His work closely followed by his peers with drawings of dinosaurs, robots and spaceships morphing from simple to glimpses of the signature genius we have come to recognise in Shaun’s work today. It’s a great organisation to follow online and be a part of! What a great resource! Shaun Tan grew up in the northern suburbs of Perth, Western Australia. Works. The cut and paste collage idea in these early stages is often extend to the finished production with many of his illustrations using such materials as "glass, metal, cuttings from other books and dead insects". - annabranford.com, 'Thanks for having me on Creative Kids Tales. It is what he describes as "groundedness", and he regards it as crucial to the success of the stories. "One bookseller in Australia took the children's book award sticker off The Red Tree as he felt he could sell more that way, and sold an extra 30-40 copies a month. Thanks on behalf of all of us.' It's good that kids get them, but that can exclude adults. He wanted to become a genetic scientist but after enrolling in a special art program for talented and gifted students, he decided on pursuing a career in arts. He won an Academy Award for The Lost Thing, a 2011 animated film adaptation of a 2000 picture book he wrote and illustrated. His awards are….well there are simply too many to list here, so I’ll highlight the ones that defined his career. From creating stories- plotting, dialogue and character building- to the support writers can seek for their work, be it mentoring or seeking a publisher, it’s all there. Shaun Tan is an Australian illustrator and author of children's books and speculative fiction cover artist. When the work becomes too detached from ordinary life it starts to fall apart. Fortunately, the Australian artist's award-winning picture books are anything but short on detail.

- www.deborahabela.com, 'Creative Kids Tales is a brilliant resource – for established writers and those just starting out. - www.nick-falk.com, 'It's easy to feel alone when writing, and clueless about what happens next.

Shaun was born in Fremantle, Western Australia in the early 70’s and spent his youth in Perth’s northern suburbs. "I think stories that represent the world as hopeless or dark are valid and some of them I really enjoy but the truth is that there is hopefulness in every situation," says Tan.

Haber, K. (2001) "Shaun Tan: Out Of Context".

We all tend to work in isolation in our own little caves. ", These kinds of attempts to communicate across divides are a key theme in Tan's books. Shaun Tan’s ground breaking graphic novel The Arrival tells the story an immigrant’s experience with no words. - www.julesfaber.com, 'Creative Kids Tales is great.

Tan also uses collage work with various types of materials like metal, glass and cuttings from books. Finally after facing some rejections, Tan got lucky and his first illustration got published in 1990 in a magazine called ‘Aurealis’.

Shaun Tan is an Australian illustrator and author of children's books and speculative fiction cover artist. Although my work is not especially autobiographical and doesn’t dwell on these facts (which I grew up regarding as uninteresting) I suspect there is actually a strong indirect effect of this heritage. It's about simple things like font size – people think they can judge the age a book is for by the font size and assume that it's for little kids if it has a big font, but that's silly. Well done, Georgie!

read more. year+=1900 What a wonderful resource.Congrats to everyone involved with Creative Kids Tales. Bravo!' Thanks for providing not only an amazing site to scroll and learn through, but also providing friendship and a real sense of chasing our dreams.' I'd been doing some research about goats and how their tails were actually a fifth leg, a very long time ago. How great is that! It’s great to see all the other cave dwellers out there and realise we are not alone. Mural in the Children's Section of the Subiaco Public Library (Perth, Western Australia).

When time travelling becomes possible, I’ll steal all the info from this site and deliver it to my younger, aspiring self. [9], Initially, Tan worked in black and white because the final reproductions would be printed that way.

[7] Tan's current colour works still begin in black and white. All content on this website remains the copyrighted property of the author/illustrator or Creative Kids Tales and may not be reproduced, copied or distributed for commercial or non-commercial purposes.

- www.patsimmonswriter.com.au, 'It's about time that we had something like Creative Kids Tales. ', 'Creative Kids Tales would’ve been mighty handy to know about back when I was sitting about drawing and writing and having no idea what to do with any of it!