the body. This map shows how many Selkirk Rex Cats are posted in other states. The outside corner is set very slightly higher than the inner corner, giving a sweet open expression to the face. out from the body and should not appear flat or close-lying. Rescue Me, RescueMe.Org, and the paw logo are registered trademarks of WO. Anything Look…Weird? Tip: If you take your dog for a walk on a leash for at least 30 minutes a day, it is much less likely to have behavior problems. Rescue Me! thin. Large, rounded, set well apart.

We have been breeding Selkirk Rex since 2002. The blue-cream and white kitten with the alert green eyes and the extraordinary curly coat resembling lamb’s wool caught Newman’s immediate attention. Please consult the adoption organization for details on a specific pet. Note: While the characteristics mentioned here may frequently represent this breed, cats are individuals whose personalities and appearances will vary. Tip: Never allow a dog to jump up on you or anyone else even in play.

33 Selkirk Rex Cats adopted on Rescue Me. Click here for details, or share on your timeline by clicking the 'Share' link below. The coat may stand out from the body but may appear and The Selkirks development and promotion were due primarily to the efforts of breeder Jeri Newman of the Noface Cattery in Livington, Montana, although many other dedicated breeders lent a hand in furthering the breed.

Selkirk Rexes are mellow, affectionate cats.

For the best experience, we recommend you upgrade to … Copyright © 1999-2018 World Organization. Click here for details, or share on your timeline by clicking the 'Share' link below. Selkirk Rexes are mellow, affectionate cats. Although curl varies by Newman named the breed the Selkirk Rex after her stepfather. Selkirk Rex Kittens For Sale & Cats For Adoption The Selkirk Rex is moderately active. hair length, sex, and age in an individual, entire coat should show the They are people-oriented cats that enjoy spending time with their preferred persons.

Indeed she was. All rights reserved. ♥ RESCUE ME! The nose has a downward slant with a convex curve and is set below the eye line. Since Newman had studied genetic inheritance, she knew this meant the gene governing the curly coat was dominant—only one parent needed to possess the gene for the trait to appear in at least some of the offspring. Chin firm and well-developed, balanced in proportion to the rest of the head and should be neither receding, protruding, nor excessively massive. Medium in size, broad at the base, tapering, set well apart. Rescue Me! Tip: If you take your dog for a walk on a leash for at least 30 minutes a day, it is much less likely to have behavior problems. In 1987, the out-of-the-ordinary came to her. 33 Selkirk Rex Cats have been adopted on Rescue Me! 33 Selkirk Rex Cats have been adopted on Rescue Me! 33 Selkirk Rex Cats have been adopted on Rescue Me! Heavy at base, neither blunt nor pointed at tip. Medium length, proportionate to body. Selkirk Rexes were first bred in Montana. The Selkirk Rex is a cat with an extremely curly coat. the effect of the rex gene. To get the latest on pet adoption and pet care, sign up to hear from us. Selkirk Rex Trivia: Selkirk Rexes are born in litters with non-curly cats. They are human-oriented, enjoy sleeping with their human companions, and enjoy sitting on or by you. to be as plush as the shorthair coat, however, should not appear to be www.RescueMe.Org - FOR ADOPTION IN OHIO OHIO (ID #17-06-20-00124) Dramatails supports both TICA & CFA where Selkirks generally fit in well with other cats and dogs, and other family members. Make sure your fence is high enough. to be in clumps rather than as an all over wave. Substantial boning. Although curl varies by This can eventually cause the dog to become aggressive. Not only did Pest carry the dominant curly-coat gene, but also the recessive gene for long hair, since both parents had to possess at least one copy of the longhair gene to produce longhaired offspring. Rescue Me! The breed was presented to TICA’s board of directors in 1990 and was accepted into the New Breed and Color class. Selkirks can be mellow cats with a generous measure of love and affection for their human companions. Coat is dense and Rescue Me! Selkirk Rexes even have curly whiskers. Why buy a Selkirk Rex kitten for sale if you can adopt and save a life? They are not prone to laying around the house all day but, they are not hyperactive either. ♥ RESCUE ME!

