[48], On February 6, 2017, Graham announced his retirement from the NFL at the age of 39 to pursue jobs as a special teams coach. He made 11 field goals in the team’s final six games, including two in a win over eventual Super Bowl participant Carolina. A week or two before their father died, as Shayne and Michelle drove back from visiting him at the Salem Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Shayne told her how down he was feeling about his lack of a job and their father’s poor health. He was not re-signed as an unrestricted free agent following the 2009 season. The children inherited their parents’ competitive spirit. “I showed the part of being a better athlete and not just being an older liability that was out of shape,” he said.

Graham played 15 seasons in the National Football League (NFL). The last time he missed a kick from less than 40 yards was back in 2009. In eight games, Graham finished the 2010 season 12-for-12 on field goals, and 35-for-37 on extra points.

In 2005, Graham made 28-of-32 field goals (87.5%), scored a franchise record 131 points, was selected to be the kicker for the AFC Pro Bowl squad, and helped the Bengals record their first winning season since 1990. The Cincinnati Bengals claimed Graham off waivers on September 1, 2003.

[36] However, the following week during the Divisional Round game he missed two field goals versus the Seattle Seahawks. [34] Graham was on the roster for one game, but was inactive due to Suisham's ability to play through his injury.

Get the latest. Shayne Graham Bio, Wife, Net worth, Salary, and Wedding .

The Baltimore Ravens signed Graham on December 21, 2011 to back up Billy Cundiff, who had a calf injury throughout most of December. Mark Berman covers Virginia Tech men’s basketball and many other teams at the university. This giant placekicker must have kicked a few hearts on his way to stardom, but Shayne Graham isn’t dating anyone for sure right now. Virginia Tech football fends off Louisville's furious comeback attempt for bounce back win, Brock Hoffman having fun as Virginia Tech’s instigator, trash talker and ACC Player of the Week, 2020 game day preview: Virginia Tech vs. Louisville, How Virginia Tech hit the reset button at halftime against Louisville after ‘gut punch’, Virginia Tech has two defensive starters out of the lineup against Louisville, Live updates: Virginia Tech defeats Louisville 42-35, Virginia Tech’s hands team handles ‘nerve-racking’ moments against Louisville with ease, Video: Virginia Tech quarterback Braxton Burmeister speaks to the media, Video: Virginia Tech wide receiver Tre Turner speaks to the media on Tuesday, Video: Virginia Tech quarterback Braxton Burmeister at practice on Sept. 9, Video: Virginia Tech quarterback Quincy Patterson at practice on Sept. 9. Michelle and Shayne lived with their mother, Jamie Graham Fortier, but remained close with their father. [30] On January 13, 2013, Graham set his career longest field goal after he made a 55-yard field goal against the New England Patriots in the divisional round of the playoffs. [6], Graham was signed by the Seattle Seahawks on April 27, 2001. In the Wild Card playoffs on January 9, 2010, Graham missed two field goals in the Bengals' 24–14 loss to the New York Jets, including a 28-yard attempt that would have cut the score to 24–17 late in the fourth quarter. Graham made all three of his attempts from at least 50 yards this season.

In 2005, Graham set the NFL record for tackles by a kicker with 11 combined (7 plus 4 assists.). [46] On August 20, 2016, Graham was re-signed by the Falcons. In 2007, Graham missed his first field goal attempt of the season (a 53-yard attempt). No credit card required. Graham did not get a contract and Lindell was retained as the Seahawks' kicker for the remainder of the 2001 season.

The Saints released him in May. He left Virginia Tech as the all-time scoring leader in school history and Big East history with 371 points. Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. “I’m sure that plays into it,” Graham said.

Quite secretive about his personal affairs, it would be interesting to know if Shayne had any girlfriends in the past or if he had affairs with anyone.

