Me da miedo la poesía y no entenderla, pero me gustó harto la forma en que escribia Carson y la historia, si bien me perdí a ratos. Another element of this poem that captures the writer’s restlessness is the imagery. Known as a remarkable classicist, Anne Carson weaves contemporary and ancient poetic strands with stunning style in Glass, Irony and God.This collection includes: "The Glass Essay," a powerful poem about the end of a love affair, told in the context of Carson's reading of the Brontë sisters; "Book of Isaiah," a poem evoking the deeply primitive feel of ancient Judaism; an Is there a great poet of our lifetimes? From a writer’s perspective, this demonstrates consistency. Carson weaves Brontë into The Glass Essay in a way that builds movement and makes explicit the writer’s own anxiety around becoming a recluse like Brontë, owing to the breakdown of her relationship. "Well there are many ways of being held prisoner". If no one can hang puppies like Emily Brontë; no one can braid rope like Carson. The Glass Essay is one of my favorite pieces of writing I have ever read. Loved the glass essay, enjoyed the book of Isaiah and reread the gender of sound 3 times because it is so powerful and important. This is one of the best fucking books I've ever read. She has also won a Lannan Literary Award. that's kind of how literature works? The Glass Essay is amazing. Instead, the text becomes a balanced mixture of banality (in the daily musings of the speaker’s mother, which mirror the routine nature that can tinge long-term relationships) and the deeply personal (replicated in the “Nudes”). Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Refresh and try again. In Autobiography of Red: A Novel in Verse (1998),… It captures the rough-hewn brutality I remember in the earlier parts of the Torah/Old Testament: with God as a petulant child, constantly arguing with his favorites, and. This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Anne Carson published Glass, Irony, and God in 1995, and although the collection was not showered with prizes like some of her later books its opening poem, "The Glass Essay," has come to define Carson's narrative technique. Anne Carson is brilliant. There are no discussion topics on this book yet. A partir de la fractura sentimental va urdiendo este tejido híbrido con el conocimiento que posee de la vida y obra de su escritora favorita, con las  emociones y reflexiones ante el abandono de su amado Law, y con la presencia de su madre, figura que convoca recuerdos, sentimientos y la relación matrimonial de sus padres, ahora enfrentados a la vejez y la enfermedad. greaty+permanently appreciate the way carson discusses womanhood from the perspective of someone who is both stymied by and disidentifies with it. I was wary that the book would not be able to keep up its running start from "A Glass Essay," but I was intrigued by "TV Men," and so entranced by "The Fall of Rome" that I started it over again when I read the last installment, before going on to the rest of the book. Be the first to ask a question about Glass, Irony and God. Be on the lookout for your Britannica newsletter to get trusted stories delivered right to your inbox. there is something about how anne carson manages the very long poem that i will be pondering and studying for a very long time.

1994 This is my third or fourth? i get this guy's point, anne carson's poetry is western culture taken apart and put back together again, but it's annoyingly facile. Needless to say, I really enjoyed the challenge. I’ve spent a considerable time mulling over this poem. as usual, some of this went over my head (sorry to Book of Isaiah), but i know i'll be revisiting The Glass Essay, TV Men, and the Gender of Sound for years to come. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. I don't get it; I don't get the importance; I don't understand the bonding and meaning that sports/God provides. Refresh and try again. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. obviously, gorgeous, knife-like. No one weaves together multiple strands of thought and feeling together as elegantly and poignantly as Anne Carson and the effect is a sort of gasping heartache of beauty, devastation, and a rooted sense of knowing. La voz que se expresa en estos escritos es una mujer recientemente separada que visita a su madre y se declara admiradora de Emily Brontë. The essay at the end, "The Gender of Sound" provides clues for you to unravel when reading Plainwater, which would be a smart next step.