From the picture in the question, it might have been possible to do your suggestion more surgically in that case. Hi I had the same issue and some similar thoughts. The bolts will remain sticking out of the concrete. Add to that any code requirements to accommodate the frost line, and you may have three feet of post and concrete below ground.

Then sliding another smaller tube down the middle of the stainless steel tube to clear the cuttings. It only takes a minute to sign up. When it comes to installing steel fence posts in concrete many people take a cavalier attitude. It likely will be set in one of three ways: the post is bolted to the surface (got to step 2), the concrete was poured around the post as an anchoring weight below ground (go to step 3), or the post is metal and set into a concrete structure such as a slab or stairs (go to step 4). You will need a pretty substantial electric drill to do that, by the way. How deep should the concrete footing be for a gate hinge post?→, Prevent wood posts from rotting in concrete→. The problem with this being the wall running along the line of the fence beneath the surface is in the way of this. It looks like there used to be a brick wall there and then at some point the above-ground portion was replaced with the wood fence. I just went through the process of removing a broken-off fence post without removing the concrete pier. Tough job! Woodworking. But I digress. The post has snapped through rot at the base and the rot has set in so far that the post snapped about 2 inches beneath the surface. Andrew Jones says: March 16, 2015 at 7:20 pm $30 per hour. — Mike Barnes. Pretty clean, but not sufficiently clean that a new post would just slip down into the hole without some trimming. The problem with this is that I don't think there is enough post in concrete for the repair kit to attach to. The assumption that the concrete will protect and support your steel fence posts until the next ice age can prove dangerously false. Concrete vs crushed gravel for fence posts in clay soil? rev 2020.11.4.37952, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Home Improvement Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. An additional thought: I used a piece of finished 4x4 for my post for a couple of reasons that we don't need to go into here. I need to join my fence with my neighbor's; Can't use his post..how do I dig the hole for mine close to his?

If I needed to burn it out, I'd use a propane weed torch to do it.

Best Answer. While not a difficult job, this process can be labour intensive. I also took this approach. Is the "ancestor" relationship impossible to define in first-order logic? How has the first atomic clock been calibrated? He is maintaining that I am removing the old boundary line and taking part of his garden! Copyright 2020 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, All Rights Reserved. If you have fence posts that need repairing, check out our guide to fence post repair. Having drilled down to the bottom of a post, I managed to burn it out with a 4ft steel tube extension to my paint stripper gun. Nov 10, 2015 - Here's a pretty simply method for removing a fence post seated in concrete...all without digging or messing with complicated equipment. Why does my front brake cable push out of my brake lever? Previous neighbors had planted up to the new fence which I consider the new boundary line? How to remove a fence post in under 5 minutes...without digging!

Do not use dry ice in an area that lacks ventilation. The website even had a picture showing a little pile of briquettes piled up around a broken off post. We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer) as we strive to provide site experiences for browsers that support new web standards and security practices. You will probably want to drill pilot holes in the old fence because the wood is probably about shot and won't take a lot of abuse. Dig out the concrete and re-do. Getting the drill going was harder than I expected because the broken off top of the post was not flat and I couldn't cut it off flat because it was broken off below ground level. While not a difficult job, this process can be labour intensive. Dig down the entire length of the concrete fence post base with a shovel. Dig around the post and base until you have exposed all of the concrete. Start about 25 cm (10 inches) away from the post. Should you want to remove an existing fence or just replace one, you may need to remove posts that were set in concrete. The house is Victorian, I'm not quite sure what the purpose of the wall is. Instead of breaking up all the concrete around the post stub, just break off one side. Don't dig directly against the post. Determine how the post is set into the concrete.

Screw a piece of scrap 2×4 to the post a couple of inches from the ground, put a landscape timber alongside as a fulcrum, and use a long metal bar as a lever. If the fence posts are extremely tall or heavy, rig a sling around the post and lift each post out of the concrete using a lifting machine (such as a forklift, excavator or crane). Dig down the entire length of the concrete fence post base with a shovel. I have begun to remove the old concrete posts as they are unsightly and dangerous. Her areas of interest include culture and society, automotive, computers, business, the Internet, science and structural engineering and implementation. Clean out any debris that has fallen into the hollow centre of the post. What's the difference between two uname files. Reply. Does the sun's rising/setting angle change every few months?