: I started working in video with Google’s product called Google Video. HOFFMAN: It is a nice analogy.

Everybody in college at the time had internet and they had lots of searching requirements. In business school, you learn who’s your target audience and you build a targeted campaign and so I would say, “Who do you want me to market to?” And they said, “Everybody. But Google wasn’t the only entrant into the race toward a video platform to democratize broadcasting. Susan Diane Wojcicki is an American technology executive. ANTOINE DODSON: Hide ya kids, hide ya wife.

As Susan just mentioned, this move happened fast. You’re sort of stuck with this traditional definition, that if we change now, we’ll make communication very difficult. So its north is flipped compared to ours. They kept the old, incorrect definition. In fact, I was a little scared because I thought I knew about marketing, but I’d never really been a marketer. And as Google grew, its true north evolved – to democratizing the Internet. We’re going to start today’s episode with a visualization exercise. We got together and we had a good conversation with Sergey and Larry. There was this appeal of the democratization of broadcasting what you had to say. : We’d always use the example of how to tie a tie. Thank you, Becky, for extending our metaphor. Susan Wojcicki is the CEO of YouTube. But that startling accuracy is by design. Susan Wojcicki is a 52-year-oldAmerican Entrepreneur from Santa Clara, California, USA. With no clear directions to guide her, and no map to follow, Susan used Google’s core product – its excellence in search – as her North Star.

We wanted to have video ads and have the video ads be relevant. Generation X, known as the "sandwich" generation, was born between 1965 and 1980. If you and your team haven’t established founding principles as clear and bright as the North Star, it’s all too easy to become hopelessly lost. And it may actually get more complex as time goes on. It’s a human definition. Was there a PR strategy? And that’s pretty much all there is to say. Brands said, “We don’t want to be on content that has profanity or violence or certain types of topics,” right? They’ll guide you when you’re at risk of losing your way. Nobody has that issue.”. California-born entrepreneur who served as Google’s Senior VP of Product Management and Engineering. I’ll say when I accepted the job, I didn’t even think about that at all, because YouTube was really much more of an entertainment platform. She graduated from Harvard University in 1990 and went on to receive her MBA from the University of California-Los Angeles. Not their famous slogan “Don’t be evil.” But their internal mantra: “Make search better.” This would be the key to their scale. Gaming is a huge area for us on YouTube…. We didn’t have a lot of time. : How did you make the universities aware? But also the fact that there’s a lot of genres that we didn’t think would happen. In September 1998, the founder of Google, Larry Page and rented Susan's garage of her Californian small house to build up their first Google office. Bookmark this page and come back for updates. And they had just reported a 700 percent increase in third-quarter profit, largely thanks to the success of AdWords. What can you do in 6 seconds? Was it just simply a “make a search bar inclusible and sent out an email”? If I say that a star is located in the galaxy’s northern hemisphere, astronomers and astrophysicists all agree on where that is. Susan Wojcicki is CEO of Alphabet subsidiary YouTube, which has 2 billion monthly users. But as Susan said, no one at the time could see how there’d be much money in search – they didn’t have a. map. WOJCICKI: We’ve had to make a number of changes in terms of how we handle monetization because brands required it. Discover: Dan Rather: Interview On Trump, Controversy, Getting Fired, Net Worth And More. Focusing on hours watched instead of videos clicked meant devaluing clickbait, in favor of videos that match the viewer’s interests. Growing up in Silicon Valley would give Susan a unique vantage point, from which she could actually watch the landscape change. Gotta get down on Friday. Susan and her husband have just bought a house in Menlo Park – a Menlo Park now at the epicenter of the tech boom. There’s maybe no one in Silicon Valley better qualified to speak on the experience of navigating a business through rapid growth – at Google and at YouTube – all the while trying to keep one eye on the horizon.

He’s wearing a casual windbreaker; his head is actually obscuring part of the elephants he’s describing. WOJCICKI: Google early on had a lot of philosophy about democratizing, like: how do you make advertising accessible to everyone? But then I was sent to a startup. Susan Wojcicki's Philanthropy & Advocacy. Let’s find out! In fact, I always used to have to say “outside of San Francisco.” People knew either Stanford or the bike shop. What can you do in 6 seconds? Under her supervision, Google purchased YouTube for $1.65 billion in 2006. HOFFMAN: How did you make the universities aware? But navigating through this process has allowed Susan to reckon with the tradeoffs and challenges in navigating YouTube’s true north. And when they clicked, did the ad take them somewhere they wanted to go?

But you do your best to do what you think is the right long-term benefit for your community.

Hey what’s going on everybody? And welcome back to my YouTube channel. Susan Wojcicki and Dennis Troper. That’s Dr. Becky Smethurst, astrophysicist at the University of Oxford. So every single object in the solar system has its own individual unique north.

But refrigerator mishaps aside, Susan’s early arrangement with Google would end up pointing her toward her own true north. HOFFMAN: But Google wasn’t the only entrant into the race toward a video platform to democratize broadcasting. According to our records, she has no children. Anne was married to Google founder Sergey Brin before the two divorced and she moved on with Alex Rodriguez. The more hours a viewer watches, the better YouTube is at it’s #1 job: Make Video Search Better.