The DNR decided to remedy this by stocking the lake with tiger muskies. Most were in the high 30-inch range, but among the fish was a 46-inch tiger muskie.

( Log Out / 

average-joe. You have to fight the over abundance of weeds but the results for both muskie and bass are worth the effort. Great place for a picnic, bbq, run, biking, sailing, swimming or just sun bathing. Try Rainy River, Lake of the Woods, for a mid-summer dream trip. The only other person I saw having any luck was fishing with 2 poles using treble hooks and night crawlers. The weeds are limited, the dropoffs are sharp and the contours are very bowl-like. Date of experience: July 2012

Fished the north side for a bit this afternoon with no luck. Fished for bass and muskie a little bit this morning before then rain moved in. Pick up your chicken hot, ready-to-eat for tonight’s dinner or cold, sealed fresh for tomorrow’s lunch. Fished the south side of the lake for pike today from about 11am-1pm. Rental canoes are available. Muskie Fishing-> Fishing Reports and Destinations-> Lake Calhoun Metro . Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. "But there are a lot of tigers cruising the shallows from 6 feet and shallower, where there aren't many weeds and the tigers are in those locations during low-light periods.". That means going after fish that have not seen a lot of different lures. Complete details on the plan are outlined elsewhere in this article and more information, including the opportunity for public input, can be found on the DNR Web site. "This has been a successful program for large Esox style fish in the metro because tiger muskies are not as challenging to catch as pure-strain muskies, so less skilled anglers can go local and catch fish," said Dave McCormack, assistant regional manager at the DNR's central region fisheries office. We had a couple follow and missed on eat the boat.

A b it busier and just a little closer to the busy activities of Uptown in Minneapolis. Didn't get a thing. ... Read More. Matt Johnson is a metro fishing guide and angling expert from Thorne Brothers Baitshop. Calhoun can be a very decent musky/walleye/bass lake, Harriet also has a population of nice walleyes if you can find them, and some huge muskies.

The first step is perfecting your release. “Sunrise, sunset, moonrise, and moonset are the best times to target muskies and will give anglers the best shot at catching one.”. "The weeds go down quite deep on this clear lake, and so reaching that outside edge from shore is tough," David said.

Find one of many 'rent-abike' kiosks around town. Wheelchair access: Excellent. The most productive area tends to be in and around the expansive basin bottoming out at 11-feet deep in the middle of the lake. The metro tiger muskie population is truly world class.

Follow directions to chain-of-lakes...closest lake is under 2 miles from DT. The water of Gervais is stained with only a 3-foot clarity reading, and so bright colors and lures that make noise are often the best tickets to success. That's because I caught my first tiger there and my biggest. Here’s what you need to know about catching the big one on both of these popular Minneapolis metro lakes: According to expert angler and long-time Minnetonka muskie guide, Kolt Ringer with Foley Belsaw Outdoors, August is the prime time for muskie fishing on Minnetonka. New locations added monthly. I have seen a couple of portables along the north shore.

read more, I have never been to this lake before but found myself driving by and thought I’d stop and walk a...

As with the Minneapolis Chain, only electric motors are allowed. Agency: Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board 612-230-6400. Went out this weekend at sunrise for muskie. There are plenty of docks and floating diving platforms as well as some flooded timber in a southwestern bay. Tried to find the toothy critters on Calhoun this weekend. Back in the 1980’s, fish were sparse on Lake Calhoun.

Tigers tend to give more of a fight over a longer distance. The only other person I saw having any luck was fishing with 2 poles using treble hooks and night crawlers. Picked out some good spots for sucker fishing in the fall, wishing people wouldn't take the big ones out for food in this are though. Elk burger patties... With the Hobie MirageDrive 360 pedal propulsion system, anglers have ultimate kayak control... Increase a lure’s effectiveness by pairing it with the ideal reel speed. It's just simply the best place to hang out for me in the spring, summer and fall! © 2020 Minnesota DNR | Equal opportunity employer |, Call 651-296-6157 or 888-MINNDNR (646-6367).

Learn more about that by reading this article.

DNR RESPONSE TO COVID-19: For details on adjustments to DNR services, visit this webpage. Cedar has been stocked since 1984 and has demonstrated tremendous growth rates, McCormack said. Connect with me on Facebook and LinkedIn! Available species are Common Carp, Walleye, Largemouth Bass, Muskie, Panfish / Bluegill, Northern Pike, Yellow Perch. © 2020 Outdoor Sportsman Group. I have never been to this lake before but found myself driving by and thought I’d stop and walk a... On the very populat chain-of-lakes in the heart of the city. Muskie Hunt: Where To Catch A Trophy Fish In Minneapolis. Tigers like smaller bait, so you don’t need massive tackle or a heavy-duty rod and reel. You have to fight the over abundance of weeds but the results for both muskie and bass are worth the effort. The new Oklahoma record measured 76 inches long and weighed 143 pounds.

InterContinental (IHG) Hotels in Minneapolis, Marriott Autograph Collection Hotels in Minneapolis, Hotels near University of St. Thomas (Minnesota), Hotels near William Mitchell College of Law, Hotels near Minnesota School of Business - Richfield, Hotels near Northwestern Health Sciences University, Points of Interest & Landmarks in Minneapolis, Game & Entertainment Centers in Minneapolis, Historical & Heritage Tours in Minneapolis, Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours in Minneapolis, Health/Fitness Clubs & Gyms in Minneapolis, Mass Transportation Systems in Minneapolis, Conference & Convention Centers in Minneapolis.

