2nd King Edwards Own Gurkha Rifles (The Sirmoor Rifles) who died on 24/10/1920 BASRA WAR CEMETERY Iraq ' dailyinfo[18]= 'Lieutenant Thurston George CRANSWICK M C D C M who died 18/11/1920 40th Bn.

In other cases, we have two spelling versions: derby vs darby, clerk vs clarke, Hervey vs Harvey, merchant vs marchant, farmer vs fermor; etc. Why would a compass not work in my world? More senior non-commissioned ranks are often variations on sergeant, for example staff sergeant, first sergeant and sergeant major. The alternate spelling, "serjeant", is used in The Rifles and other units that draw their heritage from the British Light Infantry. dailyinfo[29]='143 Stoker BAHAUDDIN BHOLA MIYAN Royal Indian Marine who died on 29/10/1920 BOMBAY 1914-1918 MEMORIAL, MUMBAI India' 1st_east_yorks, 22 July , 2009 in Soldiers and their units. Your comment will appear after it has been approved (it takes usually up to 6 hours).If you have any questions or concerns please ask in the comment box and we will try to help! Our moderators only check the spelling and punctuation of posted comments.

var day=mydate.getDay() Copyright © WhichIsCorrect.com 2013-2020. Common searches that lead to this page: Why is the rate of return for website investments so high?

and capitalized when used as a named person's title) is a rank in many uniformed organizations, principally military and policing forces. We don't have any banner, Flash, animation, obnoxious sound, or popup ad. Sergeant definition, a noncommissioned army officer of a rank above that of corporal.

dailyinfo[23]=' 21642 Private Harry George ROGERS 4th Bn. However, to save you some time, see this thread and follow the links in post 4. dailyinfo[31]='2688559 Guardsman Frank WAKELIN 2nd Bn. Read the GWF suggestions and listen to Centurion. var fontend = '' Devonshire Regiment who died on 23/10/1920 DARTMOUTH (LONGCROSS) CEMETERY United Kingdom'

In Middle English, the word was variously sergeaunt and seriaunt. You would be more likely to get results by using 'sergeant' and 'serjeant' as the search terms. The British are known for both their intricate knowledge of other languages and the efforts they are prepared to go to in order to respect and honour their French neighbours. dailyinfo[20]='Chief Boatswain John GUY who died 20/11/1920 H.M.C.S. Is there a way to average resistors together to get a tighter overall resistance tolerance. Remembered Today: To top that off, sergeant comes from the Old French sergent, from Latin servientem meaning serving, the same root word that we get the word servant from. This page is a spellcheck for word sergeant.All Which is Correct spellings and definitions, including "Sergeant vs sargent" are based on official English dictionaries, which means you can browse our website with confidence!Common searches that lead to this page: how to spell sergeant, correct spelling of sergeant, how is sergeant spelled, spell check sergeant, how do you spell sergeant. Powered by Invision Community, He claimed that, until relatively recently, 'er'.

The SARgeant pronunciation became the most Why is the word “cello” pronounced with CH /tʃ/ and not S? This page is a spellcheck for word sargent.All Which is Correct spellings and definitions, including "Sargent or sergeant" are based on official English dictionaries, which means you can browse our website with confidence!Common searches that lead to this page: how to spell sargent, correct spelling of sargent, how is sargent spelled, spell check sargent, how do you spell sargent. The Great War Forum Limited Is a lightfoot halfling obscured for the purposes of hiding while in the space of another creature? Rugby football, golf, family research, military history, Scotch whisky, Polish vodka. not change the popular pronunciation. var dailyinfo=new Array(31) In Old French, the word was sergent (as now) or serjent, which is how the soft j came into use in the English pronunciation. dailyinfo[12]=' 8522 Serjeant John William PERRY who died 12/11/1920 "C" Coy. a police officer ranking below a lieutenant.

As the sound shifted, so the spelling shifted to in many words. dailyinfo[30]='14/1745 Private Frederick Charles FRANKLIN 14th Bn. I’d like to thank you for the time you’ve put in building that dictionary. I used to be searching for this info for my school.

Soldiers holding the rank of Sergeant serve as squad leaders, groups of eight to fourteen soldiers.

dailyinfo[7]=' Follower MEGA who died 07/11/1920 1st Bn.

I must spend some time learning much more or understanding more. how to spell sergeant, correct spelling of sergeant, how is sergeant spelled, spell check sergeant, how do you spell sergeant. if (year < 1000) year+=1900

dailyinfo[21]=' 281211 Private Albert MAIDMENT 1st/7th Bn. Very well curated, we love your spelling site, I’m very grateful. Copyright © WhichIsCorrect.com 2013-2020. Your website is useful. DISCLAIMER:WhichIsCorrect.com takes no responsibility for all the incorrect language advice posted in the comments section below. The equivalent rank in Arab armies is "raqeeb", meaning "overseer" or "watcher". I know Gen. Wormald's batman listed himself as a "Sjt". How do you make a button that performs a specific command? What is a proper way to support/suspend cat6 cable in a drop ceiling?