Graham devoted himself to increasing his leg strength. [38], On February 14, 2014, the Saints re-signed Graham to a new one-year contract with a base salary of $955,000.
(Arians did not handle kickoffs, which were handled by punter Brian Moorman.) Although Michelle attended Radford High, Shayne opted for the larger Pulaski County High School so he could specialize in kicking. No one brought him to training camp last year. “Shayne was so close to Dad,” Michelle said. I know Shayne feels worse about it than anyone. He made his professional debut in May 2000 with the Richmond Speed of the Arena Football League's now-defunct developmental league, AF2.[1]. Hier sollte eine Beschreibung angezeigt werden, diese Seite lässt dies jedoch nicht zu.

[14] The following week, in a game against the Green Bay Packers and after being on the team for only two days, Graham missed a 24-yard field goal inches to the right with 13 seconds remaining that would have tied the score. [24], On August 23, 2011, the Dallas Cowboys signed Graham due to a hip injury to David Buehler, but did not make the roster after being passed on the depth chart by rookie Dan Bailey. "[4] Graham left the team and was replaced by special teams coach Dave DeArmas, who unretired and played in the following week's game against the Jacksonville Tomcats. [13], Graham signed with the Carolina Panthers on September 28, 2002, after an injury to veteran John Kasay. The following day — Wednesday, Nov. 25 — the Falcons phoned him because of an injury to Atlanta placekicker Matt Bryant. BLACKSBURG — Louisville linebacker Nick Okeke had enough of Brock Hoffman. The Texans signed Graham on May 7, 2012, to battle rookie Randy Bullock for the position.

The 6-foot Graham also paid more attention to his diet.

[5] Graham was 1-for-1 on extra points and did not attempt a field goal during the preseason. [41], Graham was selected as NFC special teams player of the month for October 2014, for making all nine field goals and all nine extra points he tried during the month. He was waived on August 22, 2000. Graham played 15 seasons in the National Football League (NFL).

“Focusing on my job actually included thinking about my dad — supportive words … my dad would tell me over the years, from the first time I would ever kick to all the times that we spent together working out, kicking,” he said. Thomas would kneel down and hold the football, and Shayne would kick it over a baseball backstop 25 yards away.

On January 4, 2014 Graham went 4 for 4 including a 32-yard game winner as time expired to propel the Saints past the Philadelphia Eagles in the Wild Card round of the 2014 playoffs.

“I let those thoughts creep into my mind a couple times, but I would always try to force them out,” he said in a phone interview. “In our back yard, my dad would paint the lines … for a soccer field or a baseball field or a football field,” said Shayne, who turned 38 last month.

View Shayne Graham’s profile on LinkedIn, the world's largest professional community.

My rhythm was all messed up. “Right after the workout, when they called me out into the hallway and said, ‘Hey, we’re going to sign you,’ I remember calling my wife and it was very hard to hold back the tears, knowing how happy my dad would have been,” Graham said. On August 1, 2011, the Washington Redskins signed Graham to provide training camp competition for Graham Gano. Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items.

All Right Reserved.

Hartley had been cut from the Saints after he had struggled in the 2012 and 2013 seasons and the final straw came when he missed two close range field goals in a game against the St. Louis Rams.

Subscribe today and stay up-to-date on important election coverage! [29] In August, Graham was named the team's kicker after Bullock went on injured reserve. [38] Strong winds also contributed to his poor performance.

Graham finished the 2008 season with an 87.5 field goal percentage, going 21-of-24.

Michael Shayne Graham (born December 9, 1977) is an American football coach who is the special teams quality control coach for the University of Florida and a former placekicker.

After the game, Marvin Lewis commented on Graham's missed field goals stating "It is a shame, and it killed us. then {{format_dollars}}{{start_price}}{{format_cents}} per month. [35], Graham was re-signed by the Saints on December 17, 2013 to replace Garrett Hartley. Thomas Graham, a Dublin High School graduate who was an architect and a Vietnam veteran, would motivate his son and daughter by telling them how hard athletes such as Michael Jordan, Walter Payton and Mia Hamm worked. [8] He was waived on September 2, 2001. “I had kind of given a perception with my performance over the years that my kickoffs were average and that my long field goals were average, that maybe I was losing that [ability].”.