JUST WATCHED Speaking on Good Morning America, Moore said, “We wanted to announce today that we are super excited to continue the work that we’ve been doing together, but doing it as a married couple.” In other words, Maya Moore is going to continue her work fighting for the wrongly incarcerated, but now she is going into combat as half of a dynamic duo. When she played in college at the University of Connecticut, the Huskies went undefeated in back-to-back seasons, winning national titles in 2009 and 2010. Hours later, Irons was the one kneeling.

A life that had to be fought for, and taken back from a system that wronged them. "Because in my mind, I didn't know if I'd be home," he said. Irons said. "Thank God it's over," Moore said in a video of Irons' release she posted on her Instagram, captioned with the word "FREEDOM.". "We got married a couple months ago and we're excited to just continue this new chapter of life together.".

Click here to log in or subscribe. Moore was a basketball prodigy and Irons was “skeptical” whether Moore would remain in his life as she embarked upon an epic college career for the dynastic UConn Huskies.

A journey for justice turned into a love story when Maya Moore, one of the W.N.B.A.’s brightest stars, married the man she helped free from prison. As Jonathan Irons took his first steps outside of prison more than two months ago, Maya Moore dropped to her knees in relief and happiness.. For Reprints and Permissions, click here. Women of the Century: Billie Jean King says everyone needs a champion.

When he breathed freedom for the first time since he was a teenager in March, he said of Maya Moore, “She saved my life. WNBA superstar Maya Moore announced her marriage to Jonathan Irons on Good Morning America Wednesday, but this is anything but a typical athlete wedding. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Irons, who is African-American, was tried as an adult and found guilty by an all-white jury. This continued in 2020 when Moore announced that she’d once again skip the season, instead focusing on criminal justice reform. The officer who interrogated Mr.

I thank everybody who supported me — Maya and her family.". Irons admitted to breaking into the victim’s home, but Mr. Ms. Moore sunk to her knees when he walked out. Irons was released from prison in July, nearly four months after his conviction was overturned. Microsoft may earn an Affiliate Commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article. “I feel like I can live life now,” Irons said. In his decision Green wrote the case was “very weak and circumstantial at best.”. “Pure light.”. freestar.config.enabled_slots.push({ placementName: "thenation_right_rail", slotId: "thenation_right_rail_362696" }); But the Moore family fought for his freedom and two years ago, inspired in part by the Ava DuVernay film 13 as well as her generation’s awakening to the fight for racial justice, she walked away from basketball to join the fight. In March, Mr. Irons’s conviction was overturned by a state judge in Jefferson City, Mo. The WNBA star, who left professional basketball two seasons ago to … Dave Zirin.

It’s a reminder that hope, even when it feels like just a gasping glimmer, still exists. That relationship continued when Irons was locked away to be forgotten, just another number in a system that houses more people behind bars than any country on earth. It was challenging to go to Missouri for visits, but they kept in touch. Hours later, Irons was the one kneeling. The couple said they planned to continue to educate people about voting and to help others who had been wrongfully convicted.

Prosecutors claimed that Mr. "Entertainment is a place where you want to relax and not have to think about the cares of the world, but we are in the world and the world is broken.

WNBA star Maya Moore marries Jonathan Irons after helping overturn his prison sentence. For now, the happy couple get to start their life together in earnest. Additionally, it was later revealed that a key fingerprint report, which showed prints in the home that didn’t belong to Stotler, and actively eliminated Irons were not submitted as evidence, nor were they turned over to the defense for scrutiny.

Maya Moore is now married to Jonathan Irons, the man she helped free from prison. "Right now, I'm really just trying to breathe from this long, long battle and enjoy and rest and, you know, again, just being in the moment," she said. And I didn’t want her to feel trapped and I wanted her to feel open and have the ability any time if this is too much for you, go and find somebody.

Irons had been convicted for burglary and assaulting a homeowner with a gun -- a conviction that was overturned by a judge in March. 40-year-old Irons was serving a 50-year prison sentence stemming from a 1998 burglary and assault conviction in Missouri, despite no real evidence proving his guilt. ", Moore explained the growth of their relationship ... saying, "Over the last 13 years we have just developed a friendship and just entered into this huge battle to get him home and just over time it was pretty clear what the Lord was doing in our hearts and now we're sitting here today, starting a whole new chapter together.".