Don't run the new one on an extension cord either! Any advice about this will surely help me to fix this problem. In my frustration, I decided to bypass the overload for a few seconds to see what would happen (I know I know, but I have not much left to lose). Push the spring clip that holds the piece in to the side with a screwdriver and insert the new overload protector. The outside coil is dirty or folded over so that the system has trouble rejecting heat, this causes the compressor to have to work harder and hence get warmer.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions about what might be the issue or what I could measure to figure this out. The weird thing is, the compressor seems to run for the 1-2 seconds before the overload trips, so not sure why the run winding would be drawing 15A.

It just seems so strange that the fridge would run for over a year in that condition without having any issue, especially the overload issue, but I can't think of a better explanation for why the resistance doesn't add up. A couple nights ago, I noticed that my fridge was clicking loudly whenever the compressor would kick on (and then back off). I'm measuring 15 amps of current draw through the compressor, which isn't dropping after 1-2 seconds. There is a huge difference between a refrigerator and a home air conditioner and compressors are not necessarily compatible. The coils are not open or shorted to each other or shorted to ground. By continuing to use the website, you consent to our use of cookies.

So, now it’s time to replenish that body and treat it nicely. The overload protector sits near the condenser by the current start relay and ensures the condenser does not overheat while working. When a  compressor is tripping and very hot the term used is: thermal overload. Replacing the overload protector takes only a few minutes and can be done by the homeowner. Capacitor across the PTC marked 5uF ±5% measures 4.62uF. Pull the wires that clip onto the piece away from the protector. By creating an account you agree to the Hunker, Reliable Appliance Repair Crew: Identification of Failed Refrigerator Components, Acme How To: How To Replace the Overload Protector. It's not just a hum, its definitely moving, so it isn't mechanically locked. The start coil gets 230V (Europe) briefly, then drops out, and the run coil gets 230V constantly once the first start attempt is made. You are now sweaty, beat, but probably feel pretty darn good for how hard you just worked. When a compressor is tripping and very hot the term used is: thermal overload. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. August 2012 Otherwise known as a vapor pump, the compressor then sends the coolant out the discharge line and to the condenser. Back on the overload, behavior resumes as before tripping the overload. An adjustable overload relay could be improperly set up, causing it to trip with a normal surge or temporary overload.

This causes the compressor to have to start while the refrigerant tubes have not had their pressure equalized. I monitored running current but it's fine. I don't know what all you have, but my guess is that the refrigerator compressor is too small to handle the load and is being overworked. The compressor is moving. It's not just a hum, its definitely moving, so it isn't mechanically locked. First uts all good but becouse of the Atf's detergent the oil becmes foamy. I just want to say that when a compressor fails, the system also starts to collapse. This within about 5 seconds of starting up. He is a 26-year veteran of the U.S. Navy/Navy Reserves and the Navy Seabees.

If I leave it off for some time it works again for half hour. The fridge was cold, and it seemed to be maintaining temperature from these short bursts of compression (maybe it wasn't but it hadn't been long enough for it to have cooled down). I know this is not typical but when I first got the fridge (used) over a year ago, I measured the same resistance values, and it's been running for over a year. I really appreciate this but how do I now figure it out if it still insist tripping for overload. Same as here in workers camp. BEEBE Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc. 9104 Cody St. Overland Park, KS 66214 (913) 541-1222 June 2012

The compressor is the reason why refrigerators feel hot in the back. Also the overload relay itself could fail. Without those resistances, my other first guess would have been a faulty start cap or start relay and it's getting stuck on run. It's about the only explanation I can think of for having an almost equal start and run, but a lower resistance for start + run. When people hear the refrigerator working, what they are hearing is the motor powering the compressor. This 15 amps is of course not normal here, and tripping the overload. As it does its job, it generates a great deal of heat. May 2013

Not within 5%, but not far outside either and could be at least partly based on the measurement. If so your windings have lost their varnish and your compressor has been cooked. The outside coil is dirty or folded over so that the system has trouble rejecting heat, this causes the compressor to have to work harder and hence get warmer. October 2012 Do not pull on the wire itself, but on the attachment clip with a needle nose pliers. Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. You appear to have ruled that out though. I know that it's the compressors thermal that is tripping but why ? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the refrigeration community, Questions, discussions, and stories related to the Commerical and Industrial Refrigeration industry, Looks like you're using new Reddit on an old browser. It comes on runs, shuts off and then tries to restart in under 5 minutes. I'm measuring 15 amps of current draw through the compressor, which isn't dropping after 1-2 seconds. There are many parts inside the box that must work together smoothly in order to keep the inside air at the desired temperature. Also surprised to hear it has a run cap, but no mention of a start cap? Jones Air Conditioning: (239) 596-5855 Naples, Bonita Springs, Marco Island 24 Hour Air Conditioning Service, Repair & Replacements. The compressor is 'short cycling'. To learn about our use of cookies and how you can manage your cookie settings, please see our Cookie Policy. Since then, I've unplugged it, and it's at room temp. He has managed radio stations, TV studios and newspapers, and was the chief fundraiser for Taltree Arboretum. So i change it with a non detergent air compressor oil. With those resistance values, I would have said the compressor is faulty. Give us a call if you have any questions: 239-596-5855. Then this problem occur the thermal overload keep on trippin?? The compressor is normally near the rear floor of the refrigerator. April 2013 Build a homemade air compressor out of a fridge compressor.

Strangely, resistance does NOT add up, with common to start and common to run both about 8-9 ohms, and between start and run at 6 ohms. I've pulled the PTC and measured the resistance over a range of temperatures. The compressor is moving. Compressor tripping on thermal overload; Cookie Consent We use cookies to improve your website experience. Especially when temperature setting is always in high cool or supercool for a long time and doors kept open and close. The overload protector is a small piece that provides a valuable service for any appliance that uses a compressor, such as a refrigerator or air conditioner. Have i question and hopeflly someone can help :)

Hi there! March 2013 At the second We would love to learn you want such a web web page, in circumstance which down the road may be noteworthy, which usually is sort of certainly alongside these collections banuak gain to a lot of people. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. A refrigerator is one of the hardest working appliances in the home. For more please visit www.gaslicht.com. February 2013 There are two usual suspects. Is it because of the oil not comptible? No matter how durable it is. The resistance drops from 12 to 10 ohms as it first heats up and then the resistance rises quickly (this appears to be correct based on PTC temp/resistance charts). Overload Relay Failure. Bleed a tiny bit of gas out and have a sniff, does it have a kindof burn smell to it? First of all off the refrigerator and plug out the refrigerator supply plug from the outlet, or switch off the double pole circuit breaker from which the refrigerator supply plug controlled. 2. Thanks for this very helpful post about compressor!). or the old atf oil residue etc is mix wth the new oil inside the hernetic comp? The refrigerator overload protector testing is very easy using a multi meter, to test your refrigerator thermal overload protector follows the below steps. The lid is usually held on with a clip that is popped off with a screwdriver. A compressor on thermal overload could eventually be a shorted compressor. May 2014 The compressor is normally near the rear floor of the refrigerator. The sensing device, of a bimetal strip made of two metals bonded together, expands in overload conditions to eventually trip a mechanical device. Wow this is an useful tip. 1. My AC starts and works for half an hour then the compressor stop while the fan keeps working. September 2012 This critically important part starts the cycle of refrigeration by doing just what its name states -- it compresses the coolant into a smaller volume.