If you follow one of these links to a partner website and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission for the referral.

At the 2019 National Championship Air Races and Air Show, spectators will find STOL Drag Races, a new kind of air competition. “Landing on runways isn’t that exciting,” said Steve Henry.

The event runs March 12 to 15 and will feature competitors in five classes: heavy touring, light touring, bushplane, experimental, and light experimental.

As Mr. Patey attempted to takeoff from Reno-Stead Airport, a severe crosswind picked up the left wing of Draco. “NOT ENOUGH GO AROUNDS! As a lifelong lover of anything with wings, I decided to share my journey in educating myself about aviation.

The event will be streamed live online by Live Airshow TV.

So this cowboy’s decision to make up his own checklist made a go-around impossible, I think. He and Wild, who had made the same trip the year before, wanted to swing by Kayak Island on the way south to snap some photos of the lighthouse that sits on the island and maybe see some of the brown bears that populate the uninhabited piece of land. The stunning super STOL favorite, Draco, was totaled in a takeoff accident this week as owner Mike Patey attempted to leave Reno-Stead after the National Championship Air Races.

For takeoffs, pilots start on the line and take off in the shortest distance. Winners will walk away with a cash purse of $12,500 and other prizes. Others come from a background of racing cars and motorcycles, and wanted something that would cause an adrenaline rush.

Minor injuries were sustained by the three passengers onboard.

After the competition on Saturday, the event will feature a short awards ceremony and then a crawfish boil with live music.

The NTSB found that aircraft initially touched down at around 18 knots above Vref. Understanding V Speeds: Aviation Speeds Explained. Despite the scares and setbacks, Doyle sounded optimistic about the plane and fond of the weekend's memories. I believe you are hearing the pops is because something has a crack in it. Over the past few months, viewership has past one million viewers on all viewing platforms, according to officials. The new assembly operations are at Daytona Beach International Airport in Florida.

Bush Pilot contributor Rob Stapleton, who attended the weekend Fly-In, reported that Valdez had run out of aviation gas on Sunday, potentially due to mechanical problems with a truck bringing more fuel that Stapleton encountered while leaving Valdez on the Richardson Highway. Or, turn around and postpone the flight if the takeoff can’t be made safely.

Patey, the man behind the incredible turbine powered Wilga, didn't mince words when he described the accident that destroyed his beloved airplane. Jackson said he hopes to create a series and host several STOL competitions around the country with a championship in Texas. Thank you for visiting my website and joining me in my quest for knowledge. The biggest safety item at my airline year after year is unstabilized approaches continued to a landing. The downed plane, known to many as "Cuzoom," had a weekend filled with ups and downs. “National STOL is very proud and humbled to be featured in the inaugural Holiday Flying Festival and Car Show at the SUN ‘n FUN Expo Campus,” he said. Apparently, it’s so well loved it’s even found its way into reports to NASA's Aviation Safety Reporting System.

Patey noted that there were multiple warning signs prior to takeoff that should have made him rethink the decision to continue.

Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association Find it free on the store.

We can turn each flight review into an adventure, a learning experience that we will remember fondly for a long time. link to Why Is Weight And Balance Important In Aviation?

Doug Jackson, founder of the National STOL, said he is looking forward to bringing the competition to Central Florida. Had to chuckle when reading : NTSB says “Pilot Error” well DUHHHH. Do we need another aviation organization? Bush Pilot previously reported that a plane crashed Sunday on Alaska's Kayak Island -- 49 miles southeast of the community of Cordova -- and the two occupants had to be rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard. New Texas STOL competition launches in March New Texas STOL competition launches in March January 23, 2020 By Alyssa J. Cobb Short takeoff and landing (STOL) pilots will be laying it all on the line in Gainesville, Texas , in March, during the inaugural Lonestar STOL Competition and Fly-In —not just for bragging rights, but for cash prizes too. See more ideas about Stol aircraft, Aircraft, Bush plane. The worst thing you can do is to baby the engine.

Again, Draco was lost but nobody was hurt, so we can all be thankful for that.

Extreme STOL aircraft: * The Piper PA-18 Super Cub, particularly the Mackey SQ2 variant. My name is Kevin. No go around after TR deployment is actually a limitation in some jets.

There was no structural damage to the aircraft, and Doyle hit the "911" selection on his SPOT transmitter, which allows others to track a flight in the air online. Mr. Patey specifically discussed this throughout the video taken right after the accident.

They'd arrived in the city without further incident.

I’m not rated in this aircraft, but I think you’re supposed to deploy the speed brakes to slow down (in the flare?) The stunning super STOL favorite, Draco, was totaled in a takeoff accident this week as owner Mike Patey attempted to leave Reno-Stead after the National Championship Air Races.

