Summer performed at the world-televised Music for UNICEF Concert, joining contemporaries such as ABBA, Olivia Newton-John, the Bee Gees, Andy Gibb, Rod Stewart, John Denver, Earth, Wind & Fire, Rita Coolidge and Kris Kristofferson for a TV special that raised funds and awareness for the world's children. "[29] At 2009-December 11 Donna Summer appeared at the Nobel Peace Prize Concert for Barack Obama. 21 and "Supernatural Love" went to No. Summer had filed a $10 million lawsuit against Casablanca; the label counter-sued.

She said, "I actually am, probably in September. [30], On July 29, 2010, Summer gave an interview with Allvoices.com wherein she was asked if she would consider doing an album of standards. [21], In 1986, Harold Faltermeyer wrote the title song for a German ski movie called Fire and Ice, and thought Summer would be ideal to sing the song. And if we can remember her through her music, this will never really be the last dance." Geffen decided not to release the album Another Place and Time, and Summer and Geffen Records parted ways in 1988. 41 pop) and "The Woman in Me" (No. If I have caused you pain, forgive me." [36], In the mid-1980s, Summer was embroiled in a controversy when she allegedly had made anti-gay remarks regarding the then-relatively new disease, AIDS. Summer died on May 17, 2012, from lung cancer, at her home in Naples, Florida. She had one of her biggest hits in the 1980s with "She Works Hard For the Money", which became another anthem, this time for women's rights. The Wanderer was rushed to market. On the final day of rehearsals, the kids turned up and they had a full rehearsal. She touched many generations and will be sadly missed. She closed her letter with Bible quotes (from Chapter 13 of 1 Corinthians). Summer was also nominated for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance for "Protection", penned for her by Bruce Springsteen.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Donna's family and her dedicated fans.

Summer said, "I wanted this album to have a lot of different directions on it.

[56] She was interred in the Harpeth Hills Memory Gardens cemetery in Nashville. After a record label passed on signing the group since it was only interested in the band's lead singer, the group agreed to dissolve.

Faltermeyer, in a 2012 interview with Daeida Magazine, said, "She was an older artist by then and the label's priority may have been on the youth market.

That was a mistake, because only a few tracks had been finished, and most of them were in demo phase. In Los Angeles, Summer was also one of the founding members of Oasis Church.[44].

So with that mentality we just backed out of it.

Billboard Dance Chart. 1 on Billboard's R&B chart for three weeks. 1 on Billboard's album chart: Live and More, Bad Girls and On the Radio: Greatest Hits Volumes I & II. She received her first American Music Award nomination for Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist. Summer's main objective for the album was that it have stronger R&B influences; Faltermeyer who had just finished doing the soundtracks to Top Gun and Fletch, was after a tough FM-oriented sound. [12] One of her first TV appearances was in the television show, Van Oekel's Discohoek, which started the breakthrough of "The Hostage", and in which she gracefully went along with the scripted absurdity and chaos in the show.

9 on the Billboard 200 chart; the highest chart position of any female artist in male-dominated 1983.

While her fortunes on the Hot 100 waned through those decades, Summer remained a force on the Billboard Dance Club Songs chart over her entire career.

She lived in rare air ... She was the most spectacular, considerate, constant, giving, generous and loving friend of 35 years. [33], On June 6, 2011, Summer was a guest judge on the show Platinum Hit, in an episode entitled "Dance Floor Royalty".

The soundtrack and single both went Gold and resulted in Summer winning her first Grammy Award, for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance. 33 pop).

1995,[45] where she took time off from show business to focus on painting, a hobby she had begun back in the 1980s. It would be released years later in 1996, under the title I'm a Rainbow.

It would be the first time that such an album package would be made. "It's a moment that I regret immensely: a grand finale concept I came up with that couldn't be filmed in the end". I'm going to do both and we will release them however we're going to release them. Due to an error on the record cover, Donna Sommer became Donna Summer; the name stuck.

1, and "Bad Girls", the single, would climb into the top five on the Hot 100. The song "Highway Runner" appears on the soundtrack for the film Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Seeking an American release for the song, it was sent to Casablanca Records president Neil Bogart.

She claimed a top 40 hit every year between 1975 and 1984, and from her first top-ten hit in 1976, to the end of 1982, she had 12 top-ten hits (10 were top-five hits), more than any other act during that time period. [19] When the final sequence was filmed, Summer's daughter Mimi and her family members joined her on stage for "State of Independence". [10], She married Austrian actor Helmuth Sommer in 1973, and gave birth to their daughter (called Mimi) Natalia Pia Melanie Sommer,[11] the same year. He thought if this was that kind of reaction in rehearsal, then what an impact it would have in the concert. When David Geffen stopped by the studio for a preview, he was warned that it was a work in progress, but it was almost done.

According to Grant, "It looked and sounded amazing. I just wanted it to be a sampler of flavors and influences from all over the world. The songs I'm a Fire, Stamp Your Feet and Fame (The Game) all reached No.

", "Donna Summer collected news and commentary", Donna Summer collected news and commentary, The Dance Collection: A Compilation of Twelve Inch Singles, Endless Summer: Donna Summer's Greatest Hits, Can't We Just Sit Down (And Talk It Over), Dream-A-Lot's Theme (I Will Live for Love), ABC Television Center in Los Angeles (Stage 54 or Stage 55), The Dick Clark Saturday Night Beech-Nut Show, List of acts who appeared on American Bandstand, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Donna_Summer&oldid=983948808, Grammy Award winners for dance and electronic music, Articles with dead external links from December 2018, Articles with permanently dead external links, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from June 2019, Wikipedia articles that are excessively detailed from December 2014, All articles that are excessively detailed, Wikipedia articles with style issues from December 2014, Articles with unsourced statements from October 2016, Articles with unsourced statements from July 2015, Articles with unsourced statements from July 2014, Articles with unsourced statements from May 2015, Articles needing additional references from June 2014, All articles needing additional references, Turner Classic Movies person ID same as Wikidata, Wikipedia articles with BIBSYS identifiers, Wikipedia articles with MusicBrainz identifiers, Wikipedia articles with SNAC-ID identifiers, Wikipedia articles with SUDOC identifiers, Wikipedia articles with WORLDCATID identifiers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 17 October 2020, at 06:52.