We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. And as such, it is highly portable. will be published daily in dedicated articles.

Fair enough, but then you end up in Richmond, Surrey, with a Twickenham postmark, and still have an 081 telephone number, that uniquely London dialling code. Brixton resident Nikki Hollis, 34, said: “When I moved here from Fleet, Hampshire, six months ago, I immediately bought a bag for life with ‘Sarf London’ stencilled across it, and changed my location on Facebook to ‘Dahn there in that Sarf London, innit’. Doesn't it ever stop? So how far are we now? All Rights Reserved. Start your Independent Premium subscription today. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. The existing Open Comments threads will continue to exist for those who do not subscribe to

Independent Premium. The question tag ‘innit’ is used instead of any other tag even if it creates a double negative: That’s great, innit?

Introducing the Soap Scoop podcast! Time altered to suit nation’s several remaining milkmen and farmers, Guardian blind date marred by working class person, Parallel parking and four other shortcuts to a full blown argument, Five batshit things to wake up in the night and worry about, Family who watched same-sex couple on Strictly now all gay, Man is tier 3 in week but tier 1 on weekends, M&S lingerie range implies M&S shoppers have sex, Whole generation missing out on chance to go on gap year and become pricks, Things Brexiters are nostalgic for that were actually bollocks, Millennials will never know the simple pleasure of a pack of ten fags, Middle class couple have terrible middle class business idea, Twats who moved out of London want a medal or something, I've met some dickheads in my time but wow, says Queen, Middle-aged man in running shorts 'asking for it' with provocative outfit, Man has white Range Rover and that is all you need to know about him, Successful career built on saying vague bullshit in a convincing way. The Cotswolds? You can find our Community Guidelines in full here. Their understanding of the local accent is based on half-remembered episodes of Only Fools and Horses.”. Most liked. As far as Rylan's accent is concerned that is a kind of …

We go every week, innit? It was the arrival of the fast electric railway, early this century, that really started this process.

The fact is that some of them went ahead and moved out, but so far from creating a cordon sanitaire between themselves and the city, only managed to spread London further and further away from Leicester Square or Marble Arch, or wherever the geographical heart of the metropolis is. This article uses English IPA symbols – learn each of them with pronunciation notes, diagrams and audio in Pronunciation Studio’s free Starter Pack. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies.

Independent Premium Comments can be posted by members of our membership scheme, Independent Premium. Kent is a semi-rural retreat for London's financial community.