Three love stories in three different eras (1966, 1911 and 2005) in Hou's characteristic, philosophical and aesthetic style. Want to share IMDb's rating on your own site? The radiant, almost contemplative or prayer-like presentation of the women in all three tales simply reading letters or E-Mails reminds one of nothing so much as Vermeer.In each part the style perfectly matches the themes - restraint (whether tentative and hesitant, or formalized and implacable) in the first two, and gorgeous excess in the last.And in each section there is a succession of moments so beautiful, so "right" and so new, one really wants to shout it from the rooftops.Whilst Three Times perhaps lacks the cumulative dramatic power of the two earlier films, it shares with them the exhilaration one gets from knowing one is viewing a great artist at the peak of his powers, the sense that he can literally do anything he wants, that no subject is beyond him.If you haven't seen these films do yourself a favor and seek them out - they are quite possibly among the most important art of our time. With the film’s trio of (40ish minute) stories – each featuring the pairing of actors Shu Qi and Chang Chen in what could loosely be described as 'love stories’ ( A Time for Love/ Freedom/ Youth) and set in 1966, 1911 and 2005 Taiwan (three periods of great political significance for the country) – I found that Hou was able to maintain my engagement throughout, ‘cutting through’ the man’s distinctive style of elliptical narrative (often featuring minimal dialogue and time-shifting) and extended takes to create a brilliant, thematically rich piece of cinema, with some stunning cinematography, courtesy of Mark Lee Ping-bing and a varied and evocative musical soundtrack. An emotional journey, a showcase for two fine actors, and a multifaceted picture of love. By creating an account, you agree to the Privacy Policy And I wouldn't recommend Three Times as a first film to watch for those curious of Hou Hsiao-hsien movies. Select the department you want to search in.

Three Times marks a resoundingly successful return to this theme.

Was this review helpful to you? All done almost effortlessly. Great cinema, pop romance that carries a special charge.

| Rating: 3.5/4, July 7, 2006

For most people, it happens frequently. In "A Time for Love," set in 1966, a soldier (Chen Chang) meets an alluring pool-hall hostess (Shu Qi).

Micky (segment "A Time for Youth"), Billiard Player (segment "A Time for Love"), Billiard Player (segment "A Time for Love")Mr. Su (segment "A Time for Freedom") /

He financially helps the courtesan Ah Mei to become a concubine. Three Times (2) "A Time for Freedom": In 1911, in Dadaochend, the writer Mr. Chang works for Mr. Liang and frequently travels to a brothel, where he meets the singer. Three stories set in three times, 1911, 1966 and 2005. Grandmother (segment "A Time for Youth"), Hostess (segment "A Time for Love") / I agree to a degree! Coming Soon. Three romantic tales take place in different eras.

Copyright © Fandango. Three Times shows Hou Hsiao-Hsien developing further the themes of his two dazzling earlier works Flowers of Shanghai and Millennium Mambo.It consists of three tales of love and its vicissitudes: A Time for Love, set in 1966, A Time for Freedom set in 1911, and A Time for Youth, set in the present.As with all great art, everything lies in the style, the tempo, pacing, control of light, the compositions and framing, the control of tone, the nuances of facial expressions and bodily poses and movements, and the way all these amplify and develop the subject.The incidents depicted are spare and in the case of the first tale almost non existent.

Rentals include 30 days to start watching this video and 48 hours to finish once started. All photographed with such visual beauty that watching the movie is like holding your breath so the butterfly won't stir.

A glimpse at the lives of two petty criminals in Taipei. Featuring three chronologically separate stories of love between May and Chen, which he sets in 1911, 1966 and 2005, using the same lead actors, very talented and charming Shu Qi and Chang Chen, we are introduced to three varieties of love: unfulfilled, mercenary, meaningless. Sidney Poitier’s 7 Most Memorable Performances, All Harry Potter Movies Ranked Worst to Best by Tomatometer.

Of the three time periods in the movie, I related most to the 1966 Kaohsiung as the 60s was the period of my teens, and the moviette oozed that vibe, whilst the growing relationship between the stars - Shu Qi and Chang Chen - had that innocence to it which for me was totally of that time.

Excellent movie for Hou Hsiao-hsien fans or those wanting to learn more of Hou Hsiao-hsien films. There's a problem loading this menu right now. The director of this wonderfully executed story triptich is Hou Hsiao-Hsien. I have dipped my toe in the water of Taiwanese film-maker Hou Hsiao-hsien and have seemingly come up trumps (although I’ll admit perhaps not with that mixed metaphor!). |. Written by | Rating: 4/4

Reviewed in the United States on October 3, 2020.

With Qi Shu, Chen Chang, Fang Mei, Shu-Chen Liao. August 1, 2006 Each is set in a different era but utilizes the same actors. Sign in to see videos available to you. In hindsight, they are not so much about love as they are about longing. Can someone (Artificial Eye, are you reading?) This Is Us Recap: A Traumatizing Cabin Visit Serves Up More Time-Jump Clues, Film Review: Three Times (2005) by Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Film Review: Cities of Last Things (2018) by Wi Ding Ho, The 25 best films of the 21st century /nytimes, NY Times: 25 Best Movies of the 21st Century. Coming Soon. Three romantic tales take place in different eras. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 8, 2015. The different couples are each played convincingly by Shu Qi and Chang Chen. (2) "A Time for Freedom": In 1911, in Dadaochend, the writer Mr. Chang works for Mr. Liang and frequently travels to a brothel, where he meets the singer. Fascinating as they are, I feel both lack the ingredient which many hold out as being the quintessential essence of Hou’s world, namely his passion for history, especially as refracted through people’s personal lives.

The image is an example of a ticket confirmation email that AMC sent you when you purchased your ticket.