Finding Plumbing Repair Assistance for... Finding Home Repair Help for Low Income Families. The gum is said to taste slightly bitter. Fall colors are most brilliant where autumn nights are chilly, but some cultivars color well in warm climates. Gum.

Ours was planted right by a sidewalk. Perhaps one day they will be, but additional investigations and discoveries are needed in order to prove that the claimed health benefits of the plant are real. If you’d like to grow your own sweet gum, first understand that it’s a commitment to a tree that many describe as a nuisance. The felled tree appeared healthy to me. All Rights Reserved. Hi, Liz. The tree has been busy growing for so many years that it hasn’t really shown us much in the fall. The scientific name of the American sweet gum (or sweetgum) tree is Liquidambar styraciflua. Seeing the trees beside a managed trail in my neighbourhood and in nearby gardens is always interesting, however. The leaves are star shaped. The name refers to the scented sap released when the trunk is damaged. Sue. Great article! I've not seen them in the United States. Leaves commonly measure 7 inches across. Thank you. Nature can certainly be surprising! Living in our beautiful forest brings me opportunities galore to wrap my arms as far as I can around the tree's trunk. I'm one of those weird people who hugs trees just about every day. The presence of shikimic acid in sweet gum is interesting, but more research is needed in order to find out whether it's important. The gum was used as a traditional medicine by the native people of the United States and by European settlers. I love the colours of the leaves. The local garden centre that I visit says that American sweet gum should be grown in full sunlight and in average to moist conditions. Most of the small, black seeds contained within the gumballs do not germinate, but are eaten by squirrels and birds. Hi, Flourish. I have a few sweet gum trees nearby. The concentration of the chemical in sweet gum is lower than that found in some other plants. Highlights of American Chemical Society meeting in Atlanta, American Chemical Society, University of Florida IFAS Extension – Liquidambar styraciflua: Sweetgum, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Liquidambar&oldid=984057685, Articles with unsourced statements from October 2019, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Ind. The tree can cause problems, but it's beautiful as well. The fine hardwood is used to make flooring, furniture and veneers, cabinetry and paneling.

Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on October 19, 2019: There's a gum tree in the Caribbean.