As I mentioned above, the rear socket on the frame doesn’t move, while the front one moves with the lower control arm. With coil spring suspensions, ride height and stiffness are controlled by the coil springs we install. No dips, pot holes or debris. Here’s the general area under the passenger side lower control arm. It must compliment each other. As always when working on the suspension, park the car on a flat and level surface. Jack the car up if increasing ride height before you adjust. If you want to know how a super stiff torsion bar would react, just imagine a go-kart at high speed with no suspension. Let’s see how to do this. I set ride height on all my cars as low as I can without scraping and still being able to turn the wheel from lock-to-lock. Slide a piece of cardboard under the car, or use a creeper. Race tracks have ideal traction surfaces. They are not comfort guys, they are performance guys. It takes much more than springs to make a car handle. It started at 24 inches, I raised it to 24 3/4.

BEFORE ANGLE: In the back parking lot of Palo Alto High School, the boys’ gym in the background. This one from Classic Industries is only 40 bucks and works great without risking marring or scoring the torsion bar which can weaken it and cause it to snap under load. On the part about even and odd numbers. ( Log Out / 

The biggest mopar bar I can find is .96" not sure if that is stiff enough. If yours came with everything, remove the adjuster bolt and plate and replace them with the new hardware.

Notify me of follow-up comments by email.

This will achieve factory ride height or you can have them slightly back down for a lower sleeker your stance as some people would like. CNC technology to ensure manufacturing consistency of each torsion bar … If you enjoyed this post, please LIKE SHARE COMMENT. From there you will have to go to a parts book to see what application that part number fit. Adjusting Your Classic Mopar’s Ride with the Torsion Bars.

Basically, a torsion bar is a high-strength steel bar that connects to the frame behind the front wheels and the lower control arm. Before the adjustment, the distance from the ground to the apex of the froth wheel well (using the center of the wheel cap for a reference) was 24 inches (BTW, I am running 235/60/15 BFG’s, the equivalent to the old F-60’s which was the largest option sized tire for the E-bodies, only the T/A model had the larger G-60 on the rear). Nov 14, 2016 #5. Car’s have this great capacity for personalization and the torsion bar setup on your Mopar makes tweaking your ride height a snap. Here’s how I measure the height of the car, from the ground to the lower lip of the fender well moulding. Thanks for your input Cal, I’m sure it will help one of the readers.

The torsion bars have an adjuster which allows control of the front end ride height without replacing any parts. I have a small block 318 car and I terrorize a windy mountain pass and drive like it's on rails.

Great if you want to imagine that you’re on the high seas, but horrible if you’re trying to carve a corner, or even get a good 60-foot time at the track.

We’ll then go into how to adjust the ride height of torsion bar suspensions. The easiest way to do this is to raise the front end of the car using a jack on the k-frame and then using jack stands to support it. Wiggle the torsion bar clamp/Vise Grips back and forth as you smack your clamp towards the rear of the car. Now, give the torsion bar sockets, front and rear, a liberal spray with the lubricant/liquid wrench again. Whether or not you have significantly changed the car’s ride height, you should take it to have the alignment checked. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. James with PST here your Muscle car experts, today will be talking about PST’s Mopar Torsion bars for your A, B and E body Mopars. PST FBBO Vendor FBBO Sponsor. The L or R side does matter. Just really leaning into lines and hoping my setup has me. However, our A-, B, and E-body classic Mopar rods built with torsion bar front suspensions. Fine as long as the track is perfectly smooth but if not.... MoparLeo's assessment of street car suspension needs is correct. Put the transmission in gear or Park and firmly set the parking brake. Put your Sam Safety Glasses on now. ( Log Out /  Measure the ride height again to make sure both sides are equal. Just as an overinflated tire will tend to bounce off the pavement when hitting a bump a spring that is too stiff will do the same thing. You want to set the car’s suspension again. Park the car on a flat and level surface and block the rear wheels after ensuring that the transmission is either in gear or Park and the parking brake is firmly set. Using a 5/8-inch socket (Maybe a 9/16 on some cars) loosen this bolt until it flops around loosely. Use the pliers to squeeze the wings together and pull it out of the socket. Ah...ok...that explains why I couldn't reference the 426 number.

NOTE: On some cars, especially those in areas that get snow, you may need to heat the rear socket to convince it to release the torsion bar. I understand that I can unsubscribe at any time.

A passenger side bar will have a 30 degree left handed twist.

What significance does that have assuming both are the same diameter. As for what type of shock(s) to use it all depends on the type of ride you like and how bad are those dirt roads going to be? Taken in 1981 by my friend Mike Avery in San Diego, while we were in the Navy. Move to where you can see the rear of the torsion bar socket in the frame behind the front wheels. Slide under the car so you can see the bottom of the lower control arm. Copyright © 2020 Performance Suspension Technology. We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Both ends of the torsion bar are hexagonal-like a nut. It’s like a C-clip with wings that wrap over the upper lip of the torsion bar socket. Cornering is a package of the tire,wheel,spring rate, shock absorber. Mike also has experience in the amateur ranks of many of racing's sanctioning bodies. The photo is a bit of an angle looking downward, you’ll need to look directly perpendicular to sight your measurement. Photo taken on my non-ratcheting 16 inch breaker bar. JavaScript is disabled.

The socket on the frame behind the wheel is fixed-it can’t move.

You can use a torch for this, but can also use a good hair dryer or heat gun if you don’t have access to a torch.

You must log in or register to reply here. One of the unique features of a classic Mopar is the front torsion bar used in place of the commonly used coil spring front suspension. Bars can go in either direction, front and rear doesn’t matter. Mike's love of cars began in the early 1970's when his father started taking him to his Chevron service station. The socket the ends of the torsion bar fits into is also hexagonal.

Smack the socket on both sides of the frame a few times, just hard enough to let it know you’re there but not hard enough to leave marks. You can observe this preset by laying the bars down on a flat surface and observing how the bar is twisted. Replaced the stock T bars with replacement Mopar bars; going one step up (installing 440 bars in place of the standard issue HD 340 bars, 778-9 to 780-81) Driver's side went in no problem RT side I had to play with the clocking by moving the LCA up slightly. DO NOT SUPPORT THE CAR BY THE LOWER CONTROL ARMS OR BALL JOINTS! Swapping them out isn’t terribly difficult, it’s just time-consuming. RH torsion bars have even part numbers, LH are odd numbered. Some new torsion bar kits only come with the torsion bars themselves, while others contain everything: new torsion bars, adjuster bolts and plates, and boots. We been selling this type of bar longer than Hotchkis. Use a flat punch or a dowel against the rear end of the torsion bar and give it a firm (but not hard) smack to ensure that the bar is properly seated front and rear.