All rights reserved. "It's hard to tell just how much fuel we're gonna need," Gundersen said.

So you don’t use reverse thrust until you are certain that you won’t need to go around, because a go-around becomes unavailable once they are deployed. Changing the oil at least three times a year or every 50 hours (if you have an oil filter) is one of the two most important things you can do to protect your engine.

This round will be open to all competitors, with up to 125 competing for the top six spots in their class.

Following the crash, the Coast Guard said the plane had suffered a hard landing after running out of gas, although that initial report may not have been accurate. During World War II, General Motors shifted gears from making cars to building warbirds. He said that there were several gallons of fuel left in the tank that he'd been using, but added that "I'm sure we'll never be able to say, 100 percent positive, that it was fuel starvation or that it was carb icing.". Through an exclusive broadcast with Live Airshow TV, the event was streamed live across the world, with more than 275,000 domestic and international viewers. Going around is an arrow you always want to have in your quiver.

I’ve never been objective when it comes to aviation. The video above shows Patey’s discussion about what happened and a clip from the takeoff that shows the left wing lift up enough to scrape the right wing. In a final accident report published on Wednesday, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) found decisions made by the pilot and copilot to be the probable cause of the 2019 crash of a Cessna Citation 680 business jet carrying former NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr., his wife, Amy, and their 1-year-old daughter, Isla. The National STOL Series has competitions planned in Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Minnesota, and the Carolinas. Welcome To AviatorTips.com. Most of the problems stem from a belief that all grease is created equal and as long as a bearing has some sort of grease in it, it will be fine. This year, as was the case in 2017 and 2018, there were two aerobatic performers, Scott Sexton and Gary Ward. The Leatherman multi-tool is one I’ve seen many a pilot sport. "I was about two-thirds of the way through my turn," Doyle said, "when you could just hear a little 'miff' and it totally died." It's priced at $499 and has... © 2020 Aviation Publishing Group. Ask Paul: Can I permanently remove the vacuum pump?

This resulted in the right wing catching the ground and the STOL competition-winning airplane cartwheeling off the runway.

In real life I’ve only ever known two people who made it a habit of wearing cowboy boots in the cockpit. Ultimately, Mr. Patey took full responsibility for the decision to continue the takeoff after multiple warning signs. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. I. Just when you need a jet to respond to your actions, it automatically deprives the pilot of that ability. He said that there was a line of planes at the pump when the fuel arrived, and they had to push some of the planes out of the way in order to allow the truck through. I am studying the effects of automation on pilots.

The mangled remains of the stunning airplane can be seen in the dirt along the runway as first responders secure the area. This does NOT cost you anything but helps to offset the cost of operating AviatorTips.com.

Like the STOL competition, the airshow portion of the Fly-In has a local flavor but performance quality on a par with much larger events. You can see the results and get the the whole STOL Raw DVD @ www.maydayflyin.com. The latest on the FAA’s proposed changes to LSA, Give him 56 days and he’ll become a private pilot.

The most important lesson from the Draco crash is don’t fly beyond the limits of the airplane or yourself. All rights reserved.

So does every pilot.

I’m not cynical by nature so I feel a bit out of sorts with this column. 14.

The left landing gear, much like in Friday's incident, was sheared off. won the prestigious Short Take Off and Landing, thread on the popular aviation forum Supercub.org discusses the merits. That ain’t no Cessna 172…Yikes! Weight and balance in an aircraft have a significant impact on flight operations and are critical to operating safely. Doyle's first instinct was to reach for the fuel-tank selector, which allows the Cub to switch to the other of its two fuel tanks. This was the first warning sign. Why any pilot would unnecessarily remove their option to go around is a mystery to me. In some ways, it's the wrong question to ask. Gundersen also said that it's always difficult to predict the amount of fuel needed to accommodate the many planes flying into Valdez on the weekend of the event, and that there are more every year. AOPA Director of eMedia and Online Managing Editor.

Alaska campaigns expect some election results to shift as remaining ballots are counted.

Garmin has a new watch for aviators and it trickles down from the Garmin Venu smart/sportswatch. Though some pilots have told me this is flogging a dead horse, a few recent fatal events have revived that horse, and it’s important that pilots and aircraft designers should revisit the corral. NTSB Cites Pilot Error In Earnhardt Crash, NASA Begins Wind Tunnel Testing For Electric X-Plane Props, FAA Wraps Up UAS Integration Pilot Program, Canada Launches Advanced Air Mobility Consortium, Can A Computer Think Like A Pilot? October 5, 2020 by General Aviation News Staff Leave a Comment. Follow these tips to break-in your engine the right way. That means better health for the industry and more smiles for pilots.