You can read about our cookies and privacy settings in detail on our Privacy Policy Page. It’s also not really too tough to ride in the real world.

It's a 1/3 mile oval, but you can take it almost as a circle. Spend a few days on BROL It really is the only source of reliably helpful information that can guide you to an intelligent decision. In some ways it's easier than other bikes. We’re offering you any two free CBD samples on this page.

For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. No need for maintenance. Last tourer was DF Surly disc trucker. Lightening: U-2

That is very impressive considering my deteriorated state of fitness.

Let's just say I'm interested. If I was at full song, I’m sure records would have been shattered. Having said that, I have never enjoyed riding a bike as much as I do now. It says the front wheel WILL derail the chain in a 90 deg. Cycling | BicycleMan | Bike Hub | The Bike Rack | Catrike | Connecticut Yankee Pedaller | Cruzbike | Charlotte Cycles |  Draftmaster & Topper Racks | Fairfield You can also look for a three way Baron/M5/Jester test around championship time. Peugeot Optima from late eighties/early nineties - Price reduced. The Optima’s 52-inch wheelbase probably has a lot to do with its shock absorbing affect and it’s stable handling characteristics. Bicycle & Bikes - All Kind Of Cool Bike Stuff.

With the Optima line, Yellowbike was able to obtain a proven lowracer design with a pretty darn good resume. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands.

Unfortunately the answer may be  no. There are probably 20 excellent — and wildly different — recumbents perfectly suited to long range, totally self supported touring.

Difficult not only to stop but also to start!

Here is a frame set for sale. Like others have said, I have never had my chain derail during any turn, and mine is dropped alongside the fork as well.

To be fair, I forgot all about  how many gears I was shifting once I had the Baron out on the road. If you decide to get into the bicycle importing business, there are two equally effective ways to do it. Note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our websites and the services we are able to offer. Yellowbike has also been a pleasure to deal with.

Cyclery | Easy Street | Greenspeed | Hase | Hostel Shoppe | HP

You can block or delete them by changing your browser settings and force blocking all cookies on this website.

Optima Baron (High to Lowracer) / tourer recommendations Hello all. Recumbent | Recumbent Bikes of Tennessee |Recumbent Bikes & Trikes Denver | Recumbent Trike Store |Rose City Recumbents | Recumbent World | Rocky Mountain Recumbents | RTR Magazine | Schlitter | Seattle Trike | Sport Crafters| Steintrikes USA | Sun Seeker | TerraCycle

The Jester is a really nice fast lowracer.

Barcroftand: Oregon The next race was the faired class 1 hour lap race.

A bummer, because I own a Baron lowracer. My anticipation ended about a month ago.

The bike handled predictably and was rock steady in the higher speed ranges where it is intended to operate.

The Baron arrived from Yellowbike fully intact. My bike is a "quasi-lowracer" and I ride it year round for my commuting. However, I venture into downtowns and "stoplight" areas from time to time and really haven't felt threatened any more than I have on any other bent or upright.

All rights reserved. You must log in or register to reply here. Limited in their steering by the proximity of the cyclist’s legs to the wheels. Lowracers are still truly a niche market within a niche market, but as HPV racing gains popularity and recumbent customers get younger and younger, more riders are looking for bikes that are lower and faster.

I can't speak of the Jester but Iunderstand it is a really fast recumbent. The bike’s chain is routed out of harm’s way and does not interfere with the Baron’s turning radius. Upon further inspection I discovered that it did have a few flaws. I did have more than a few problems with the Baron’s Magura hydraulic disc brakes, but other than that the bike was fairly easy to assemble.

The agreement between Optima and Yellowbike made the Massachusetts-based company the exclusive North American importer of Optima bicycles and an instant player in the import recumbent market. I used to own 2011 Baron lowracer. He was racing a Optima Baron lowracer. The Baron has been an absolute blast to have around.

How did it really stack up at a bent? The new price was +- 2350 euro. It did not arrive in “customer” configuration. The Top Line version weighs in at 26 pounds without the Magura discs. I climb just fine - though it's a hurdle every once in a … The Baron isn’t really all that low for a lowracer with a seat height of nearly 13″ but the seat does lay all the way back to 20 degrees and the bike cuts a pretty small hole in the wind. Wheelbase – 51.6 inches

Components – SRAM Neos/Quarts, Magura Louise Disc Brakes I do 95% of my riding on rural roads, watching out for log trucks more than cars. The Baron has been a force to be reckoned with in European HPV racing. U-turns in the housing development are not a problem. We have decided that we will postpone production and active sales of our recumbents for the next 6 months.

I’ve seen what these bikes have done for some of my fellow competitors, so I was rather anxious to get my hands on one. They are always making improvements but many of the early issues have been addressed, no need to tinker anymore. The new price was +- 2350 euro. | Backcountry Recumbent Cycles I used to own 2011 Baron lowracer. Price – $2600. This will allow me to ride the bike during the next HPRA events and test the bike more under race conditions (and hopefully trounce at least a few of my competitors). Are lowracers good for non-track rides, in public road with traffic, and (possibly) without, 2. can lowracers handle urban riding (traffic lights, heavy traffic, etc.) I have no issues on my Optima Baron.

Your health, wealth, personal tastes, prejudices, and independence are all factors that come into play. The wheelset consisted of Sachs disc brake hubs, laced to Alesa Explorer rims that were shod with my favorite Vredstein S-Licks. The Baron has no water bottle braze-ons, no rack eyelets and it is very hard to strap anything to (including a flag).

These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our website is being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customize our website and application for you in order to enhance your experience. I use tall flag on traffic, weak on hills, stable on downhills and on flats. | TerraTrike | Triot | Sun Cyclery |  Trident | Utah Trikes | Victory Bicycles | Vite. If you do not want that we track your visist to our site you can disable tracking in your browser here: We also use different external services like Google Webfonts, Google Maps and external Video providers. In some ways it's easier than other bikes. Of course the aforementioned disc brakes added a touch of class to the Baron.

Click on the different category headings to find out more.

Constructed with heavy and complicated frames.

Getting on (or more appropriately, “getting into”) the Baron takes a little effort, but once you strap it on, it’s a very comfortable bike.

The two bikes are very similar in design and have an equally similar speed potential.

Has anyone got an Optima Baron Lowracer? Cycle | Angletech | Avenue Trikes | Archer |  Azub

Recommended touring recumbents: TiRush, GoldRush, Tour Easy (Look for quality used ER bikes, company is on life support) Bella, Giro 26 and 20 from Bacchetta Rans Stratus and all variations And, of course, the Cruzbikes. It’s not everyones cup of tea but it’s also not difficult to ride - my 12 yr old daughter and 64 yr old dad were riding on the streets in about an hour. Side note - what would you riders recommend for a bike that can be relied upon to tour but is equally pretty quick?