I’ll have to check the programs if I can find them. 1960 Maserati Tipo … II in the foreground. Daigh won and Dan Gurney was second in a Ferrari, a major step forward in his career. Those voting no included the New York City Pension Funds and CalSTRS, both of which also voted against Walton in 2012, and the State of Wisconsin Investment Board. As I recall the Scarab won. The World’s most impressive Car Collections. He has been a member of the Walmart board since 1978 and was named chairman of the Walmart board the day after his father’s death in April 1992. The number two car was sold to Jim Jeffords in 1959 and raced by the Nickey Chevrolet team. [4] “The Waltons: Inside America’s Richest Family,” Andy Serwer, Fortune Magazine, November 15, 2004.

The car was owned by Cheryl Reventlow, Lances's widow, until 1982 when it was sold to Don Orosco.

Lindy, I believe Jim Jeffords bought chassis #2 from Reventlow in 1959 and was sponsored by Nickey Chevrolet and by Leadercard before selling chassis #2 to Harry Heuer /Meister Brauser Team Captain at end of 1959. Here he is in a Scarab Grand Prix car at Monaco in 1960. So Scarab racing was confined to the U.S. using a 339-cubic-inch, Hilborn fuel-injected Chevrolet V-8 with 365 horsepower at 6,000 rpm. Chuck Daigh had much to do with building the Chevrolet V-8s in the Scarabs, but also driving the sports cars. I was the team manager for Nickey Racing from its inception. He is the chairman of Walmart industries. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Augie Pabst owns chassis 2 which is a RHD drive car. (Previously married to Patricia Rawlings Walton, divorced in late 1970s, and Carolyn Funk Walton, divorced in 2000.)

Two days after his father’s death he was made the Chairman. Reventlow was killed in a light plane crash on July 24, 1972 near Aspen. [3] “The Waltons: Inside America’s Richest Family,” Andy Serwer, Fortune Magazine, November 15, 2004. Stripped of its aluminum bodywork you can get a sense of the Scarabs created by the likes of such legends as Warren Olson, Dick Troutman, Tom Barnes and Chuck Daigh. This represented Walmart. Rob is the eldest son of Sam and Helen Walton, thus an heir to the Walmart line of retail making him the 10th richest man in the world.

Hello World, This is Abdullah. He is also the only one of his siblings to hold a senior executive role in the company. He also races vintage sports cars.

In Preston Lerner’s book about the Scarabs, Pelly recalls the design work, saying, “It didn’t take very long, maybe two and a half weeks.

June 5, 2009 by Sports Car Digest Leave a Comment. The car was owned by Cheryl Reventlow, Lances's widow, until 1982 when it was sold to Don Orosco. I vaguely remember that the cars pictured were Stanguellinis or Scarabs. He is also a member of the Environment Program Committee and co-founder of the Rob and Melani Walton Foundation. Proxy adviser ISS recommended voting against Walton’s re-election, and CalPERS, the nation’s largest pension fund, withheld its vote “due to concerns surrounding the Board’s oversight of operational and reputational risk.”.

He won the Governor’s Cup and shared the Nassau Trophy win with Chuck Daigh at the 1958 Nassau Speed Weeks. If you like a story that’s totally different and won’t know which way it’s going…where it’s going to end up and which way it’s going to take you, then I think my work fits the bill.” – Rob Walton, The violence in society, I am afraid is perpetrated by the people at the, If you’d rather go to the football game than read a comic, that’s fine. Over the years, he got rid of most of his possessions but kept this poster. Walton began working for his father’s company in 1969 and has held roles as senior vice president, secretary and general counsel, and vice chairman. For those of us living in the Midwest, the likes of Augie Pabst and Harry Heuer kept the Scarabs at the front for several seasons beyond that and, at least in my case, are a major reason I am still writing about automobiles 50 years later. Ferrari 599 GTB 1/1 “Golden Ferrari” by Pininfarina. The son of Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton and one of her seven husbands, Count Kurt von Haugwitz-Hardenberg-Reventlow, Lance was twice married to actresses: Jill St. John and ex-Mouseketeer, Cheryl Holdridge. His win in the 1958 Grand Prix for Sports Cars at Riverside with the Scarab–seen here–did much to establish the reputation of Reventlow’s sports cars. Ferrari, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Maseratis and Porsches were still the sports car norm. BS, Business Administration, University of Arkansas, 1966; JD, Columbia University School of Law, 1969. Porsche K4 “Lowenbrau” 1978 Rob Walton is an heir to the fortune of Walmart, the world’s largest retailer. Maserati T61 Birdcage Three children: Carrie Walton Penner, Ben, and Sam. Pabst did not own the Meister Brau team. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUY2PzagY7U.

