I'm a policemouse. Savvy kids are going to catch the little lines -, The entire book in this new series for early readers is packaged quite nicely with a case file report on the end papers and the appearance of a crumpled paper bag on which part of the book is written.

When Miss Rabbit's carrot cake vanishes, Missing Food Investigators (MFIs) Captain Griswold and Detective Wilcox take the case and solve the crime.

Or eaten? LOVE it! I hope to see sequels.

Or both? Summaries. I’m sure he’d be able to fix that motherboard in a jiffy. “When food goes missing on Ed’s farm, Detectives Wilcox and Griswold do what it takes to track down the thieves.

Good thing the MFI’s are on the case, with Captain Griswold and Detective Wilcox as lead investigators. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Simultaneously no-nonsense and full of nonsense, Newman’s Dragnet-style narrative works in a bevy of food- and animal-themed crime jokes as the two Missing Food Investigators interview suspects across the farmyard (Porcini the pig’s rap sheet “was a mile long for corn robberies, but he had no cake priors”). Oh, Robin!

I am unsure as to the age range suggested.

And she loved them for dinner." well, I can, but really want to read about this second important case. dry?

This was a quick, fun chapter book for younger readers.

The entire book in this new series for early readers is packaged quite nicely with a case file report on the end papers and the appearance of a crumpled paper bag on which part of the book is written. My goodness, this cake is so moist and . The captain and I were working the day shift when we got our first call . May 12th 2015 Its use of phrases, metaphors and idioms can be complex for children; however, the language actually works really well with the books simpler features. why is a rat infiltrating KLR? When reading a book I consider the recommended audience. Refresh and try again. She liked them for lunch. Here's hoping for more hard-boiled detecting from Wilcox and Griswold! I loved this tongue - in - cheek transitional chapter book. You must either like carrot cake and want to know how to protect your piece of cake–or you do not like carrot cake and think the orange veggie should be used in a more honorable fashion. Illustrator’s agent: Ronnie Ann Herman, Herman Agency. Beginning Introduction of characters: Enter problem/conflict: Middle Detectives investigate clues You can view Barnes & Noble’s Privacy Policy.

I concur, detective. Who took Miss Rabbit's missing carrot cake? The. Will the residents of Ed’s Farm ever be safe from bakery thieves? All Rights Reserved A cute story with likable characters. We follow along as Detective Wilcox and Captain Griswold try to crack the case. Some horse around.

He was picking up his dinner in the field); Porcini, the Pig (a convicted corn robber, he was with Miss Rabbit—she refused a refreshing hot cup of slop); Hot Dog, a dog (evidence is found!

The repeated food-based idioms (hard nut to crack, slower than molasses, take the cake) alternate with puns that a young reader will appreciate. I’ve been dead for two years and I still post on blogs! She has written and illustrated many books for young readers.

Start by marking “A Wilcox and Griswold Mystery: The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake” as Want to Read: Error rating book. Most all characters here are fictitious. Definitely a series I'd recommend to any second or third grade teacher.

“It was 10:00 Monday morning. Over 100 animals on Ed's farm means there's a lot of suspects. "She liked them for breakfast. One of my favorite children's book series when my boys were little was NATE THE GREAT, and this little gem of a book is just as fun and funny. The second time readers will notice "breadcrumbs" left by the author that help them solve the crime. Please excuse the unfinished post. The boss is Captain Griswold. Others steal.

I love Robin’s book and really enjoy seeing it all over the place! I liked this book because it was very entertaining while also being informational. Please read the blog policy page. There are plenty of amusing characters and even more hilarious puns to be found along the way. . When food goes missing on Ed's farm, Detectives Wilcox and Griswold do what it takes to track down the thieves.

Here's hoping for more hard-boiled detecting from Wilcox and Griswold! This will be a great book to use to introduce the mystery genre to my 1st and 2nd graders. Here is the first title in a fresh new series that really takes the cake!

The language and inferences will not be caught by the younger reader. I loved the format of the book as it appealed to my longtime love of crime stories and TV shows. .

When Miss Rabbit leaves her carrot cake (with cream-cheese icing) out to cool and returns later to find only a mess of crumbs, she calls Detective Wilcox and Capt. Nothing to see here.

Use this as a mentor text for teaching use of idioms. This is a great story!

Publisher calls for ages 4-8. It's all great fun as the two follow various leads and interview many animal suspects. I hope there are more cases to solve. The MFI detectives can delight readers again and again .

Cute beginning chapter book mystery. I made my 17 year old younger son read it with me and we both got such a giggle from it. (no biting please, that was simply an observation). That’s when mouse investigators Detective Wilcox and Captain Griswold spring into action. Publisher calls for ages 4-8. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published Wonderful read-aloud with lots of humor and great characters. Purchase The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake at Amazon—Book Depository—Creston Books. . I’ve missed coming around and hope it will become a more regular thing again , Pingback: List of May KidLit Reviews | Loving KidLit. Javascript is not enabled in your browser. To open their investigation, they slide down the rabbit hole, but Miss Rabbit does not have a crumb of an idea. Students can predict "whodunit"and together enjoy Robin Newman's clever use of language. This combination makes it accessible for most whilst also having broad challenges. I would like to know how these characters get out of their respective books. The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake will delight readers. Please excuse the unfinished post. Readers ready for chapter books will solve the crime and then be surprised by the twist at the end. X When the book is completed, maybe the class can share a carrot cake made from the recipe at the end of the book. Use this as a mentor text for teaching use of idioms. Great mystery with lots of voice! 'She liked them for breakfast. Be the first to ask a question about A Wilcox and Griswold Mystery. First sentence: Boys and girls, this case is about thieves on Ed's farm. Enabling JavaScript in your browser will allow you to experience all the features of our site. X

978-1-939547-17-0 Illustrations copyright © 2015 by Deborah Zemke. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account.

Or both? A Wilcox and Griswold Mystery: The Case of the Missing Carrot Cake by Robin Newman is a delightful Children's/FarmAnimal/ Mystery. Definitely a series I'd recommend to any second or third grade teacher. She lives in New York.

The second time readers will notice "breadcrumbs" left by the author that help them solve the crime. Where did suspect number four hide? What a hoot (no pun intended-there’s an owl in the story) he can be when not trying to solve a case.

I will get all images and links up as soon as I can.