Under Cluess, Iona won five MAAC tournament championships and four regular season titles. Following a season-long battle with an undisclosed illness, Tim Cluess resigned as Gaels head coach Friday after 10 years. Cluess Resigns As Iona Coach Due To Health Reasons. "I look forward to my new role and assisting the College in every way I can going forward," Cluess said. Even if Iona could land a coach who has won a national championship like Pitino, it would struggle to approach Cluess’ unprecedented accomplishments — including five MAAC Tournament championships and four regular season championships — again. I am proud of what we've accomplished together and look forward to supporting the program in my new advisory role.".

However, the Gaels finished the season 12-17 and 9-11 overall in conference play. How good does Olivier Sarr make Kentucky basketball? I am proud of what we've accomplished together and look forward to supporting the program in my advisory role.". Cluess was named the league's Coach of the Year in 2014 and 2019 and was honored by the Met Basketball Writers Association at its Coach of the Year in 2018. However, the Gaels finished the season 12-17 and 9-11 overall in conference play. I am proud of what we've accomplished together and look forward to supporting the program in my new advisory role.". A comprehensive list of schools cutting sports or permanently closing. "We're extremely proud of Tim Cluess and how he represented our program over the last ten years," said Iona athletic director Matthew Glovaski. Greg, Bill Phillips and I were classmates and belonged to the same clubs. HoopDirt is your source for the latest college basketball coaching news, rumors, and job postings. Cluess went to six NCAA tournaments in … Tim Cluess. "He elevated Iona men's basketball and put us into the national spotlight on an annual basis. Cluess is currently in his tenth season at Iona, where he owns a 199-108 record. Following a season-long battle with an undisclosed illness, Tim Cluess resigned as Gaels head coach Friday after 10 years. Like us on Facebook to see similar stories, US hits 100,000 new COVID cases in a single day, DoorDash just opened its first physical location as the pandemic fuels a ghost kitchen boom. Your California Privacy Rights "I want to sincerely thank the Iona College community and administration for the opportunity to be a part of Gael Nation for the past ten years," Cluess said in a statement released by the college. “I appreciate the concern and care that the Iona Community … has demonstrated for me and my family over the past few months as I have been dealing with a complicated health issue that kept me from coaching. He won either the regular-season and conference tournament championship every season from 2012 to 2019. Cluess, 61, had led Iona to six NCAA Tournament appearances since 2012. Head Men’s Basketball Coach – Middlesex County College, Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach (2 positions) – SUNY Ulster. Terms of Use Walmart’s best early Black Friday deals to shop right now, Sephora VIB sale's 19 top deals on royal beauty must-haves in 2020, Thanksgiving meal kits and delivery services for an easy holiday feast, 20 unique Christmas gift ideas for everyone on your 2020 list, Save over 15% on this 15-piece cutlery set from Cuisinart, Patrick Duffy and 'Happy Days' actress Linda Purl are dating, Trump campaign scores legal win in Pennsylvania vote count. Cluess, who missed the entire 2019-20 season with an undisclosed illness, said he will serve the program in an advisory role to focus on making a full recovery.

Listen on Apple Podcasts | Spotify, Jalen Rose: Renaissance Man "We're extremely proud of Tim Cluess and how he represented our program over the last ten years," said Matt Glovaski, the college's Director of Athletics. "He elevated Iona men's basketball and put us into the national spotlight on an annual basis.". Listen on Apple Podcasts | Spotify, Gang's All Here: A NY Jets Podcast I athletes, The American 2020-21 predictions -- A Memphis rebound, and Wichita State's dark cloud, Fatal flaws for every team in college basketball's Way-Too-Early Top 25. "On behalf of myself and my family, I want to thank Gael Nation, including every student-athlete I had to honor to coach, for their ever-present vocal support. According to Iona officials, Cluess is “not officially on medical leave. Bryant’s 39-year-old coach Jared Grasso, a lieutenant of Cluess’ from 2010-18, is also considered a top candidate. He will remain with the … He missed the entire 2019-20 season with an undisclosed illness. Don't miss any of our exclusive coverage. "I want to sincerely thank the Iona College community and administration for the opportunity to be a part of Gael Nation for the past ten years," Cluess said in a statement released by the college.

NEW: A comprehensive list of schools cutting sports or permanently closing. He missed the entire 2019-20 season with an undisclosed illness. News Iona head men’s basketball Tim Cluess has not been on the bench for the Gael’s first two games of the season, and did not travel with the team on their current trip to Florida.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information, Your California Privacy Rights We will continue to support Tim and his family as he manages his health matter and are very happy he will continue to contribute in an advisory role and remain an important part of the Iona family.”. Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. Privacy Notice

Additionally, Iona won four regular-season titles during Cluess' tenure. Listen on Apple Podcasts | Spotify, © 2020 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved "I want to sincerely thank the Iona College community and administration for the opportunity to be a part of Gael Nation for the past 10 years," Cluess said in a statement. Josh Thomson, Rockland/Westchester Journal News, Men's basketball: Tim Cluess resigns after at Iona College due to health.