(Previously married to Patricia Rawlings Walton, divorced in late 1970s, and Carolyn Funk Walton, divorced in 2000.) ©2020 Making Change at Walmart All Rights Reserved. Once I have something worthy to be shared, I grab the keyboard and let the keys beat. The Scarab Is The Most Beautiful Race Car You’ve Never Heard Of, This Is The Action-Filled Porsche 944 Racing Series You Forgot About, GALLERY: Behind The Scenes On Our Chevrolet Camaro Film Shoot, This 1972 Chevy C-10 Is America Personified, Here's How The Porsche Carrera 6 Helped Change History Forever, These 10 Period Race Shop Photos Have Just Been Unearthed, This Ford GT40 Replica Was Born To Tear It Up Tastefully, Selling the Shelby Mustangs That Ford Didn't Make. and be the first to receive all the latest updates! Reventlow had hoped to race the Scarabs in Europe, but rules changed to require 3.0-liter engines.

Rob Walton’s car Collection (USA) Ferrari 250 GTO 64, LHD,# 5575GT 1964 Ferrari 250 GTO, LHD # 3607GT 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta, LHD # 2443GT 1961 Ferrari 275 GTB, Competizione Speciale, longnose # 07185 1965 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta Zagato TdF, all alloy, LHD # 0537GT 1956 Ferrari 250 TR Spider Scaglietti, LHD # 0714TR … How quick was a Scarab? I did not know about the Scarab sports racers an there history. Finally, the Scarab transporter, which was shown at the 2008 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance by Don Orosco.

Orosco did indeed by 001, the left hand drive car, from Lance's widow.

Ownership History of Scarabs MkI, MkII, MkIII. Group 4 Winner Rob Walton driving his 1958 Scarab MKI.

I asked my mom to order it for my dad for Christmas.

Really good looking cars. This is located near the base of Camelback Mountain. (See here for a detailed list of efforts by Walmart associates to initiate a dialogue with Rob Walton. Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe

Note the mention of the Sterling Edwards Special in the beginning of the article.

The team tried fitting an Offy engine in 003, but it proved too heavy and not powerful enough. This car is the left hand drive car which Reventlow converted this car to street use in the early 60's. © Copyright 2015-2020 - AwakenTheGreatnessWithin.

Here he is in the last turn at Laguna Seca during the 1960 Pacific Grand Prix, which was part of the USAC Road Racing Championship. The number three car, the only Scarab with a hood scoop, was sold to the Meister Brauser race team in 1959. Walton took over as chairman upon his father's death in 1992. Family: Oldest child of Sam and Helen Walton.Wife Melani Walton, married 2005. Redman -- 1958 Scarab & Paul Brown -- 1961 Chaparral in Turn 5. I was twelve years old at the time. Jim drove it successfully until the end of 59 when the team was sold to Dan Blocker and the Scarab was sold to Augie. Until Lance Reventlow came along. Maserati 450S 1957 One day maybe we’ll see it on Petrolicious! Consider the layout of a modern sports car racer with its rear-mounted engine, then think of the Scarab layout from 1958. June 5, 2009 by Sports Car Digest Leave a Comment. I’m sure a treat to wrestle around the track, too. My father owned and raced the Edwards Special from 1958 thru 1963. ou left out the part where Jim Jeffords (58 and 59 National Champion Corvette driver) and Jack Stephani (Nickey Chevrolet Corvette Racing team owner) went to California and bought one of the 3 Scarabs from Lance. Ferrari 250 LM, Drogo long nose, LHD #5903 1964 Rob has a house in Paradise Valley, Arizona. Both Harry and Augie ran chassis #3 in 1959. Walton encouraged his father to expand Walmart internationally. I was fortunate (to say the least) to attend most of the L.A. Times GP from 1957 until I joined the military in 1966.

