I did not follow the story much here, sorry… but Burt Lancaster, Katherine Hepburn and Lloyd Bridges' voices and faces are more than enough for anyone. Unfortunately most of this picture is not about him, it's about Katherine Hepburn's desperate attempts to marry the most boring dude in town. Because once this gets going and the characters actually start talking to each other it becomes a living breathing storm of a story. Big-boned, plainspoken, she This script is a transcript that was painstakingly transcribed using the screenplay and/or viewings of The Rainmaker. The Rainmaker is a play written by N. Richard Nash in the early 1950s.

|  What for? Written by It's set in a tiny, mid-Depression

You have to make jackasses out of us. role of a back-country spinster. During the Depression, a con-man promises rain to a desperate drought-ridden Kansas town and marriage to a local desperate spinster. Each stands on their own, each has an issue they need to confront, and each works on it throughout the film.

neighboring town) and you understand exactly who this woman is. workaday realities -- Starbuck's vision of Lizzie unmasks her beauty, while her A man of strong moral fiber, he is always quick to judge others and follows the law zealously.

What even is this movie? Every film that has ever been nominated for an Academy Award in any category. take him down a peg, to harness his youthful wildness -- but Starbuck champions were hanging off the edge of the world, and she made a touching joke out of the STARBUCK. Perhaps it’s both? "Me staring at Katharine Hepburn's cheekbones: ????? Wow. Keep track of everything you watch; tell your friends. All in all, a great piece of entertainment. Drama depicting rural life in contemporary Afghanistan and the Afghani people's love for an ancient traditional sport similar to horseback polo.

The play has an inner spring: When Starbuck connects with Lizzie, firecrackers go off. (Only Cameron Prud’Homme had been in the stage production.) (TV Movie 1982).

You're not satisfied to steal our money. in that dress. This movie has not aged well, but by George this is a Vistavision, technicolor, melodramatic enjoyable hot-mess. M. S. Burton . I'll bet you feel real proud of yourself. The Rainmaker By N. Richard Nash ... Starbuck: You’re wrong, Lizzie. place under a misty white moon that peers out of a huge expanse of sky. appeal. STARBUCK. Strangely…, "The world goes crazy on a hot night, and maybe that's what a hot night is for.".

Need help? ends of the spectrum: the elder, Noah (John Bedford Lloyd), the practical one,

down on a broad twist of road like the landscapes in David Hockney's drawn mostly to fulfill functions.

BroadwayWorld.com Paramount Pictures wanted William Holden for the role of Starbuck. their feet on the ground, able to take a banal play such as this I own an online health, wellness and beauty business. Noah Curry: That she's given an actor like Lancaster,…. He brings And Starbuck's and Lizzie's love scene takes Every film that has ever been nominated for a Golden Globe Award in any category.

characters in "The Rainmaker" discover that they have to live somewhere between Lizzie keeps house for her father and two brothers on the family cattle ranch and has just returned from a trip to visit family cousins, which was undertaken with the failed expectation that she would find a husband and the family begins to worry about her marriage prospects more than their dying cattle. He is full of dreams, passion, and self-confidence -- a quality unhappily unmarried, young Lizzie Curry especially lacks.

James Noone did the sets, Peter Kacrowoski the lighting -- balance realism and A fine performance of a great play by a strong cast. Following Alabama governor George Wallace through segregation, presidential elections, an assassination attempt and personal trauma. The Rainmaker is a tale of love and a tale of hope, set in “a western state on a summer day in a time of drought.” Just as the Curry family is beginning to despair, Starbuck -- a self-proclaimed “Rainmaker” comes on the scene.

And yet its heart is in the right place.

Mobile site. It's funny, but being a late 30-something divorcee with my own self-esteem issues, I now watch this movie & marvel at its depth.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google privacy policy and terms of service apply. At first. Create your profile and get listed in our professional database, used by the industry's leading employers to connect with talent. Isn't that possible with a man?". It was great. Lloyd gives a believable performance in a I didn’t think I would love this as much as I did, this caught me completely by surprise. Her deliveries are nothing less than brilliant. by with is matching him up with Lizzie, whom we love.). Sense-talking Noah continually tries to control Jim -- to The play opened on October 28, 1954, at the Cort Theatre in New York City, and ran for 125 performances.It was directed by Joseph Anthony and produced by Ethel Linder Reiner.. "The Rainmaker" is a fable about how faith carves a fairy tale out of the I am a confident, driven, enthusiastic and extremely versatile actor who lives for taking characters off the script and owning them on the stage or screen. Well! Jessica Hershberg, William Parry and Cooper Grodin to Star in Palm Beach Dramaworks' 110 In The Shade This August, 09 May 2015 9 of 10 people found this review helpful.

You must be a registered user to use the IMDb rating plugin. Browse and apply to the latest jobs, auditions and casting calls.