: Iowa Selkirk Rex Rescue Groups TOP OF PAGE ADD NEW SHELTER OR RESCUE GROUP … The CFA accepted the breed for registration in the miscellaneous class in 1992. Click on a number to view those needing rescue in that state. ♥ OHIO (ID #17-06-20-00124) Selkirk Rex RESCUE ALERT The Selkirk is the newest Rex breed to be recognized by the North American cat associations and has been around a relatively short time compared with the Cornish Rex and the Devon Rex. Selkirk Rexes do not lack any part of their coat, in contrast to other Rex breeds.

Look at pictures of Selkirk Rex kittens who need a home. This breed is very tolerant and does well with children. This breed is very tolerant and does well with children. Look at pictures of Selkirk Rex kittens who need a home.

The Selkirk Rex is the result of a dominant, spontaneous mutation that causes each hair (guard, down and awn) to have a gentle curl giving the coat a soft feel. The mating produced a litter of six, three of which had the distinctive curly coat. Selkirk Rex Rescue 2009-2020: We are a small cattery located in the Northwest US. That litter also included one straight-haired kitten with long hair. Iowa View/Post Selkirk Rex Cats for Adoption in Iowa on Rescue Me! Selkirk Rex Rescue Information: The Selkirk Rex is a cat with an extremely curly coat. When “Pest” came of age, Newman bred her. It does not feel or appear Coat texture is soft, full, and obviously curly. Peggy Vorrhees of the Bozeman Humane Society of Sheridan, Montana brought the kitten to Jeri Newman because she thought Newman would be interested in the unusual-coated cat. All Selkirk Rexes are descended from a cat named Miss DePesto. 33 Selkirk Rex Cats have been adopted on Rescue Me! Muzzle is medium width. Click on a number to view those needing rescue in that state. Selkirk Rexes are mellow, affectionate cats. The underlying bone structure is rounded with well-padded whisker pads to give the impression of squareness.

Skull structure to be smooth and round to the touch from the stop to the back of the head as well as across the breadth of the forehead and between the ears. The substantial muscular torso is more rectangular than square, but not long. Random, Medium to large and well-balanced. Toes: five in front, four behind. Meow! 33 Selkirk Rex Cats have been adopted on Rescue Me! This is a group to showcase Selkirk Rex adults and occasionally other British Shorthair related breeds, who are in need of a home. Profile reveals a nose stop. Newman, a Persian b… Coat texture is soft, plushy, full, and obviously curly.

Selkirk Rex Cats can make good pets in UK if they match your IifestyIe.

Selkirk Rex Rescue Illinois Animal Rescue (Sorted by Zip Code.)

Selkirk Rex Rescue and Retired Breeders has 2,145 members.

The length is equal to ½ the width. This may be a rescue, an older cat or a retired breeder. Please let your friends know about this site. Selkirk Rex RESCUE ALERT This animal is posted for adoption on Rescue Me! Tip: Animals left in a car parked in the sun, even with windows rolled down, can be killed within a few minutes. Interesting, Newman thought. However, when pointed out to her that the Selkirk Mountains were in British Columbia, she admitted to naming the breed after her stepfather; the Selkirk Rex is the only cat breed named after an individual. The coat stands Quality is our goal here at Dramatails. All genetically possible colors and patterns. One may be at first attracted to the Selkirk’s cute and curly exterior, but these cats also make champion companions. No Selkirk Rexs for adoption in Minnesota. The Selkirk’s development and promotion were due primarily to the efforts of breeder Jeri Newman of the Noface Cattery in Livington, Montana, although many other dedicated breeders lent a hand in furthering the breed. Selkirk Rexes are playful and typically quite healthy and robust. Read on to meet the many breeds that can have black coloring.

However, for a time she said the breed was named after the Selkirk Mountains, because they were near where the kittens were born. McHenry County - McHenry, IL 60051 Animal Outreach Society 815-385-0005 Lake County - Vernon Hills 60061 Orphans of the Storm 847-634-0022 Lake County - Waukegan, Illinois 60085 Lake County Animal Protection 847-740-3977 We have been breeding Selkirk Rex since 2002. Selkirk Rex Rescue 2009-2020 We are a small cattery located in the Northwest US. The Selkirk is the newest Rex breed to be recognized by the North American cat associations and has been around a relatively short time compared with the Cornish Rex and the Devon Rex.