80 to me is a number that represents a perfectly fine whisky.

It’s still not great, but it’s also not so bad for a $20ish bourbon, although I still prefer Evan Williams Bottled in Bond at around the same price. To be honest, it could be a lot worse so I’ll take it. ( same mash bill, same company) Mouth: Almond, cinnamon, clove, hint of orange. Except where otherwise noted, this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported license. Pre-reveal Thoughts: Whiskey number one is sweeter and a bit of a cinnamon bomb. Tonight’s competition is between Division 2 Number 2 seed Old Forester 100 proof and Number 3 seed Buffalo Trace. It does its job and goes home. Make your guesses and check back next time to see who comes out on top.

So whiskey two is the winner here. Proudly spouting nonsense, with an occasional dash of knowledge, since 2012, Bottom-Shelf Brackets 2020: Round 1: Buffalo Trace vs. Old Forester 100 proof, ← Bottom-Shelf Brackets 2020: The Championship Rounds, Bottom-Shelf Brackets 2020: Round 1: Elijah Craig vs. Maker's Mark →. In that competition, Old Forester won. Tasting notes are from before the reveal and may be a little unusual since they were being tasted at the same time and may influence one another. Old Forester Bourbon has this oaky, roasty, and sweet caramel, vanilla, and gently smoked grain up front, followed by dried citrus peel, apple, candied fruits, cinnamon, and hints of licorice afterwards. Sign up with your email address to receive an email notification when a new article publishes. The bourbon that’s so good they decided to name the distillery after it: Buffalo Trace! Post-Reveal Thoughts: In another case of proof making the difference in a head to head matchup Old Forester 100 proof advances to Round 2, just like last year. Check out the BourbonGuy Gifts store at BourbonGuyGifts.com. It’s pretty clear to me that the bourbon is relatively young, but I’m finding a somewhat fragrant and flavorful, yet light, mix of sugars, fruits, oak, wood spice, and that Brown Forman banana note usually found in Jack Daniel’s.

In that competition, Old Forester … The "heat" or "burn" is better which adds to the enjoyment of the product.

I did not try the 86 proof Old Forester, but I am impressed with the 100 proof. Alas, it is seemingly extinct. Tonight we finish Round 1 of the 2020 BourbonGuy.com Bottom Shelf Brackets. In my past blind tastings, Old … And their opponent is the Pride of Frankfort. After a minute or so I get some roasted banana, dried citrus, licorice, and mint.

It's not bad, it's not fantastic. I didn’t expect that Jack Daniel’s trait to carry over to Old Forester, but I’m starting to realize that it’s a Brown Forman thing. First up: the Pride of Louisville, the first Bottled Bourbon, let’s welcome to the stage: Old Forester 100 proof! Please note: The hard, $15 cut-off means certain mid-shelf brands such as Old Forester (86 proof) or Four Roses Yellow Label missed the tasting, as … Tonight’s competition is between Division 2 Number 2 seed Old Forester 100 proof and Number 3 seed Buffalo Trace. Buffalo Trace is the namesake bourbon from Buffalo Trace Distillery. Almond, cinnamon. Mouth: Vanilla sugar, caramel, cinnamon, oak. Composition: 72% corn, 18% rye, 10% malted barley, Color: 1.1/2.0 on the color scale (burnished), “Created in 1870, Old Forester is the only bourbon continuously distilled and marketed by the founding family before, during and after Prohibition. The finish, while light, is actually kind of nice and certainly a good ending for Old Forester. There are 2 main differences between Maker's 46 and Maker's Mark. Never miss another article! Buffalo Trace put up a good fight in this one, but the Old Forester brought the heat and that made the experience more enjoyable. 7 and Gentleman Jack. Whiskey number two is super enjoyable in a holistic way. Old Forester Bourbon 86 Proof is a shelf staple offered by Brown Forman, the company well known for Woodford Reserve and Jack Daniel’s.As the Old Forester line has expanded to include the Whiskey Row series and more recently the 100 proof and cask strength Old Forester Single Barrels, the 43% ABV version continues to be the most affordable entry point into Old Forester bourbon at around … Proof: 100. With “chewing”, the finish becomes a little more oaky, dry, and sweet all at the same time with honey, toasted grains, vanilla, sliced apple, and citrus. That happened to be Buffalo Trace which will get a score of 80. I like the flavor of whiskey one better and if it had the heat of whiskey two, it would be the clear winner. By a strange coincidence, this is a repeat matchup of last year. Finish: Medium length. Tonight we finish Round 1 of the 2020 BourbonGuy.com Bottom Shelf Brackets. And hey, if you are an iOS user, look for Bourbon Guy in Apple News. That and I have been searching for an under $20 bourbon for cocktails. It’s not a complex or interesting bourbon, but it’s also decently enjoyable. To close out this relatively brief conclusion, Old Forester Bourbon 86 Proof is a decent bourbon that isn’t going to blow anyone away, but it’s also not bland or offensive so it’s easy enough to drink without issue. Please support me on Patreon! Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 Year Review, 2020 Bomberger’s Declaration Bourbon Review, Gentleman Jack vs Elijah Craig Small Batch Comparison, Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel Bourbon Review, Potomac Wine and Spirits WhistlePig 10 Year Single Barrel Rye Review, Maker’s Mark Private Select Bourbon Review, Kavalan Single Sherry Cask The Whisky World Review, Kooper Family Prodigal Son Bourbon Review.

Im going to also review Old forester 1920. Please visit BourbonGuyGifts.com today! Purchase Info: $24.99 for a 750 mL bottle, Total Wine, Burnsville, MN.