The past few months I have been reassessing my situation and have found myself missing the benefits, routine and security of being an employee over an employer and have been thinking I must be crazy - because isn't "being the boss" what every driven professional wants? Working 9-to-5 is not a natural state for most of us. A symbol of a dull and boring life?

But in this field, it’s about adoring start ups and freelancing, almost braggingg about it. Now, I no longer get to do the recreational things I use to enjoy and can't ever really totally unplug and go on vacation b/c if there is an issue with the business that needs to be addressed, there is no choice but to stop what you are doing and address it because no one else is. Finally, a simple solution to those funky feet. As well as the actual cost of working an ordinary job, work lunch tends to cost more since it has to be portable (in my case if I'm off work I eat less but better), and you have to pay for gas or taxis or public transport to actually get around. Or – this will blow your mind – what about the hundreds of thousands of folks who are too busy surviving to worry about authenticity? That isn't even taking into account things like your natural body clock, health (both physical and mental), and outside factors that can stretch your minimal amount of time even thinner.

Here’s What’s Next, The Complete Guide to Your Insane Working Hours, 10 Important Things to Remember for Intentional Living, 20 Best Mac Apps for Productivity You Need in 2020, How to Develop Mental Toughness and Stay Strong, Eisenhower Matrix Example: Eisenhower Matrix Template, Your Ultimate Productivity Guide for the New Year, First Things First: The 5 Secrets to Prioritization, Why YouTube’s chief wants parents to take more time off, Warren Buffett Says Most People End up Being Average Because They Don’t Keep This List, How To Organize Your Life By Priority And Not Urgency, A Complete Guide to Goal Setting for Personal Success. But hey - there's always that two-hour-a-day commute and the florescent-lit cube to look forward to. Live smarter, look better,​ and live your life to the absolute fullest. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates when we post new blogs and other content. Working has become more flexible. However, starting a new business takes time and money that I didn't necessarily have saved up, so I applied to a prestige cruise ship company call center to make ends meet until things for my agency were off and running. Now, we're lucky if we get, say, 50% matching on the first 4% of so of our salary that we have directed into a 401K - something that was never originally intended to provide retirement for people. The real story behind the NCAA basketball tournament's bankable nickname. I could set my own hours and be more flexible, having more time to spend with my family. All rights reserved.

I pursued the degree in science and I'm glad I did. In this sense, work is held up as something revelatory about your character. It's well known that certain personalities shout louder than others in the blogosphere. Structure means productivity and for some personalities, this level of focus is a must. The problem, of course, is that in salaried positions, you're not actually paid for the amount of time you spend working. Humans are not robots, we don't plug in and perform at the same rate of output for eight hours straight. It is the secret handshake of the privileged and a worldview that disguises its elitism as noble self-betterment. Personality Test (Myers & Briggs' 16 Types), The Secret to Finding a Compatible Partner, How to Develop the Weaker Parts of Your Personality (Hint: It’s a Process, Not a Preference), Plagued By Uncertainty in Your Career? I like things to be organized and moderately structured. Its real achievement is making workers believe their labor serves the self and not the marketplace.". One reason for this increase in flexibility is the rise in working parents. 7 to 6 was more like it - but that was my choice as I was driven to climb a corporate ladder and knew the only way to do it was by putting in the extra effort. Why wasn't it 7 to 3, or 10 to 6?

One thing that hasn't kept up is the way we work. Law firms quickly began to realize that they could make a lot more money by making their employees work longer hours. Once upon a time, many a worker - white-collar, blue-collar or pink-collar - could depend on a company-funded pension plan, double-digit (percentage) salary increases, paid-for health care for the worker and the worker's family, and enough employer loyalty that the worker didn't have to worry about "downsizing," layoffs, becoming "redundant" or the victim of consolidation or takeover, and - most ridiculous of all - "rightsizing." Why does no one commend people for dealing with health issues and getting through life, or having family members with permanent health issues that take up a lot of their time and energy while they go to work, or people who have lost loved ones, or are dealt great tragedies in some form, or hard family issues that they are trying to handle everyday, and various other things that no doubt many, many people are dealing with. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. The 9-to-5 is worth reclaiming as an emblem of empowerment-one that can stop work bleeding into leisure time and actually protect your identity as a worker, a partner, a parent, a life-liver.

You're the first person I've seen describe the good side of a 9-5 job. Is there not enormous strength and respect in handling life while trying to make a living and put a smile on your face everyday? Bestlifeonline.com is part of the Meredith Health Group.

Many people know that the 9 to 5 workday was actually introduced by the Ford Motor Company back in the 1920s, and became standardized by the Fair Labor Standards Act in 1938 as a way of trying to curb the exploitation of factory workers. After workers in such jobs get home, they might spend a couple of hours with the family before calling it a day, and getting ready to do it all over again the next morning. You get to be one person at work, and another person after work. 12 Ways to Hack Your 9-to-5 Job and Live Worry Free Next Article --shares; ... Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. No one benefits from being tied to a working construct that constrains their other pursuits and desires. But not many people know the history behind why we act like it's logical to pay people based on the amount of time they spend in the office as opposed the actual amount of work they produce. Working From Home Adds New Distractions and Demands. Athlete, nerd, hopeless romantic, thespian. Thanks to the Covid-19 pandemic, many employees are working from their homes instead of at the office—and forcing remote workers to adhere to the same 9-5 work hours they held in the office may not make sense. This article truly gives me hope and relief, thanks a lot !

Someone dares to speak the down to earth reality of the "working world". I would be great at either one. And a recent study found that while 40 percent of American adults work 50 hours or more a week, they generally only spend about 3 hours a day doing actual work, leading researchers to conclude that "cutting hours could improve productivity in the US as long as companies can give up the 8-hour mentality.". I am an INTJ too. What I found was they wanted robotic clones of themselves.

In 1958, an ABA article argued that, because attorneys were paid a fixed fee for their services, they weren't getting enough money in exchange for all the time they spent working with clients. But I don't think in terms of actual energy output it diminishes those that are handling various difficult life situations AND holding down a job, whether it's 9 -5 or freelance. (what a mouthful of words huh) I was hired with the ambition to start a career in insurance helping people protect what matters most in their lives. I could be the boss and the driver of my own destiny...right? Greater efficiency. How Does Your Personality Type Impact Your Income?