Copyright, 1995-2015, REALTORS® Association of Maui, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Hawaiians didn’t know much about cattle, so Kamehameha III called California.In the 1830s, a team of vaqueros made the voyage to Hawaii—seafaring pest control, essentially—determined to restore the island to its unadulterated, no-marauding-cows state. First, you'll confuse Kapahulu Avenue and Kalakaua Avenue. North and south shores are comparable. At first, you'll try desperately to not be confused for one.

So in dealing with one intruder, they introduced another: When the vaqueros returned to the mainland, some left their guitars behind. Kauai does not have amphitheaters, amusement parks, or large shopping malls. I understand you are okay with a modest rental. Yes, our electric rate is higher, but we do not have heating bills in winter or air conditioning bills in summer. You packed up all your things and moved to Hawaii. But there’s an erratic beauty to the island that places Kauai in its own category. We do not have freeways — it is a small island without too far to drive in either direction. In the 1790s, Captain George Vancouver gave Hawaii’s King Kamehameha a handful of longhorn cattle. It has been provided by sources other than the Realtors Assoc. Carol. >Hi George 12. You'll get mercury poisoning.

List routes painted in front of each Jeepney van. Hawaii has a brain drain problem.

This home has been named one of the most romantic …, With travel restrictions lifted and social distancing still being practiced, I welcome you to Hawaii Island – virtually, that is! Two surfboards and $40 doesn’t cut it anymore. All rights reserved.

You used to make a lot more money, but that job was on the mainland (and you hated it). I’d booked a trip to Kauai because I’d begun to see myself the way my young children must see me—as a man bent over a laptop. Kauai offers many clubs for all kinds of activities that would interest most any hobby or passion.

Carol Andrews is a REALTOR Broker with Hawai'i Life. 11. Trying to drive anywhere and running into roadwork, traffic or a lane closure. When your response is: “No, I cannot afford not to move to Kauai,” please contact me or give us a call and let Hawaii Life show you properties to suit your lifestyle. You learn (and are forced to use) the term "underemployment." But eventually reality sets in and life begins to look similar to back home, only with perfect beaches and more time in the water, and less jackets. You'll miss out on countless contests and special offers, just for living outside of the contiguous United States. Featured properties may or may not be listed by the office/agent presenting this brochure. Kauai, Our property tax rate is generally lower than the Mainland and our sales tax of only 4%. Kauai Market Report; My Realtor Philosophy; Living Kauai; Moving Our 4 Dogs to Kauai. They know that the problems on Hawaii came from somewhere else. They had no formal music theory, so tunings were named for places and feelings; you’d have a “taro patch” tuning, a “wahine” tuning. Information herein deemed reliable but not guaranteed.

Part of HuffPost Home & Living. 5. January 13, 2017 Except you need a plane or a boat to GTFO.

How do you put a price on health and lifestyle? North Shore, Kauai. You'll try to avoid social media. 9. All this started with cows, she said. We have the most incredible beaches, mountains, hiking trails, bike paths, etc.. All of these magical breathtaking places are free for you to experience if you live in Kauai. People who are new to Oahu tend to live for about a year in the honeymoon stage, still euphoric about just living in Hawaii at all. I want to talk. Required fields are marked *. Again, some people like the cheap cost of living, but housing is priced on demand, and the fact is, there's not a lot of demand to live way out in Nanakuli.

Give up now. People who are deciding whether or not to move to Kauai are naturally concerned with the cost of living in Kauai. Even though you totally did it before you moved here. Your email address will not be published.

You waste way too much time curating your social media accounts to show the mainland just how awesome your life is here: Eventually, there will be a sunset you don't feel compelled to photograph. in Hawaii, Kauai, Buyers, Crisis is too sophisticated a term for an embarrassingly banal truth: I work, like most of us do, too much. The island is diverse with many residents in the local arts, natural healing, and we have phenomenal local musicians. Carol, I want to move to Kauai sometime soon I just don’t know exactly when. Additionally, the homes are the 3rd cheapest in the entire state at $339,300. Where else can you start every single day in the ocean by 7:00 am to get your exercise?

Humidity dictates whether or not you're going to have a bad hair day.

13. A faded strip mall, a juice stand, some unfussy shops, a tidy green missionary church, and you’ve passed it. Warmest Aloha A quick errand will take you three hours.