Imagine being strapped into that driver’s seat, 365 horsepower up front, Phil Hill next to you on the grid at Riverside on a hot California day.

[1] Wal-Mart primer from former company spokesman,” Northwestern Financial Review, Vol. It has gone on to win several prestigous awards including a first place at Amile Island Concoures. Jokingly named after a dung beetle, the Scarab is certainly one of the most beautiful automobiles of the period. Rob Walton has three. The big test came at Riverside in 1958 when Chuck Daigh in a Scarab outlasted Phil Hill in the Ferrari 412 MI. Rob Walton is currently the co-chairman of Arizona State University Institute of Sustainability and a trustee of his former College of Wooster. Ferrari 250 GTO, LHD #3607GT 1962 Scarab-Chevrolet 1958 Scarab MKI Ferrari 250GT SWB 1961 The finishing order Chassis 001, the left-hand-drive Mk I, was raced successfully in historic races the U.S. and Europe by Don Orosco, here seen at the Monterey Historic Automobile Races at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

Harry had also bought chassis #3 from Reventlow for 1959 season. Porsche 911S 1967 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta Zagato TdF, all alloy, LHD #0537GT 1956 Walton … The quarter-mile came up in 12.2 seconds at 120 mph. His present wife is Melani Lowman Walton. Mr. Porsche 935 1978 The unmodified road car reached 213 mph (343... Bugatti Veyron Grand sport for sale "Letter of intent" to. No other cars were even close.

I remember seeing Jill St John at the race, she was the best looking thing I’d ever seen. Since the 2004 federal election cycle began, Rob Walton has given nearly $217,000 in federal political contributions. I was small but slow as a College tackle.” – Rob Walton.

There had been some quick California concoctions, like the Troutman and Barnes Special, Ak Miller’s Caballos and Sterling Edwards Specials, but the Europeans held the best hand.

I now have it proudly displayed in my home. As I remember, my total fee was about $200.”. As Rob Walton, he is best known as the chairman of Wal-Mart, the eldest of three surviving siblings – with Alice and Jim – to parents Sam and Helen Walton, the former being the founder of Wal-Mart, and who together with Christy Walton, widow of brother John, control over 50% of Wal-Mart shares.

On the sides of the diff are the in-board drum brakes, each with it shroud-and-fins cover meant to act as a centrifugal cooling fan. [3], During Walton’s short tenure at Connor & Winters, Walmart was his client. Redman -- 1958 Scarab & Paul Brown -- 1961 Chaparral in Turn 5, Brian As an 18-year-old student at the Art Center College of Design, Pelly penned the famous exterior shape of the Scarab. ), Walmart shareholders have expressed concern about Walton’s leadership at the company. It was still in line with the likes of Ferrari and Aston Martin at the time, though with the mid-engine likes of Porsche and Cooper making inroads. Organization United for Respect at Walmart, an investment firm “affiliated with S. Robson Walton, Executive Committee and the Global Compensation Committee, Walton shares 96% ownership of the family’s Arvest Bank (Jim Walton, CEO) with Jim Walton and John Walton’s estate. himself, Speed was the Mistress of the 1950’s.

Ferrari FXX He died two weeks ago just before his 98th birthday. 5, 3/1/2009-3/14/2009. The quarter-mile came up in 12.2 seconds at 120 mph.

How quick was a Scarab? Written by John Lamm // Photos by Peter Harholdt courtesy of The Revs Institute. The World’s most impressive Car Collections.

Rob Walton’s car Collection (USA) Ferrari 250 GTO 64, LHD,# 5575GT 1964 Ferrari 250 GTO, LHD # 3607GT 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta, LHD # 2443GT 1961 Ferrari 275 GTB, Competizione Speciale, longnose # 07185 1965 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta Zagato TdF, all alloy, LHD # 0537GT 1956 Ferrari 250 TR Spider Scaglietti, LHD # 0714TR 1957