After a 10-year stint that is arguably the best in MAAC men's basketball history, Tim Cluess informed Iona College and his players on Friday that he has resigned as head coach. Cluess, who coached for 14 years at St. Mary’s High School in Manhasset and one season at Suffolk Community College, went 98-23 in four seasons (2006-10) at Division II C.W. Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article. THE BEST INSIGHTS FROM THE ULTIMATE INSIDERS, Blue Rush: A NY Giants Podcast Cluess' teams went 199-106 during his nine seasons at the helm, which is both the highest win total and highest winning percentage among the 23 Division I schools in the metropolitan area and second to Syracuse among the 22 Division I schools in the state. Cluess kept busy during his absence watching film, sending notes and having conversations with players, and advising acting head coach Tra Arnold. Your Ad Choices This article originally appeared on Rockland/Westchester Journal News: Men's basketball: Tim Cluess resigns after at Iona College due to health, Like us on Facebook to see similar stories, US hits 100,000 new COVID cases in a single day, DoorDash just opened its first physical location as the pandemic fuels a ghost kitchen boom. Although Cluess' advisory role remains undefined and the college will have to hire his replacement, he hopes to benefit the coaching staff. Prior to his time at Iona, Cluess, a Queens native, served as head coach at LIU Post from 2006-2010, where he took the team to an Elite Eight appearance in the 2009 NCAA Division II Tournament. Greg Cluess, Tim's second-oldest brother, was 26 when he died from lymphoma in 1976, five years after the New York Nets picked him in the American Basketball Association draft. He missed the entire 2019-20 season with an undisclosed illness. Former assistant coach and current Bryant head coach Jared Grasso is expected to be among the candidates to replace Cluess, along with Saint Peter's head coach Shaheen Holloway, sources told ESPN.

Language; Watch; Edit; Timothy Michael Cluess (born March 9, 1959) is an American college basketball coach who most recently was the head men's basketball coach at Iona College; a position he took over from Kevin Willard on April 8, 2010. The Gaels were eliminated by Saint Peter's in the second round of the MAAC tournament Wednesday -- an event which was canceled before a champion was crowned due to coronavirus concerns. Josh Thomson is the Local Sports Editor for The Journal News and Poughkeepsie Journal. Tim Cluess Update . Greg Cluess, Tim's second-oldest brother, was 26 when he died from lymphoma in 1976, five years after the New York Nets picked him in the American Basketball Association draft. He finished with 199 wins and a .650 winning percentage, the highest marks among any New York Metropolitan program in Division I during his tenure. Post. "I look forward to my new role and assisting the College in every way I can going forward," Cluess said. Sign up today for a subscription. March 13, 2020 | 2:30pm | Updated March 13, 2020 | 7:08pm. Thanks for contacting us. Cluess leaves the program with a 199-108 record. But he stays in touch with his players and acting coach Tra Arnold virtually every day by text. He is also a former coach of Long Island University–C.W. Arizona freshman Batcho out after knee surgery, OSU PG Porter won't play due to medical issue, Louisville to host 9-team Wade Houston Tipoff, Butler assistant Meyer retiring, citing COVID fears, Arizona eliminating 21 jobs as part of $30M cut, OU legend Tubbs, founder of 'Billy Ball', dies at 85, Kentucky lands No.

“We’re extremely proud of Tim Cluess and how he represented our program over the last ten years,” Iona Director of Athletics Matthew Glovaski said. He will remain with the program in an advisory role. We've received your submission. Additionally, Iona won four regular-season titles during Cluess' tenure. After a 10-year stint that is arguably the best in MAAC men's basketball history, Tim Cluess informed Iona College and his players on Friday that he has resigned as head coach. Founded, monitored, and run by college coaches. Cluess, who missed the entire 2019-20 season with an undisclosed illness, said he will serve the program in an advisory role to focus on making a full recovery. "I appreciate the concern and care that the Iona Community, in particular Dr. (Seamus) Carey, has demonstrated for me and my family over the past few months as I have been dealing with a complicated health issue that kept me from coaching.". Because... Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Tagged with: Iona MAAC Tim Cluess. The school said he will shift into an advisory role moving forward. Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Related Posts .

Jeff Borzello ESPN Staff Writer Iona head coach Tim Cluess is stepping down because of health reasons, the school announced Friday. Legacies are secure. He is … Iona head coach Tim Cluess is stepping down because of health reasons, the school announced Friday. "I appreciate the concern and care that the Iona Community, in particular Dr. Carey, has demonstrated for me and my family over the past few months as I have been dealing with a complicated health issue that kept me from coaching.