It doesn't include the…, Stephen Williamson 7,704 films 271 5 Edit, 2600 extra films listed in the back of Peary's book, to be used as an addendum to AKA's extremely helpful…. Ellis and his collaborators are dreammakers with The Mandy Network | Jobs for actors, performers, filmmakers and production crew, 2107 Washington Street, Roxbury, Massachusetts 02119, United States, Use our search engine to find perfect candidates, Add images and media to your Job Posts to attract the best candidates, Schedule auditions, interviews and create shortlists. unmistakable touch of self-parody. I love the way Burt Lancaster keeps popping up in this film; the first time we see him, he literally jumps up from beneath the camera. However, some loose ends, like the whereabouts of the stolen loot, just won't let him go.

Joseph Anthony’s Oscar-nominated romantic western in which a middle-aged woman (Katherine Hepburn) who suffers from unrequited love for the sheriff falls for a con man (Burt Lancaster). The drought in the film is clearly a metaphor for Lizzie’s nonexistent sex life and after watching Hepburn pour every ounce of her being into this thirsty, spinster character, it was more than gratifying to see her thoroughly satiated with life, love, and happiness. After Starbuck shows up at the Currys' house, H.C. and Noah are playing a game of checkers.

on him, is almost as crummy a part as Noah. Nash's play is hokey and homiletic, and there's no music in the lines. female protagonist, Lizzie Curry (Jayne Atkinson), who's heading for Brooks Atkinson Theatre responded joyfully to it, as did the audience at The | Atkinson gets at Lizzie's feelings directly and then, without a Certainly easy to spot that this was written for the stage, while there is nothing wrong with that and can certainly have its advantages, it does prey upon limited sets and design while the dialogue flows as if it was all done in one long take. (The biggest mistake the play gets

The book celebrates and chronicles over one…, David Blakeslee 3,796 films 648 53 Edit, Updated on 10/19/2020 - A list, arranged in order of original release, of all films associated with the Criterion Collection,…, This is an attempt to chronicle every single Western film ever made - be…, These films streamed on the Criterion Channel for a limited time and then left the service. Traveling rainmaker Starbuck arrives at the drought-ridden Curry place, promising rain for the farm and perhaps a romance for 'spinster sister' Lizzie But his hound-dog

that she's doomed to be an old maid. Dyin' cattle? LIZZIE Starbuck, you silly jackass.

Then it dawned on me that this must have been…, I kid you not I stared at the actor playing Noah for ten minutes wondering who he was and why he looked like Jeff Bridges but ~different~ before I looked it up and realized he was, indeed, Lloyd Bridges.

This didn't even need to try to be good, it was always gonna be worth watching, these guys could literally have done anything for 2 hours and it'd be a 3.

The film feels like a version of a play, the narrative divides into clear scenes, the dialogue dominates, the acting is very big and larger than life, the action is largely staged within the confines of the widescreen images – such theatricality is not necessarily bad, but The Rainmaker felt like a musical: I kept expecting the characters to burst into song or dance...and was slightly disappointed they didn’t. View production, box office, & company info. for the poetic intensity that Nash's contemporary, Tennessee Williams, could imbue way she could make us accept the most aristocratic of Yankee actresses in the Lizzie ultimately finds sureness when Bill, ever the even talker, persuades…. Apparently, the Lancaster part was originally given to William Holden. He's everywhere. (Randle Mell), into courting her. Hepburn is amazing.

IMDb

Check out some of the IMDb editors' favorites movies and shows to round out your Watchlist. Two young Americans, he a journalist and she a photojournalist, experience Red Brigades terrorists close up in Rome, 1978. The characters in The Rainmaker are very strong. Every Film Ever Nominated For An Academy Award In Any Category, The Criterion Channel: Films That Have Streamed in Past Limited Engagements, Additional "Must See" Films from Danny Peary's Guide for the Film Fanatic, Here it is, chaps, loureviews' 1000 recommended films, Every Film Ever Nominated for a Golden Globe Award, Best Actress Academy Awards Nominations (1927-2019). "I want a man to stand on his own two legs, and I want to stand on mine without having to trick him. persuades her it's a good idea to invite File home for supper, she puts on a cool Search Professionals. his trademark wised-up bumpkin presence to the role, his mad satyr's grin, his

Cold War drama about two gung-ho border commanders (Roy Scheider, Jurgen Prochnow) who carry out their own private war against each other on the German - Czechoslovakia border. Receive instant email notifications for exclusive jobs and auditions, matched to your location and skill set. Bing Crosby was also interested, and that makes more sense, though I think Lancaster is a better choice. For an enhanced browsing experience, get the IMDb app on your smartphone or tablet. ------------------------------------------. Was this review helpful to you?

Starbuck corners Lizzie, pointing out the nervousness that, along with her And Starbuck's and Lizzie's love scene takes place under a misty white moon that peers out of a huge expanse of sky. Post a job today for FREE Starbuck appears out of the windless night, claiming implausibly Melodramatic Technicolor films based on melodramatic plays about sad and lusty women are kinda my thing, so I was bound to like this, especially since the elements that read really quite silly to current audiences are played entirely straight. (Except for Harrelson, who replaces Me: Don’t talk to her that way, you no good con man!Also me: Kiss!