s Inspector window to create a detailed landscape. The easiest way is to stick a trigger collider on your GameObject. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets. The guy is Code Jesus to KennyNL's Asset Jesus. Browse more 2D Textures & Materials on the Unity Asset Store. there is a COMPLETE tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gY5b6mkCWs. This way, every blade will get a different rotation, but it will be consistent between frames. As we want our grass to be generated correctly for all kinds of surfaces, it is important to test it on different shaped meshes. To create interest and realism, the blades will have randomized dimensions and rotations, and be affected by wind.

Most likely the grass is longer than it looks and is rendering on a level below the ground. This is often called the DRY principle, or don't repeat yourself.

This space is called tangent space.

To resolve this, we will construct our grass blades in tangent space. We use it above to invert the normal when necessary. Instead of importing these binormals, Unity simply grabs each binormal's direction and assigns it to the tangent's w coordinate.

This has yielded some odd results. Our triangle is now correctly rendered in the world. If you open CustomTessellation.cginc, you will note that it has already defined vertexInput and vertexOutput structs, as well as a vertex shader. The blade's base is no longer pinned to the ground; it is intersecting the ground (in. Mirror effect Uses _CameraOpaqueTexture. One solution is to use anti-aliasing applied during post processing, which is available in Unity's post processing package.

Although we have defined our input primitive to be a triangle, we are only emitting a blade from one of the triangle's points, discarding the other two. The grass blades' dimensions right now are fixed at 1 unit wide, 1 unit tall. I've found that a value of 5 produces good results. Instead, we will subdivide the input mesh using tessellation. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. These tutorials are made possible, and kept free and open source, by your support. Press J to jump to the feed. This tutorial will describe step-by-step how to write a grass shader for Unity. Before we do this, it will be useful to move some of our code calculating our grass vertex positions into a function, as we will be using the code several times in and outside our loop. Animators are crazy heavy objects and firing one up just to have grass sway is pretty insane.

Next, we can construct a normalized vector representing the direction of the wind. Answers, Hint: You can notify a user about this post by typing @username, Viewable by moderators and the original poster.

We'll modify our code to reflect this.

You'll notice that these functions, along with the vertex shader, are enclosed in a CGINCLUDE block placed outside the SubShader. I swear by Kenney's assets.Saved for later.

Attachments:

This may be desirable for well tended grass, like on a putting green, but does not accurately represent grass in the wild. Instantly share code, notes, and snippets.

To make our triangles look more like blades of grass, we'll need to add some color and variety. This tells the GPU that we will emit (but are not required to) at most 3 vertices. In order to cast shadows in Unity, a second pass must be added to the shader.