So many young ladies have felt the pain of heartbreak, but their hearts lived to see another love. "Kentucky by Design: The Decorative Arts and American Culture". Called the "Dean of American Balladeers,"[1] Niles was an important influence on the American folk music revival of the 1950s and 1960s, with Joan Baez, Burl Ives, Peter, Paul and Mary and Bob Dylan, among others, recording his songs. John Jacob Niles (born April 28, 1892 in Louisville, Kentucky, died March 1, 1980 in Lexington, Kentucky) was an American composer, singer, and collector of traditional ballads. Asked by Wiki User. It's quite an amazing feat to hold all those tears with a heart that is broken; many people can't even do it with a heart that is whole.

Once he left the room, Mama would ask if he touched her in any other way, and my sister would say that he had only touched her in sweet ways. It's much like trying to hold spring water with a cracked pitcher. She begged him for his reason, tears welling in her sky colored eyes, but he merely laughed and said that she was a whore who would sleep with any man who paid her notice. She knew how to calm him, and she convinced him instead to build a small home for my sister in the woods far away. His face remained cold, and he restated the same. He made four extended trips into the southern Appalachians as an assistant to photographer Doris Ulmann, again transcribing traditional songs from oral sources, including the ballads "Pretty Polly", "Barbara Allen", and "He's Goin' Away". 2015. I can't remember how much later it happened, it could have been years, it could have been weeks, but in the middle of the town square one day, he told her that he never wanted to see her again. "I suppose you could say something like that." I've grown to be a lovely young woman, and many men have tried to court me. Where the wild birds can't find her nor hear her heart cry. For other uses, see, Learn how and when to remove this template message, Black Is the Color (Of My True Love's Hair), "John Jacob Niles : Folk Singer. When Papa would ask if he touched her in any other way, she would say no. He also composed the haunting Christmas song "I Wonder As I Wander". Song information for The Black Dress - John Jacob Niles on AllMusic

Bob Dylan quoted its first line in his song "It Ain't Me Babe." He is buried at the nearby St. Hubert's Episcopal Church in Clark County, KY. Niles is well known for his original song "Go 'Way From My Window", as well as the many traditional ballads he collected in the Appalachian region of the United States, such as "Pretty Polly" and "Barbara Allen". He also composed the haunting Christmas song "I Wonder As I Wander". Answer. Born in Louisville, Kentucky, Niles learned music theory from his mother, and began writing down folk music as a teenager. Around the time I was ten, too young to understand the true meaning of what was happening around me, my older sister fell in love with the biggest knave of the town. This is so beautiful, I was almost brought to tears. Niles died in Lexington, Kentucky on March 1, 1980, at age 87. My sister just laughed slightly, assuming he was joking. [2] He sang opera in Chicago and folk songs on early radio. My sister's did not. He avoided serious relationships like the plague, which is why it surprised all in town that he was openly courting my sister, instead of just speaking empty words of admiration. He is often called 'The Dean of American Balladeers'. His songs, many based on traditional sources, include "Venezuela," and the haunting Christmas song "I Wonder As I Wander." The Black Dress - Niles with guide vocals, The Black Dress (Niles) - Anabelle Wright-Gatton, Festival 2014 - Antony - The Black Dress (John Jacob Niles) (RCM Voice Gr.6), Traditional (arr. Niles is well known for his original song 'Go 'Way From My Window', as Wiki User Answered . She took a breath and looked toward the ceiling in an attempt to keep any tears from leaking past her lashes. Around the time I was ten, too young to understand the true meaning of what was happening around me, my older sister fell in love with the biggest knave of the town.

Even though our intentions were good, it's her you hear crying when the wind whistles. After serving in the U.S. Army Air Service during World War I, in which he was injured, he studied music in France, first in Lyon, then in Paris at the Schola Cantorum, also meeting Gertrude Stein. My Mother, knowing his intentions even before my father, blocked the doorway. She and Mama thought I was napping in bed, or out playing in the fields, but really I was behind the door, listening to every word as the sun went down. In the 1920s, Niles began publishing music.

Even I have been affected. Henry Miller's Plexus includes a powerful tribute to Niles's recording of this song. I thought that boys were icky at the time, so she was stupid anyway. She laughed as if there were some hidden meaning that I didn't understand. That way the cad could never take pleasure in her pain, and she could never be ridiculed or made a mockery of for her naïve folly by any of the people in town. It was impossible for a knight in shining armor to save her because she had loved the knave so completely that no matter how handsome, or brave, or chivalrous the knight was, her heart would never accept another as her one love.