I will try the Suman Bulagta and wish me luck! Na try ko na sya at Super SARAP talaga! Add lye solution and salt and mix it thoroughly. :)), Wow…suman sa lihiya. This Suman sa Lihiya is usually serve with a latik sauce on top or grated coconut meat and best paired with hot chocolate or coffee.

Suman sa Lihiya is really delectable in every bite, this Filipino delicacy is great for an afternoon snack. Place a desired portion of sticky rice onto the banana on a greased side, cover, roll and fold both ends towards the center and tightly secure it with a string if using one. Read and learn more about it from my Pichi Pichi Recipe. I tried your recipe last 4th of July using the caramel sauce, it came out pefect! Get the recipe here now! it reminds me so much of my childhood days coz my aunt in the province used to cook this when we were younger especially during our summer vacation there.

I really miss Pampanga and it’s cuisine. Hi, That is great, Anne! Your email address will not be published. Hi! Happy you all liked it. Suman sa Lihiya is wrap tightly in banana leaf, then steamed to cook. Your email address will not be published.

Your email address will not be published. Suman. Wash the glutinous rice and drain the water. Suman sa Lihiya … I bet this is also delicious…. yummy! Paboritong lutuin ni Nanay noong nabubuhay pa siya. If you are looking for a recipe and it ain't here, make a request and I will try my best to make it for you! And although I think of myself as a homebody, I like seeing other places from time to time. Cooking this Kakanin dish is a little time consuming but it’s worth it. Latik is actually the byproduct of making coconut oil. Lower heat to low and continue cooking while constantly stirring until the cream separates into coconut oil and latik. Place the rice in a strainer to remove excess water. It has wonderful chewy, gooey, sticky texture which comes from treating the rice in lihiya, or lye water.

Wash them with water and pat dry. Tipid Sarap Monggo na may Kangkong at Hibi, Crispy Air Fried Liempo Pinakbet with Ube. Suman sa Lihiya Recipe is a famous Filipino dessert and believed to be from south Luzon, Philippines. Remove from heat as soon as the crumbs turn a deep caramel brown color. Filed Under: Cakes and Desserts, Filipino Recipes, Pinoy Desserts, Rice Recipes Tagged With: kakanin recipe, pinoy desserts, rice, suman, This reminds me a lot of puertorrican Pasteles, Kuya ok lang ba walang niyog na luto? In Pampanga, and mostly the northern part of the Philippines, we usually top it with a mix of ‘Latik’, freshly grated coconut and sugar. Serve warm or cold with latik sauce or a combination of latik and white sugar. There are many variations of suman and one of them is called Suman sa Lihiya. Repeat several times until water turns almost clear. Suman sa Lihiya or Suman Bulagta is a Filipino delicacy of glutinous rice mixed with a bit of lye water, wrap in banana leaves and then boiled in water. This recipe can yield a dozen of suman. OMG!

Suman needs to be wrapped tightly to avoid leakage when steaming. Add more rice thru the top opening if needed but remember to leave some space as the rice will still expand while cooking. yung sauce lang? Well, to each their own, I would say! Gumawa po kc ako pero hindi xa green.sa dahon po ba yun? Let it cook, stirring from time to time, until it is reduced to a thick cream. TO MAKE LATIK: In a saucepan, add the coconut milk/cream and bring to a simmer uncovered over medium heat. Filipino Tamales (Bobotu) Easy Recipe | Foxy Folksy, Receive new posts directly delivered to your inbox, As a bonus, a FREE eCookbook and printable Recipe Cards upon subscription. Your email address will not be published. Suman Sa Lihiya is a Filipino sweet sticky rice cake steamed in a banana leaf. Pinoyrecipe is very helpful giving tips of the ingredients to cook a food. Brush wilted banana leaf with oil lightly to avoid suman mixture from sticking. Unfortunately, lye water is not easy to find in the U.S. I remembered looking forward to weekends when my parents will go to the local market early in the morning and come home bringing some hot Tamales for breakfast along with other rice delicacies like ‘Sumang bulagta‘. Or you can wrap the way you want either rectangular, triangle or square, using your signature wrapping skills. Get updates directly to your inbox, By the way, for those who cannot get hold of freshly grated coconut, you can easily use desiccated coconut as an alternative. […] Tamales is one of my favorite Kapampangan delicacies. I love suman lihiya, i have missed the day when Grand ma cook this for us…. Transfer the washed rice into a bowl and add 2 cups of water. Making Suman sa Lihiya is actually easier than you think. Cover the pot and bring to boil at high heat. It is the solids that form when coconut milk is cooked on low heat for some time.

Hi po..ask ko lng po paano ma achieve yung kulay nya na green po? Required fields are marked *, Copyright © 2020 Pinoy Recipe at iba pa on the PinoyRecipe.Net. Because I tried it in the chiller and after a day there was water on top of sauce even though I cooled it down before placing in the chiller. medyo makati kasipag may niyog na luto. sa picture pa lang katakaw na gagawin ko toh, Looks so yummy! Keep up the good work. This Suman sa Lihiya is usually serve with a latik sauce on top or grated coconut meat and best paired with hot chocolate or coffee.

i so love suman. Panlasang Pinoy. Highly recommended guys! Lower heat and continue cooking while stirring frequently until a thick caramel is formed.

YUp, it is from the banana leaves (and the lye water, I think). You can use the coconut oil for other purposes. Hi Bebs, I am so glad I found your website. Place the assembled pairs in a big pot and add enough water to cover them. Like any other suman, this is made of glutinous rice, brown sugar and coconut milk, then it is flavored with lye solution or lihiya in Tagalog, which gives a distinction of this tasty dessert. Make another of the same size. Read and learn more about it from my, Pan-seared Salmon with Tomato-Basil Sauce. Please check your email for a confirmation of your subscription. Is it okay to store at room temp?

This will make the banana leaves more pliable. Cut off the central ribs of the leaves. Transfer rice in a glass or plastic bowl. Thanks! Then boiled until the rice is done. This kind of suman is yellowish in color and that is because of the lihiya (lye) which is added to the rice before it is wrapped in banana leaves. Required fields are marked *. Soaked Glutinous Rice for an hour or you can just wash and rinse the glutinous rice 4 times using a strainer and place in a bowl. Heat each leaf by running it real quick on top of your stove with the heat/fire on. pero salamat sa recipe mukang masarap talaga sya , Jeff, hindi naman sya makati… make sure lang na fresh yung coconut na bibilhin mo…. TO MAKE LATIK SAUCE: Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. By the way, for those who cannot get hold of freshly grated coconut, you can easily use desiccated coconut as an alternative. Nalala ko tuloy si Inay lalo na ngaung mag-u-undas . I grew up eating it either for breakfast or … Another question,what does lye water do in the kakanin that calls for it in the ingredients? Since I cannot make up my mind which topping to present my Suman sa Lihiya with, I thought I will just make both. Cover the bowl and let it sit overnight. Thanks Mary and we are glad you like the recipes. The hardest part is perhaps deciding which topping to enjoy it with. Add the lye water and mix thoroughly. Latik is very easy to make, it is made from the coconut milk’s first extract. Latik is very easy to make, it is made from the coconut milk’s first extract. With the closed end facing down, tap it a few times to pack in the rice.

Bind them together at both ends with a cotton string. Once it starts to boil, lower heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 45 minutes. From the end where the rice is, fold it again this time only about 2 inches thick towards the center and then one more to close.