She took on the role of Vishalavva, mother to Shiva Rajkumar's character in Kannada movie The Villain directed by Prem in 2018. In the beginning I accepted mother roles as I was already married. Saranya made her debut in a lead role in Mani Ratnam's Nayakan (1987) and went on to play lead roles from 1987-1996. I was not looking at the future. Conceived: April 26, 1970 (age 49 years), Alappuzha, India, Grants: National Film Award for Best Actress, MORE. [5], In 2014, she launched Design & School of Fashion Technology (DSOFT), a fashion institute at Virugamakkam, Chennai. Have you thought about acting in Hindi films? Saranya made her presentation in a lead job in Mani Ratnam’s Nayakan (1987) and proceeded to assume lead jobs from 1987-1996. It was a difficult role. Saranya made her Tamil debut in Mani Ratnam's production Nayakan, as the female lead opposite Kamal Haasan in 1987. [5] Her major breakthrough was 2005 Tamil film Thavamai Thavamirundhu after which she established herself as a prominent and leading actress in South India. I look forward only for my children. She is a hard working woman who brings up her son alone.

[2] During 2006 she appeared in family-drama serial Mugangal, which aired on Sun TV.

she made her rebound to acting in 2003 as a character artiste, assuming supporting jobs in motion pictures. I learnt dedication from him. The director used to speak to you personally, but now they talk to you on the mike. I never expected to win the National Award. Later she starred in Magalir Mattum, a women-centric film, in which she played alongside Jyothika, Oorvasi and Bhanupriya.[11]. She has prevalently acted in Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam films. After marriage in 1995, she quit from acting. [14], Nominated-SIIMA for Best Supporting Actress Tamil, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress - Telugu, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Tamil, Tamil Nadu State Film Best Supporting Actress Award, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress - Tamil, Norway Tamil Film Festival Award for Best Supporting Actress, SIIMA for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, "An actress who plays her roles with aplomb", "Best actor – female: Saranya Ponvannan takes it in her stride – The Times of India", "Saranya Ponvannan: Nobody calls me 'madam' on the sets, I'm always their 'Amma, "Ms. En Scene: In Praise Of Saranya Ponvannan, The Mother That I Never Had", "Saranya Ponvannan: From adorable mom to angry woman", "Kathanayagan review: This Vishnu Vishal film produces intermittent smiles rather than laughs", "Magalir Mattum movie review: Not without flaws but a film made with a lot of heart", "Itly movie review: Potential riotous laugh let down by weak writing", "National Film Awards: Malayalam film 'Adaminte Makan Abu' Best feature film, Salim Kumar Best actor", "VIP 2 Review: Velaiilla Pattadhari 2 Theatrical Response & Rating – QuintDaily", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Saranya_Ponvannan&oldid=987047488, Women's Christian College, Chennai alumni, Wikipedia articles with MusicBrainz identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WORLDCATID identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Ananda Vikatan Awards for Best Supporting Actres, 2006 – Winner—Best Supporting Actress for, 2011 – Winner—Best Supporting Actress for, 2012 – Winner—Best Supporting Actress for, 2019 - Winner- Best Supporting Actress for, 2005 - Nominated- Best Supporting Actress - Tamil for, 2012 - Nominated- Best Supporting Actress - Tamil for, 2014 – Nominated–Best Supporting Actress - Tamil for, 2016 – Nominated–Best Supporting Actress - Tamil for, 2013 – Winner—Best Actress in a Supporting Role for, 2014 – Nominated–Best Actress in a Supporting Role for, 2015 – Winner—Best Actress in a Supporting Role for, 2019 – Nominated–Best Actress in a Supporting Role for, 2010 – Winner–Best Supporting Actress for, 2014 – Winner–Best Supporting Actress for, 2011 - Winner-Best Supporting Actress for, 2013 - Winner-Best Supporting Actress for, 2014 - Nominated-Best Supporting Actress for, This page was last edited on 4 November 2020, at 15:42.