I feel that since the county has the jurisdiction and responsibility for each one of those young lives, and some of them are very young, that we really need to do everything we can. Take the next step to parenthood at www.RaiseAChild.US. One day a guy came around trying to sign up neighborhood kids for tap dancing and singing lessons at the Meglin Studios. I want that team to think about every aspect.

So you have to figure out where is the bridge between what you want them to do and what they care about. Bryant died in a California helicopter crash Sunday. This is my pipe dream, and I don’t know if it’s really ever going to be possible. People started to laugh. Suddenly, there were people in everybody’s lives that they didn’t know were gay and then suddenly they did. But it did teach me about responsibility to other people. The more they laughed, the more faces I made. “It’s a terrible tragedy,” Kuehl said.

And I liked it because kids are often infantilized and treated as though they’re not worth anything.

Research from the Williams Institute at UCLA shows it is possible, as more than two million LGBT people in the country have considered the possibility of building a family through fostering and adopting. Rich: So when you did turn to politics, did you head in with a vision of what you wanted to do? We were treated very well. I think of the more than 30,000 kids in the Los Angeles County foster care system who are not confident and secure because of their parents.

It’s really difficult to measure. It wasn’t that I could get away with anything that I want. The thing that actually made it easy was ‘Zelda Gilroy.’ Everybody already liked ‘Zelda.’ They liked her a lot.

So while Los Angeles County has more children in foster care than any other county in the nation, it is good to know that you are at part of the helm here in county government with your priority for foster kids. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill), Latest Election Results as the votes are counted in key states, 'Count every vote’ NYC peaceful protest ends quietly while other demonstrators clash with cops; several arrested, ‘Seemed like a sociopath’: Friends were leery of bodybuilder accused of fatally beating Queens girlfriend before throwing her out 6th-floor window, Killer of pregnant woman who delivered baby before dying waited in car for 90 minutes before shooting: prosecutors, Teen arrested after teacher sees him having oral sex with 7-year-old girl during break in online class, Federal judge furious at Postmaster Louis DeJoy after USPS defies order to search for missing ballots, Tunnel dwellers flock to NYC subway as temperatures drop, Doctor blasts Kourtney Kardashian for sharing a conspiracy theory about surgical masks causing cancer, Biden on the brink of victory after battleground triumph, as Trump lashes out with lawsuits, Deep breaths, fellow Americans: Don’t be distracted by Trump’s fog machine, Brooklyn gangster who kidnapped rapper Tekashi69, gets 24 years in prison, Nevada Election Results: What happens next, Two stabbed, one fatally, on Queens street; teenager in custody, Biden wins Michigan in major blow to Trump as victory appears near for the Democrat, Democrats keep control of House, but lose seats despite expectations of growing majority, Australian couple dies in car crash after celebrating wedding anniversary, Convicted felon Lori Loughlin is already a ‘wreck’ just days after reporting to prison: report, Queens woman thought to have jumped to her death was killed by boyfriend: NYPD, Trump struggles to lift glass of water during ‘60 Minutes’ interview, Feds charge pimp and madame in relation to gruesome 2018 killing of woman found dismembered in Brooklyn park, Race against time to reach 5-year-old boy trapped in 200-foot-deep well. So it took us five years to get through the first bill, which was to protect students against discrimination and harassment in schools. When National Coming Out Day was established, it really helped. In 1994, you were the first openly gay person elected to California legislature. There were other kids occasionally on the show, and there was sort of a group of us who were kid actors on series that would see each other at interviews and things.

Rich: I have my own dream that I would like to share with you. Even when they’re treated well it’s like trivializing their world.

They had two daughters, Emma and Lilia. Officials said the downed chopper was a Sikorsky S-76, a model Bryant favored for years. Aspaturian met her wife, Laurie Aronoff, while at UCLA. Only one openly gay individual has moved on from the set of “The Beverly Hillbillies” to build an outstanding political career in Sacramento, establishing some of the first protections for California’s LGBT community. It takes real confidence, not the kind that’s just brash. I think persuasion takes three things. Supervisor Kuehl: At Harvard, it was sort of new to have women in the law school classes. There was a lot of talk about the Equal Rights Amendment during that time, so I felt it was very exciting in the late 70’s for women. In much the way we take a lot for granted in the LGBT movement, we’re taking a lot for granted now about the women’s movement. What is it inside of you that tells you that you can, rather than fearing that you can’t? You show up, you know your lines, you’re a professional, but it’s fun.