Contact me, Jeanie Hoholik with Keller Williams Classic Realty NW to begin your house hunt today. Typically, after the first cool spell in August, muskies move into shallow water to seek warmth and find food, Ringer says.

Good luck! Has anyone been out this year on Calhoun? The only other person I saw having any luck was fishing with 2 poles using treble hooks and night crawlers. I went out last night but didn't do anything other than drill a few holes. Look at the results from last week's Wahl tournament and you have proof that the muskies on Harriet are biting. Saw 5 or 6 smaller muskies cruising the shallows, but couldnt get any of them to bite. "You can catch them on big muskie tackle, but they also like lures normally reserved for bass.". Nowhere else in the world can an angler pursue tiger muskies ranging from 8 pounds on up to 20 pounds within the shadows of either downtown and in the broader metro area. Cast a fathead minnow hooked 24 inches below a bobber into 8 to 10 feet of water. Stevenson said he fishes the shallows from time to time now, but the concentration of his time is along the sharp break between 20 and 25 feet deep. And the pier lets you cast to deep water.

Big muskie caught on Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis, MN on 11/10/2005 I caught this personal best last year while drifting a sucker along a deep milfoil weed edge on a cold blustery late November day in Minneapolis. The bikes were terrible, but the lake was very nice...

Mostly flay route for biking. Fished for bass and muskie a little bit this morning before then rain moved in. Let me know what you will be targeting and I will try to give some better info. Location: Minneapolis, approximately 3 blocks west of Lake St. and Hennepin Ave, Species: Bluegill, Crappie, Tiger Muskie, Northern Pike, Largemouth Bass, Walleye, Yellow Perch, Carp, Bullhead. Considered the best lake in the west metro by many tiger muskie anglers, Cedar Lake is not your typical muskie lake by any stretch of the imagination. Anglers fish from the shore or by wading the shallows, but some mid-lake structure is worth fishing from a boat. Lake Calhoun is a body of water in MN (Hennepin). Calhoun gets down pretty deep and looks like a northwoods lake on a contour map with plenty of sharp breaks, deepwater structure and mid-lake structure.

So where exactly are the best metro area lakes for catching a tiger? Anyone have any idea where to fish this lake or what to fish with? Didn't catch or see any muskie, neither did any of the other people I saw around the lake muskie fishing. Non-motorized watercraft such as kayaks or canoes also work great for getting into these connected lakes, each with different structure and opportunities for a tiger.

Where taken: Lake Calhoun Calhoun Lake combines great fishing with great views of Minneapolis, The City of Lakes. Lake Minnetonka and Calhoun are home to some world-class muskie fishing. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. more. Calhoun is a trophy play these days and not much else.

Always lots of people enjoying the warm weather. 4th of July watching fireworks while swimming here is awesome. Fished early morning yesterday until noon. While there are two accesses on Calhoun, the lake is often free of fishing boats. Calhoun may be the best place to dip your toes into muskie fishing for these reasons: Still, the fishing is worth it. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. The Minnesota Renaissance Festival Is Here! To catch walleyes, try fishing at sunset in late June. The long-term success of tiger muskies is up to anglers who take care of the fishery and are extra careful with the fish they catch. "What makes that lake so good is that it's not fished very heavily at all and it has a great forage base with all those game fish in there, plus all the suckers and carp," Stevenson said. He caught his state-record tiger muskie in 1999 by slow-rolling a spinnerbait along the dropoff in pursuit of the big tiger. Subscriber Services. There's so much structure out there that a long run from one area to the next is not even a good option. During this time of year, fish can be found in Fall patterns. The parking is on the street, meaning you must compete with everybody walking, sailing, biking and rollerblading around the lake for space.

This one simple trick will trigger more bass strikes on a jerkbait during the fall months.

read more.

"One thing about tigers is that they like smaller lures," he said. It has a several different species that we fish for each year. In the summer, one great presentation is throwing a chatterbait around submerged vegetation.

Some threat of theft from car so beware. Didn't catch or see any muskie, neither did any of the other people I saw around the lake muskie fishing. "Shoreline anglers can have a great time walking around Calhoun and casting both the inside weed edge and reaching that sharp break that's often very near shore," said Ronald David. Isles is shallower and murkier, while Cedar is smaller and much less pressured from the shoreline and lake, making it a good sleeper lake. Catch-and-release is required for fish under 40 inches and highly recommended for those fish measuring more than 40. During most of the 1990s, Lake Calhoun had the state-record tiger muskie, a 33-pound, 8-ounce beauty caught in 1991. It's perfectly located, there are concessions and a restaurants, and adequate bathrooms. The lake is full of perch, crappie and bluegills that roam throughout the lake, so be prepared to cover water. New Ice Fishing Gear from Rapala: Ice Rod Protector, Folding Camera Panner, Super Light and Mobile StrikeMaster Lithium 24V Auger Delivers the Power You Need to Get on Top of More Fish Faster, New Sufix V-Coat Lines Refuse to Freeze for Exceptional Rattle Reel Ice Fishing Experience, Aqua-Vu® Pro Dr. Bruce Samson Inducted into Fishing Hall of Fame, Advanced Vertical Jigging For Late Fall Walleyes.