Prohm says Haliburton will be “blessed wherever he ends up,” but he’s got a spot in mind. And Haliburton was a role player at Iowa State averaging 6.8 points as a freshman. When NBA scouts visited Cyclones practices that season to see future second-round picks Marial Shayok and Talen Horton-Tucker, they often told Prohm, “Tyrese is your best prospect.” Haliburton probably could have gone in the early second round that year, but he wanted to assume more of a leadership role with Iowa State and boost his draft stock. He had a bigger impact on the games than we ever thought he could.”. But after beating out elite high school recruits who had Team USA experience, he emerged as a steadying force for a group loaded with future NBA players. You can email him here, follow him on Twitter and listen to the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Hour. “All of a sudden Tyrese, from freshman year to sophomore year, he was a guy who went from getting 8 points and five assists having games where he was scoring 29 points and having 10 double-doubles and stuff like that,” said Weber, who also coached against Haliburton at his full-time job at Kansas State. “It’s a dream walking across that stage and shaking his hand, putting that hat on, of course, but I think when you get that phone call and your name is called, you still get that experience of a dream coming true,” Vassell said.

“He went down on the same wrist that had been bothering him all year. It’s the most intriguing question of their offseason, with former lottery-pick point guards Frank Ntilikina and Dennis Smith Jr. already on the roster.

He’ll be able to hit the ground running when it comes to preparation. And then, recalling that Haliburton is a notorious gym rat, he dropped the percentage a bit more: 75-25. “He pushes me just like I push him,” Obi Toppin said. Tyrese Haliburton is an elite student-athlete currently attending Oshkosh North High School in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

In these cases, the average was taken. Tyrese Haliburton believes he has the talent to … Everybody steals stuff.

So he goes in the training room at halftime and says, ‘I’m OK. I’m playing.’ He came back and played seven minutes in the second half. Haliburton certainly isn’t lacking confidence. Still, Weber noted that Haliburton isn’t nearly as strong as Williams and doesn’t possess an equal pull-up jumper. Count. This page was last edited on 11 May 2020, at 19:22. Chris Dortch is the editor of the Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook. Equipped with a 6-foot-7.5-inch wingspan, the 6-foot-5, 175-pound Haliburton is a master at getting into passing lanes and making life difficult on the opponent’s top scorer. (Photo courtesy of Iowa State University) ... Prohm invited Haliburton and his parents… The coach was Kansas State’s Bruce Weber, who had gotten a front-row seat to Haliburton’s point guard skills during the 2018-19 season. He may not have the size and the athleticism of Magic Johnson and LeBron James but Tyrese Haliburton has their combination of vision, high basketball IQ, charisma, and leadership qualities. Most list Haliburton — then averaging 15.2 points, 5.9 rebounds, 6.5 assists, 2.5 steals and shooting 41 percent from 3 — as a high lottery pick. The N.B.A. But he also can be that spot-up shooter and spread defenses,” Weber said. Obviously, we knew he could shoot. Iowa State assistant coach Daniyal Robinson remembered Haliburton saying his father had told him, ‘Once you get to Iowa State, find the best player, and do what he does.’”. The injury did nothing to dissuade Haliburton from finalizing the most important decision of his basketball career. Haliburton, 20, was upset he wouldn’t be able to finish his sophomore year or lead Iowa State to the NCAA basketball tournament.

But Weber couldn’t guarantee it. “His understanding of spacing is elite. Sign up to receive NBA emails! “I wouldn’t say if you asked me when I was 18, I would have thought I’d be where I am now,” Haliburton says. Devin Vassell, the former Florida State star, is binge-watching “Stranger Things” and “Fargo.” After his final workout of the day, Haliburton typically catches up with friends or plays cards with his family, the choice games being Uno and Phase 10.