She was apparently only allowed 2 hours of mental exercise per day which almost drove her insane. Why do you think people in this period discouraged women from writing ? Part B, What effect did the resolution have on the overall meaning of the passage? Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. The Yellow Wallpaper Questions and Answers The Question and Answer sections of our study guides are a great resource to ask questions, find answers, and discuss literature. Not affiliated with Harvard College. Or is she just mad? why. Which of the following best summarizes a central idea of the text? Allow her to write? in the yellow wallpaper Why does the narrator say: "what can one do?"? They bo. Part B: Which of the following quotes best supports the answer to part A ? What role is the narrator expected to play in this story by the male characters. what an answered questions do you have about the story. ? What does it make you think of? Which room did the narrator want instead ?

I can tolerate creepy vibes, but scary books don't sit well with me.

get her medical help but then it was 1800's, not sure they had medication. Ask a Question. What exactly about the wallpaper does the narrator dislike, In what ways does the narrator disagree with her husband and brother regarding her 'treatment". When her husband opens the door, he sees her "creeping" (crawling) around the room. Its also available for download and to read online on project Gutenberg which you can access down under as well. Thank you, I see it's marked as horror.

Why does John resist the narrator's attempt to stimulate her mind and express her thoughts? thx! One of the major points in the story is that he doesn't pay any attention to what. What do the themes of insanity and depiction in "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Gilman have a relation to the time period which the story was set in? Explain your answer. Last updated by Aslan on 1/15/2020 4:17 AM The Yellow Wallpaper In the following lines, the narrator describes the wallpaper using an allusion to the bible: “The wallpaper, as I said before, is torn off in spots, and it sticketh closer than a brother—they must have had perseverance as … what activity does the narrator enjoy doing in spite of her husband and brother? Consider the narrators faces throughout the story what was most harmful to the narrators sanity ? or ask your favorite author a question with

Copyright © 1999 - 2020 GradeSaver LLC.

the Yellow wallpaper symbolizes the narrator: a wise woman who is just behind the scenes. This my thesis- The Yellow Wallpaper is used by Gilman as a symbol of social and economic repression and her struggle to free herself. I felt like she killed herself from the postpartum depression to join the others in the wall. This is based on the authors experiences as a patient suffereing from depression. Part B: which of the following passages best supports the answer to Part A?

Is this her last contact with sanity? The Yellow Wallpaper Questions.

What do her changing feelings about the wallpaper tell us about the changes in her condition?

Does anyone know of a story similar to that of the influence of color on a person's mind? The Yellow Wallpaper Discussion Questions Over the next several classes we will be discussing The Yellow Wallpaper. How does Charlotte Perkins Gilman order the events? How does the narrator room inform both her character and plot. Hey I have to write an essay on this book and I was wondering, how would I start my introduction?

What is his reaction?

[What happened at the end. How does that statement represent her state of mind.

She notes that she had seen them both stealing glances at the "paper" when they thought she wasn't looking. To what extent is the narrator reliable? Part A : which of the following best summarizes a central idea of the text ? I believe Jennie is short for Jane. Reader Q&A, Browse Questions; All; Answered; Unanswered; Active; You are on page 17 of 22. Why did John choose the room they are in? Hi - I took my AQA English Lit exam in June and received a good (though unmoderated) mark for my NEA.

Having read last year's examiner's report I'd exercise caution with The Yellow Wallpaper. You can pose questions to the Goodreads community with Related Questions What clues tell the reader that The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman is written in the first-person point of view? Or did she kill her husband? Not affiliated with Harvard College. Could the story have been taken in a different place (or at a different time)? What is the narrator doing at the end of the story.

In the following lines, the narrator describes the wallpaper using an allusion to the bible: “The wallpaper, as I said before, is torn off in spots, and it sticketh closer than a brother—they must have had perseverance as well as hatred” This quote allud. Home The Yellow Wallpaper Q & A Answered Ask a question and get answers from your fellow students and educators. Yellow represents wisdom, and wallpaper is something that is there but not payed attention to. What are John's reasons for not wanting to repair the room? What detail about the windows is odd? what deoes the creeping figure in the wallpaper represent? He got her to a new place, help me understand what he could have done to help her. Welcome back. Thanks. She did not kill herself in the story. resource to ask questions, find answers, and discuss literature.

Both Jane and John, in her mindset, were stopping her from freeing the women trapped behind the wallpaper. I too was considering using it, but from what AQA have said there its brevity could actually work against you if you don't focus enough on it as a literary work. [What do you think about this quote at the end of the book: "'I've got out at last,' said I, 'in spite of you and Jane." How is the story broken down into different sections?

Explain your answer.

The main character uses the pronouns I and my. In the context of this story what did it mean to be a woman in the 19th century America ?

As she came out of her depression she embellished and exaggerated the experiences she had and wrote The Yellow Wallpaper. Do you think John really has no comprehension of the seriousness of her illness? what is the narrator's brother's profession? The Question and Answer sections of our study guides are a great :) Is this an overly scary read?

She was apparently only allowed 2 hours of mental exercise per day w. This is based on the authors experiences as a patient suffereing from depression. They both discourage her from writing. Both Jane and John, in her mindset, were stopping her from freeing the women trapped behind the wallpaper. resource to ask questions, find answers, and discuss literature.

How does the narrator try to reach out to her husband? [ what unanswered questions do you have about this story? I believe Jennie is short for Jane. 10 questions answered. Where precisely in the story do you think it becomes clear that she has begun to hallucinate?

In your opinion are the themes in this story still relevant today ? We will read contemporary medical documents, suffrage literature, biographical information, critical responses, and do some response writing to understand the context surrounding the story’s publication.

how does gilman convey the belief prevalent in her time that women were emotionally unstable and prone to her ilness. What has driven the narrator to the brink of madness?How does she try to free herself from madness? What would "The Yellow Wallpaper" look like as a full-length novel? Ask the Author. [I am just wondering-- that is .. if anyone could explain to me -- How differently should have the husband treated her? BACK; NEXT ; Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer. Why do you think it’s presented in the short story form instead? Who is Jane? The theme of The Yellow Wallpaper is about the rigid distinctions in the domestic roles of men and women. “One of the great unanswered questions about Morris is why he never visited the mines or concerned himself with the welfare of the miners and their families,” Hawksley writes. Did anyone think of how not only was the woman driven to insanity by the rest cure but how the color affected her? Copyright © 1999 - 2020 GradeSaver LLC. Readers’ questions about The Yellow Wallpaper.

what are things John says to his wife and then explains and then explain how they would make her feel. She says, "I've got out at, does anyone have a copy of this book I can buy - In Australia please?

The Question and Answer sections of our study guides are a great what does the narrator see in the windows, John feels that the narrator in the yellow wallpaper is.