in 1988.

The cap’s clip features a slightly updated Parker Arrow design, although the modern iteration lacks the depth and detail of some of the originals. Nib Softness: 1/10 Appointments: Gold-colored The cap twists on very smooth threads to reveal a black acrylic section and a very attractive 18k gold nib.

And if you’re looking for a collection of pens that’s easier to find than the original Duofolds or Vacumatics, this is an area where you could still easily work to build out a complete collection from a well-known brand. Weight, Uncapped (with ink and/or converter): 20g Rather than returning to the days of celluloid or ebonite, however, the new Duofold came in a trio of sizes and using modern acrylics. This year the world commemorate 75 years of the end of the World War II. Borrowing heavily from its flat-topped ancestor, the modern iteration of the Duofold was released in the late 1980s as a celebration of the company’s 100th anniversary. It feels more like the design was stamped in rather than cast that way–particularly around the arrow’s fletching.

Their prices can range pretty widely depending on the material & rarity of the particular model, but the more common models haven’t seen a huge bump in value since their original offering. Filling System: Parker Proprietary Cartridge/Converter Length (Posted): 172.7mm

Followed by a slightly smaller version called the Duofold International, this great retro pen has … However, it’s still a very good writer, and a minor adjustment (the kind I could do myself) will almost certainly turn it from a good writer into a great writer. Cloudflare Ray ID: 5ed73ed99c191f29 These pens often sold for around $400 list price in 1996 (about $640 in today’s dollars), so they’ve not appreciated much in value in the last 22 years. Design innovation has slowed (or even stagnated, some might say.) If you’ve missed out on a discontinued color, chances are you can find it at one of the larger shows.

Matt Posted on March 31, 2018 Posted in Pens, Review No Comments. Crafted from solid acrylic with highly distinguished, contrasting contrasting platinum details. It is actually a collection of writing instruments with exceptional character and outstanding design. Parker Centennial Duofold MKII | Fountain Pen Review.

The barrel is capped off with another gold ring and a black, flat-ended finial that is similar to the one on the cap. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. ), Even today, Parker continues to make the Duofold line, although they did a hefty refresh/redesign in 2017. Dwight D. Eisenhower and Douglas MacArthur were US Generals with quite different personalities, but — being American patriots — they both used the same brand of pen for the surrender documents 75 years ago. Weight, Capped (with ink and/or converter):29g, Ink Flow: 6/10

These days, the Parker Centennial Duofolds are a relatively common sight at pen shows. Your IP: 95.216.65.90

After the surrender of the German on June, Japan decided to surrender on August, due to the continuous defeat at the Pacific theatre, the dropping of two atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but especially by the declaration of war and attacks from Russia.

If you are at an office or shared network, you can ask the network administrator to run a scan across the network looking for misconfigured or infected devices.

The correct order is: Classic Pens LB5, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age, Montblanc 149, Pelikan M1000, Pelikan M800, Parker Centennial Duofold, Pilot Metropolitan, TWSBI Eco, Lamy AL-Star, Jinhao x450, Esterbrook J.

Now I need to know — besides the usual arrow design of Parker pens — the story behind the ace of spade symbols on both the nib and the cap of this great pen. What keeps it from being great is that every now and again it will behave a little oddly.

I sought a fine, or extra fine fountain pen, for … Ink Starvation: 3/10 Eisenhower had chosen Parker 51, but MacArthur preferred to use Parker Duofold. Corrections to the video above: This pen color was released in 1996.

This is a cartridge/converter pen, and uses Parker’s proprietary system (which will also work with Aurora-branded cartridges and converters). The section’s tenon is metal, and so this pen is not a candidate for eyedroppering.

The Duofold design is based on the era of Jazz and Art Deco and reflects the abundance and style of the time. In the hand, I find the hand extremely comfortable.

It has changed ownership multiple times, closed historic factories, and even began outsourcing most of its manufacturing. It will feel temporarily dry or a bit feedback-heavy. Comfort: 8/10, check out this great post from the ParkerPens.net website.

Length (Uncapped): 128.2mm

The Duofold has remained in production since then, with different colors coming out on a regular basis or for a limited time.

Almost all other pens at the time were black, but Duofold was available in a bright red/orange color. Performance & security by Cloudflare, Please complete the security check to access. The cap is finished off with a double band in the same gold plating as the clip. Length (Capped): 137.3mm Their Vacumatic series, in particular, is one of the most-collected lines of pens of all time (and perhaps my favorite vintage pen.). Corrections to the video above: This pen color was released in 1996.

As a pen meant to signify the company’s centennial anniversary (they were founded in 1988), Parker didn’t skimp on the nibs they used for these pens. There is a minor amount of feedback, but nothing I could consider unpleasant.

