They got to where they are by seeking challenges and taking risks. “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a … It only took me around 20 minutes. Give people some ownership in how they do their work and you’ll get better results as these famous generals and Presidents knew so well.

There are pearls of wisdom that sounds like someone snagged them from the encouragement section of the Hallmark store–then put them in poster form and hung them around your office. I did my two-year military service; I was brought up in a very Jewish, Israeli family environment, so of course my heritage is very important to me. “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.”

494 Copy quote.

And still there are things worth fighting for.” – General Norman Schwarzkopf, U.S. Army, We honor the over 1.8 million who have died serving the United States since 1775. If you need to work on your listening skills as a leader, here are two places to start: Being a dictator is a poor way to lead. – General George S. Patton, U.S. Army, “The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. God never told you hurt or kill another, man did. We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives that we've set. Every single man in this Army play a vital role. It’s the real world, and there’s a reason why we’ve been KISSing things since 1960 when the U.S. Navy reminded us all to Keep It Simple, Stupid. I saw courage both in the Vietnam War and in the struggle to stop it. Chile was such a solid democracy.

Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here, How to confront an employee performance problem. It's something I've always been interested in. You miss out on the critical thinking skills of the people executing your orders or instructions, and you kill their drive and motivation.

The War Powers Act requires presidents to seek the consent of the American people, through their representatives, before sending our troops into war. How do you act when your team isn’t around? “Even if you strive diligently on your chosen path day after day, if your heart is not in accord with it, … Amateurs do tactics, experts do logistics, as we learn in the military. Foster it and preserve it at all costs.

The Soldier is also a citizen. It would never happen in Chile. At war, motivation means a lot because, without it, people will lose their point. Our military, police, and first responders risk their lives to protect ours, and so today - and every day - we should thank those who serve and honor those we've lost. And in the end, when God asks you: "Who told you to kill one of my children? God never created division or set up any borders between brothers, man did. Votes: 0, I've always been fascinated by the military, the discipline they have and the sacrifices they make to defend the country. Have you own favorite military quotations that you have updated into modern parlance? Votes: 0, The military world is characterized by the absence of freedom - in other words, a rigorous discipline-enforced inactivity, ignorance, cruelty, debauchery and drunkenness. – General of the Army, Douglas MacArthur, “In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States, and former General of the Army, “The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.” – General Norman Schwarzkopf, U.S. Army. But although we update our doctrine, we never update our quotes. Give people some ownership in how they do their work and you’ll get better results as these famous generals and Presidents knew so well.

Has the U.S. begun a new Monroe Doctrine in the Middle East?

Once all teams were communicating and listening to each other, suddenly actions that would take a week could be executed in a matter of hours. Here’s a good place to start: When you lead others, the example you set is the most powerful way you convey to them what’s important. “Clarity and simplicity are the antidotes to complexity and uncertainty.”– General George Casey. Your real character is revealed when you’re given authority. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense.

Shall be my brother, or sister; be he or she ne’er so vile,

But if you’re ready to roll up your sleeves and lead your team to success, you don’t want sugar coating. I send it to conquer and take currency prisoner and bring it back to me. You learn discipline and strength of character. The Chinese, as befits a Communist autocracy, approached the task of dominating the Olympics with top-down military discipline.

Most of wars or military coups or invasions are done in the name of democracy against democracy. If you’re looking for help thinking about how to delegate more to your team, here’s a good place to start: Whether your team runs a submarine, is fighting on the front lines of World War I, or writes software, it’s important to show respect, care, and loyalty to them. – Ghengis Khan, USPACOM J3. “It is well that PowerPoint is so terrible, lest we grow too fond of it.” Other than that, he's a great military man, I want you to know that. Votes: 0, I realized that both the military and religious orders depend on discipline to shape people - which routine does, in a lot of ways. Our armed forces exist solely to ensure our nation is safe, so that each and every one of us can sleep soundly at night, knowing we have 'guardians at the gate.'. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter.”, “...It is a proud privilege to be a soldier – a good soldier … [with] discipline, self-respect, pride in his unit and his country, a high sense of duty and obligation to comrades and to his superiors, and a self confidence born of demonstrated ability.”, “Soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are smarter than the orders they've been given.”, “The consensus seemed to be that if really large numbers of men were sent to storm the mountain, then enough might survive the rocks to take the citadel. Well, actually just one thing: the lawyers at the Department of Justice have to bless off on it.” Discipline (565 quotes). Send drones out as soon as you can. Think again.

