I was more in awe of how far the game had come even in the two years since I left. While being drafted in the AFLW system was the furthest thing from her mind seven months ago, White admits she watched on as a few of her former teammates represented their clubs on the big stage. SEASON GUIDE All you need to know about the Lions. In fact, her form went in the opposite direction, claiming the WAWFL league best and fairest award at season’s end, which led to the Dockers selecting the ruck in the 2017 AFLW draft and making White one of the oldest draft picks in AFL history. "I still don't know what TikTok is but I'm trying to suss it all out. Our Stories, The Next Gen, Women of AFLW, The People I didn’t think it would eventuate,” White added.

The home of the NAB AFL Women's.

In fact, her form went in the opposite direction, claiming the WAWFL league best and fairest award at season’s end, which led to the Dockers selecting the ruck in the 2017 AFLW draft and making White one of the oldest draft picks in AFL history. © Copyright 2017 AFL Players’ Association.

As for his form as he prepares for his 398th AFL game in his 23rd season — he won’t be on the plane to Perth to play Fremantle on Saturday — there has been no obvious signs of the vultures that attack the AFL aged, such as an inability to keep his feet, lack of pace or a desire to present on the frontline of fire. She had a strong 2019 season – finishing sixth in the best and fairest – and after a return to Melbourne during the winter to resume her job and some part-time media work, was offered another contract by the Lions. "I'm learning different languages all the time. You can find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out “I knew it wasn’t going to be easy to come back so I put in a lot of work during the pre-season. It's a real balancing act. "I need something else outside footy to keep my brain ticking over and keep me interested in something outside myself," she said. The next closest player in age to Fletcher is Kangaroos evergreen Brent Harvey — he turns 37 next year and would need to play on to 2018 to match the Bomber’s milestone. But AFL football is a very different game to cricket.

And when I have watched him this year he still seems to be getting a lot of the ball in that spare-man role they play him in defence. It took only 15 games for Jodie White to impress the Dockers. — Tennis star Monica Seles was stabbed in the back by a crazed fan in Germany. From 1897 to 1989, it was known as the Victorian Football League (VFL). I’d been watching the game so I was expecting a lot better skill and fitness and it was certainly that. White didn’t expect to have the season she did, she only wanted to keep up.

— Essendon won the AFL premiership and Gavin Wanganeen won the Brownlow Medal, — Fletcher’s Bomber teammates Jackson Merrett and Lachlan Dalgliesh were born. here. "As a footballer I feel like I'm so much further ahead than I have been. WHATEVER his ultimate retirement plan ends up being, 40-year-old Dustin Fletcher has elevated himself into a very rare sporting club by remaining in the top echelon over four decades. With the NAB AFLW home-and-away season coming to an abrupt end due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the womens.afl player of the year has been crowned. A much-loved member of the Bomber family, it’s not unusual to see Fletcher sharing a cuppa with various staff members on his day off. Jasmine Garner has pipped Jaimee Lambert to win the AFLCA AFLW Player … The game has improved even more — it’s quicker, fitter and harder at the contest. “The two years off did me some good, it gave the body a rest and some time to focus on family. "It's an interesting case in wellbeing because I'm finding just focusing on footy and not doing a lot of work, I'm getting so much more out of my body. Brisbane gave Arnell a chance to extend her career, and in doing so, she took a secondment from her AFL job to play with the Lions. “You do become slightly more cautious, it’s just natural as you get older. — The AFL had 15 teams, including Fitzroy. Credits.

", A post shared by Brisbane Lions AFLW (@lionsaflw) on Jan 9, 2020 at 7:39pm PST. Sachin Tendulkar was 40 when he played his last Test in 2013. The home of the NAB AFL Women's. I watched a lot of the women’s games and it was in the back of my mind but more around how it’d be great if I had the chance. FOR THE first time in her life, Lauren Arnell is concentrating solely on playing football. “And I have no doubt they manage them better these days. "My job has finished at the AFL and my main source of income now is football, which is strange for me because I've always had a full-time career either teaching or with the AFL before AFLW started," Arnell told womens.afl. And despite being older than every one of her AFLW peers, White is primed for her crack at the big time. Collingwood Eliza Hynes of the Magpies and Parris Laurie of the Dockers compete in a ruck contest during the 2019 NAB AFLW round 3 match. Now two decades later, her five-year-old twin boys, Josh and Lucas, will have the chance to watch their mum do the same. The standards had lifted but so had White’s enthusiasm for the game and her motivation was at an all-time high at the beginning of 2017. Arnell, who will turn 33 during the upcoming AFL Women's season, has uprooted her life in Melbourne to live in Brisbane, and in doing so, has left herself without a job. Leaving them in the Dust, star Tiger claims Finals MVP of the Week. Reinvigorated, White’s footy career has reached new heights a mere 13 years after it began at the age of 24. Arnell is enjoying a strong pre-season and smirks when reminded she is the oldest player on Brisbane's list. After relocating with her young family to Port Hedland, 13,000km north of Perth, she didn’t know if she was ever going to play again but missed the camaraderie of the sport she grew up loving. Michael Tuck, a hard-running ruck-rover who played a record 426 games in 20 seasons between 1972-91, says the last factor becomes a bigger factor than most would realise. Coming back after a her two-year layoff, White knew her age and the game’s progress meant she needed to improve to keep up with the younger, faster and more skillful players. “It wasn’t a motivating factor as such. Picture: AFL Photos.

Vic Cumberland is the only other VFL/AFL player to play into his fifth decade — and that was almost a century ago. She said the three things that will determine how long her career goes are her performance level, her health and her enjoyment. To join the conversation, please log in.

FOLLOW THE LEADER Your club's 2020 captain and leadership group. Lions veteran Lauren Arnell prepares for the 2020 season. She’s always loved the physicality and the excitement of footy, which was enhanced when watching the likes of Guy McKenna, Gerard Neesham and Don Pyke running around for Claremont as a child. I’m in a better head space now than a few years ago.”, Please enter a screen name and valid email address, or connect via the following Fletcher looked set for that reality two years ago but once again managed to keep the wolves at bay, although it should be said Essendon has been extremely mindful of ensuring the round-shouldered defender’s journey into the next life is as painless as possible.

This article was published on 26 October, 2017. — Shane Warne delivered the “ball of the century” to Mike Gatting, — The average price of a house in Melbourne was $83,500, — Nirvana’s In Utero was the album of year, — Jurassic Park was the top grossing film, — Al Pacino won the best actor Oscar for “Scent of a Woman”, — Nelson Mandela won the Nobel Peace Prize. This is also known as Online Behavioural Advertising. Cumberland was 43 when he returned to the VFL in 1920, after serving in World War 1, to play for St Kilda.