This intermittent issue seems to be exacerbated when the pen has sat inked, but unused, for longer periods of time. In particular, the silver-colored arrow design makes this nib feel long and lean, but very strong. Hey, those mad Russians had even murdered their own Tsar on World War I and almost all of their own heroes just before the World War II.. Now, please forget those clumsy Russias with their bad fountain pens (at that time), and focus to the US. The metal in the tenon pulls a bit of weight toward the nib, leaving the pen nicely balanced. This new implementation never had the raging popularity of earlier Duofolds or Vacumatics, but became moderately collectible in its own right, with certain color combinations or limited edition runs catching a fair bit of attention. It was a large pen compared with other pens at the time. I bought this pen at a show for around $350. But they’re a very nice pen.

This model was known as the Lapis Lazuli and, like most of the new Duofolds from this era, was manufactured in Parker’s plant in England. Section Diameter: 10.2mm The bi-color custom design pays hefty tribute to the art deco and the contemporary design movements of the company’s heyday, while still being a modern interpretation. Some dimensions info:Weight 28 gramLength closed 135mmLength barrel 127mmLength posted 172mmDiameter 13mm. The one displayed here is a Parker Duofold Centennial, launched to celebrate 100 years of Parker pens, i.e. But the Duofold was a design that was 20 years older than the 51. (The original Janesville, Wisconson plant in the U.S. would end up being shuttered several years later.). Like Germany, Japan chose to surrender to the US rather than being occupied by Russia. The smaller version(s) of the pen were the International … There is no doubt that the Parker Pen Company has had a significant impact on the trajectory of the Fountain Pen Industry during its long lifetime.

An emblem of Parker's heritage and a symbol of excellence since 1921, Duofold remains the most distinguished pen in Parker's discerning lineage. The barrel of the pen is relatively straight-sided, but does have an almost imperceptible swelling toward the back end which gives it a slightly more “organic” feel.

But the modern Parker is a very different beast than the Parker of seventy or eighty years ago.

Completing the CAPTCHA proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the web property. Review of: Parker Duofold Classic Big Red Vintage Centennial Size Fountain Pen, Fine Solid Gold Nib, Black Ink and Converter This pen was a disappointment. Nib: 18k Gold Medium Nib As you can see from the macro photo above, the grind is a slight bit on the stubbish side, and the ink flow is generally moderate.

The pen for today’s review comes from the early phases of the MKII period…I’m guessing around 1996 or so. (Reused from an earlier photo). You may need to download version 2.0 now from the Chrome Web Store.

The cap is topped with a trapezoidal finial into which is inset a gold-colored metal medallion with a lovely, vintage-feeling medallion. Even at the USS Missouri, there were multiple pens used to sign the multiple copies of the Japanese Instrument of Surrender — all were standard black pens, except that one Duofold. The original incarnation of Parker, founded in 1888, was responsible for creating some of the most iconic and popular pens in history.

The smaller version(s) of the pen were the International and the Demi, not the Heritage as stated.

It’s long enough to use unposted, which is good, since posting the pen makes it approximately the size of a putter. Superior Craftsmanship Driven by a commitment to … Feedback: 3/10

(You can see my review of a 1940s era Duofold here, and a review of a 1920s era Lady Duofold here.) Parker started producing Duofold in 1921. In 1988, to celebrate its 100th year in business, Parker rolled out the Duofold Centennial.

In terms of writing, this 18k gold medium is a good, but perhaps not great, writer. In fact, most of the time, it’s actually an extremely good writer.

Another way to prevent getting this page in the future is to use Privacy Pass. (For a great article on the modern iteration of the Duofold, check out this great post from the ParkerPens.net website. Today’s Parker is but a shadow of its former self. The Duofold pen is available in 3 sizes, the large Centennial, classical International, or the smaller Demi. My Duofold Centennial is a lovely pen.

Barrel Max Diameter: 12.1mm The Duofold pen is available in 3 sizes, the large Centennial, classical International, or the smaller Demi. In the late 1980s, Parker decided to reinvent one of its original lines of pens, the Duofold. The one displayed here is a Parker Duofold Centennial, launched to celebrate 100 years of Parker … MacArthur used a Parker Duofold to sign the Japanese Instrument of Surrender on the deck of the USS Missouri (02 September 1945). Material: Acrylic It came with simplified, flat-topped design.

The pen has an 18 kt gold nib in F sizes. Eisenhower’s Parker 51 was used to sign the German Instrument of Surrender in Reims (07 May 1945). It’s well-balanced and light, and very attractive. Both were two of the most popular pens of their time.