As I mentioned earlier, I first got into this thing just wanting to learn the constellations.

DSLR, Mirrorless & General-Purpose Digital Camera DSO Imaging, Community Forum Software by IP.BoardLicensed to: Cloudy Nights. From there, the order is Pisces, Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra Scorpius, Sagittarius, Capricornus, Aquarius. Each method adds its own layer of knowledge and enjoyment. Marty.

I'd say, "point to any star and I will tell you its name."

The stars at your latitude are perhaps the best (certainly favorite). consult your local almanac. At some level, the best way to learn the constellations is by star-hopping to specific targets. celestial

Then grab willing parents, or friends, etc and pontificate away about as many parts of the sky as they can stand. What worked for me was to check a planisphere to see what's up and the constellations general relation to each other, and then check a more "normal" chart to see the constellations with less distortion.

Every clear night, I would go outside with that gear and a outdoor chair and pour over the Pocket Sky Atlas, dial in my Planesphere and LOOK at that portion of the sky so that I would understand and try and memorize that portion of the sky.

Milky Way. This worked well for the big and familiar ones but I found it was the smaller ones that vexed me.

I started out in this thing a LONG time ago, and all I wanted to do was learn the constellations. Earth is tilted by 23.45º, our galaxy - the

understand that I started with the current vernal equinox constellation - Pisces (at least until the dawning of the age of Aquarius...). What do you think is the best way to learn the night sky? After that go find Cassiopeia, which can point you at Pegasus, Andromeda, Perseus. If you travel downward toward the equator, you'll be able to see more of the sky from the Southern Hemisphere's perspective, while also losing more of what you'd normally see in the Northern Hemisphere.

Be aware of planets; in time you’ll know if you’re looking at a planet or star, and even know which planet it is. Problem for the OP is that I don't think it works for the southern hemisphere. I would emphasize practice to gain and retain proficiency. I started with a phone app and learning the bright stars by name. The top 2 stars in the Dipper point, sort of left to right, to Auriga. In order to help find our way around the night

cannot be seen from your exact location so please

I immediately pointed to them with my green laser pointer, and they asked me, "how do you know those are planets?" I enjoyed that quite a bit.

Binoculars: Seperate Mizar+Alcor, try clusters in Auriga.

Our planet is separated by an imaginary line called the equator that splits Earth into the Northern and Southern hemispheres. Most literature bangs on about Polaris being the "pole star".

Edited by Stu Todd, 30 March 2018 - 05:36 PM.

Using the Worldwide Telescope, an open-source telescope that allows you to easily view space online, Weigel explained that the solar system's eight large planets are on the same ecliptic plane. Specifically, the zodiacal constellations, reasoning that no matter what season we were in there would always be at least three of them visible at any time.

In 2013, I moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Both of these are OLD now, but there are plenty of equivalents, some of them better, I'm sure. My first sighting of the Southern Cross was from the back seat of a taxi on my way past Copacabana Beach.

I just recently savored my way through John Barentine's two books, "The Lost Constellations" and "Uncharted Constellations."

Instead, I'd visit mountains over Los Angeles where I could look down to see lights coming from the city.

This explains why eclipses, meteor showers, and other phenomena can only be seen on certain parts of the Earth.