I think of the children who don’t have their parents. Rich: I am beginning to understand that the big challenge in legislature is not to come up with smart bills, but to build the support needed from other legislators to get those bills passed. I had been out for several years and there was no protection in California law related to sexual orientation. For a while, I was the first and only openly gay person elected to the legislature. I think that’s what the office of child protection is going to be about when we fill that spot in the county and hopefully fund it adequately. So, for me, it gave me a real sense of confidence and self-worth early on. Col. Dick Littlestone honored for service to the country by LA City Council . I have always been encouraged to ask “is there any reason why we can’t do this” rather than “is there any reason why we should do this?” so that’s kind of like what Bobby Kennedy said -- it opens a lot more possibilities. “There’s no words to express the pain I’m going through with this tragedy of losing my niece Gigi & my brother @kobebryant,” former Lakers teammate Shaquille O’Neal said in a Twitter post. “Trouble with Father” was the first filmed television series and I was still in elementary school in the Los Angeles Unified School District. The ability to see where someone is on an issue and understand what they are afraid of, and then discuss it.

He was not the pilot of the doomed flight, Los Angeles County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl told the Daily News, confirming the shooting guard and his 13-year-old daughter nicknamed Gigi were among the dead.

Supervisor Kuehl: I think it’s connected to what I said about feeling confident and secure because of my parents. Most of the time when I was doing the series from 1950 to ‘56, I had a teacher on the set. He treated them all like family and his impact will live on forever," OCC Athletics Director Jason Kehler said. In 1996, I was appointed speaker pro tem, which is the number two position in the state assembly. RaiseAChild.US Founder and CEO, Rich Valenza, is honored to share this insightful interview in this special Huffington Post Gay Voices / RaiseAChild.US “Let Love Define Family®” series for National Adoption Month, with the iconic activist and accomplished politician, Los Angeles County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl.

Hardcore Republicans Scold Trump For Fraud Claim, Declaring Victory, US Election: Trump's Premature Victory Claims Remind People Of This Bernie Interview, Bihar Election: Nitish In A Tight Spot As Discontent Rises In BJP Ranks, LJP Plays Spoiler, Abetment To Suicide Case: Arnab Goswami In Judicial Custody, NCP Says 'Make Fadnavis Co-Accused', Joe Biden Has Won The Most Votes Of Any Candidate In US History, Arnab Goswami Arrest: 2018 Suicide Case Reopened Due To Court Order, Not Vendetta, Maharashtra Minister Claims, 'This Is A Threat': Critics Slams Smriti Irani's Reply To A Journalist's Tweet, Kanye West Concedes US Election Defeat As He Hints At 2024 Presidential Campaign, Muslim American Lawmakers Mark Historic Firsts Across Several States, Trump Launches Furious, Baseless Legal Assault As His Chances Of Victory Diminish. She died in … It seems to me that you have a great talent for that. Houston Rockets center Tyson Chandler cries during a tribute to Kobe Bryant before an NBA basketball game against the Denver Nuggets, Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020, in Denver. And I’m a big sister so I already felt responsible for other kids from the age of 4 when my little sister was born.

I actually got sent home once from court for wearing a pantsuit instead of a skirt as an attorney. ... Husband-and-wife nurses contract COVID-19. To lose her and one or more of her teammates, it’s just unfathomable.”. Rich: I understood that you had a big career as a child actor playing Zelda on the television series “The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.” But until I looked at your IMDb.com page, I had no idea the success of your acting career. The very first class that even admitted women was actually 25 years before I went there, which was interesting because it was later than almost any other law school in admitting women. It was simply unfamiliar to them. There were only 12 women in that first class and then it got smaller and smaller. Get our top news delivered to your inbox every morning, Monday to Friday.

Rich: Soon after you were sworn into your latest elected position, I heard you on a radio interview saying that children in the Los Angeles County foster care system were one of your top priorities.

On Sunday, residents in the gated Steeplechase community at the foot of the crash site described hearing a loud boom, seeing the smoke amid dense fog and thinking it was a sheriff’s helicopter that went down around 9:45 a.m. California time. You had to go through the tunnels to the science building until we got them to open one. When I started in ‘75, about a quarter of my class were women.

So that’s the third part of persuasion -- mutual respect. You could just see a swath of the mountain that was just black from the impact and the smoke,” Rob Hobbs, 39, told The News as hundreds of fans, some wearing Lakers jerseys, flocked to a nearby creek bed to view the scene. It was on its way to Newbury Park, near Bryant’s Mamba Sports Academy, where Bryant was due to coach his daughter in a game.

Straight couples and single parents do the same thing. We were treated like professionals. I don’t think that there’s anything that can take the place of that family.

Have you considered building a family through fostering, adopting or weekend hosting? What was your life like at that time? Investigators charged with determining the cause of the crash will review maintenance records and the pilot’s history, NTSB board member Jennifer Homendy said at a news conference. Log in. RaiseAChild.US would like to help you.