Act accordingly. What did your superior see in you? “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” – John Quincy Adams. These posts can help you think more about that: Perseverance through adversity is key to succeeding in battle, and in life. National holidays like Veterans Day and Memorial Day are a good time to remember that simple fact captured painfully by Major General William T. Sherman, who is most known for “Sherman’s March” during the Civil War: “It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. – Thomas Aquinas, U.S. Air Force Chaplain Corps, “It is fatal to enter into any war without the will to keep creating PowerPoint presentations.”

A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. –David G. Farragut, DFAC cook, “Turn in the Command and Staff slides first with the most pictures” – Nathan Bedford Forrest, EO Advisor, FORSCOM G-1, “Never mind the torpedoes, ground guide speed ahead!” – David Farragut, ISAF G-3, “Thank you but no.” Anthony MacAuliffe, JRTC, “If you brief enough of them, they stop using their cellphones on staff duty.” – Curtis LeMay, The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his Toughbook! Nobody can turn you into a slave unless you allow them. “The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people.” – Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States, and former U.S. Army Colonel, “To get the best out of your men, they must feel that you are their real leader and must know that they can depend upon you.” – General of the Armies John J. Pershing, U.S. Army. That’s the most important quality in a good leader.” – General George S. Patton. 17. They cut even more time off their delays by commanders trusting those under their command to act based on what they were seeing and hearing. If your actions inspire others, you’re a leader. It's something I've always been interested in. Fifteen military leadership quotes for managers. All the changes have come about not because of the militaries or government but because small groups of people spoke out against what was unfair and unjust. Keep a level head, weigh your options, and then get down to work. Instead of micromanaging their day or dictating down to the last crossed T and dotted I, give your team a direction and let them take the reins. Alright, alright. This was part of what had made her resist the military: the fact that she could make decisions like this, that she did have a mind for strategy, that people could be so easily become pieces in a game she was determined to win...”, “Military guys are rarely as smart as they think they are, and they've never gotten over the fact that civilians run the military.”, “God created every man to be free. Behind every great success story are equally great challenges they had to overcome. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. If you’re a manager, here’s a couple places to start: Great leaders are lifelong learners, whether you’re a 4-Star U.S. General or the manager of a team of engineers. As these generals and former President know so well, it’s the ability to push forward that matters most. – Ulysses S. Grant, National Security Adviser, “Cry,’Havoc!’ and let slip the dogs of limited, low intensity counterinsurgency.” They do AC/DC better than anyone, “Be responsible for pissing people off.” – Colon Powell, “In a man-to-man fight, the winner is the one with more storage in his thumbdrive.” – Erwin Rommel, “In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is inefficient.” – MAJ Dwight D Eisenhower, AS3, FUOPS, “We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit Congress to ask for more funding.” They beat it, starve it, mistreat it, and once in a while they let it out to attack somebody.”, “Kestrel's cruel calculation appalled her.

Learning as a leader can come from both dedicated study, and from the hard won lessons of experience. Optimistic people play a disproportionate role in shaping our lives. Votes: 2, There are many examples of women that have excelled in learning, and even in war, but this is no reason we should bring em all up to Latin and Greek or else military discipline, instead of needle-work and housewifery. – George Washington, President of the United States, “God is not on the side of the heavy battalions but on the side of the people who complete their Accident Avoidance Course.”

Every man is a vital link in the great chain.” – General George S. Patton, U.S. Army. (or you?). I had a very strong feeling about the Vietnam War, and I had a strong feeling about participating in it. Most of you probably do not know about Churchill’s failings in World War I. How managers can become more effective listeners. 2014 - 2019, How Modern Managers Can Build Trust with their Employees in 2018. In this ever-changing world, it's more important than ever that our top-notch military continues to receive the resources needed to serve and protect our country.