(Volume 2 explores the lost works of Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides. ga('ec:setAction', 'add'); ga('ec:addProduct',

I am also one of the academic team behind Exeter's new Liberal Arts degree programme. }); $('#addtocartbutton-457539').click(function() { ga('ec:setAction', 'add');

'id': '9781474276474', I organized an international conference on this last topic - Classical Literature and Quotation Culture - and am currently editing a volume of papers based on the conference. Matthew Wright and his wife open up on Lorraine about 'frightening' stalker ordeal ... Exeter The school has confirmed it has had no impact on any children or families within its school community. Professor Matthew Wright Professor of Greek. Professor Matthew Wright Professor of Greek. With its promised sequel, it will also enable us to see these three in a new light and against a far richer background.” –  Alan Sommerstein, Emeritus Professor of Greek, University of Nottingham, UK. }); $('#addtocartbutton-367406').click(function() { { ga('ec:setAction', 'add'); 'name': 'Menander: Samia' I am also one of the academic team behind Exeter's new Liberal Arts degree programme. Copyright University of Exeter. The Very LostTragedians attested in literary sourcesTragedians in epigraphic sources Less securely attested tragediansEpilogueAppendix 1: TranslationsAppendix 2: GlossaryAppendix 3: ChronologyAppendix 4: Guide to further reading and resourcesBibliography of works citedIndex, “Wright marshals a mass of references from the best part of a thousand years about a strong tragic tradition which lasted well into the Hellenistic period before declining from Greek into Latin. I am also the author of The Comedian as Critic (2012), Euripides: Orestes (2008), Euripides' Escape-Tragedies (2005), and numerous articles and reviews. ga('send', 'event', 'UX', 'click', 'add to cart'); Available on Bloomsbury Collections where your library has access. Including English versions of previously untranslated fragments as well as in-depth discussion of their significance, The Lost Plays of Greek Tragedy makes these works accessible for the first time. ga('ec:setAction', 'add'); }); I have been a member of the Department of Classics and Ancient History at Exeter since leaving Oxford in 1999, and I have taught many different courses in Greek and Latin language and literature.

Can the study of lost works and neglected authors change our views of Greek tragedy as a genre? ga('ec:addProduct', 'name': 'Menander: Samia' Volume 1 (Neglected Authors) was published by Bloomsbury in 2016, and Volume 2 (Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides) appeared at the end of 2018. Click here to find personal data about Matthew Wright including phone numbers, addresses, directorships, electoral roll information, related property prices and other useful information. ga('ec:addProduct', AcknowledgementsPrologueA genre in fragments'Minor' tragedians and the canonTypes of evidence'Reading' lost worksNote on the plan and structure of this volumeNote on the conventions and abbreviations1.The Earliest TragediesSubmerged literature and the origins of tragedyThespisChoerilusPratinasPhrynichus2. Matthew has 4 jobs listed on their profile.

Professor Matthew Wright Professor of Greek. }); $('#addtocartbutton-367405').click(function() { Matthew Wright went to Catholic school. Overview; Research; Publications; OFFICE HOURS (TERM 2, January-March 2020): Mondays 3-4 p.m., Fridays 10-11 a.m. ... Matthew Wright First Impressions. { Through his column, Matthew started to attract attention on TV, and in 1998 he consolidated his TV work joining GMTV as the show’s TV critic with a once a week slot alongside Lorraine Kelly. ga('ec:setAction', 'add'); 'id': '9781474276481', 01392 724206. Numerous lost playwrights are identified, traced as far as maybe with a diligence that is admirable, even formidable.” –  AgathonLife and careerArt and Life: The evidence of Aristophanic comedyAgathon's styleAphorisms and quotation cultureAgathon's originalityThe plays4. During 2020-1 my modules include Greek and Roman Narrative, Greek IV, Ancient Literary Criticism, and Lost Works and Fragments; I am also Admissions Tutor.

He began his career at the tender age of 14 when he starred in Big Wheels and Sailors for the Children’s Film Foundation. }); }); $('#addtocartbutton-271249').click(function() { See the complete profile on LinkedIn and discover Matthew’s connections and jobs at similar companies. 'name': 'The Lost Plays of Greek Tragedy (Volume 2)' This first volume examines the remains of works by playwrights such as Phrynichus, Agathon, Neophron, Critias, Astydamas, Chaeremon, and many others who have been forgotten or neglected. Other recently published books include Selfhood and The Soul (an edited collection in honour of my colleague Chris Gill), a new translation of Euripides' Ion, Helen and Orestes by Diane Arnson Svarlien, to which I contributed the introduction and notes. }); At various times I have also been one of the editors of JHS, a committee member of the Council for UK Classics Departments (CUCD), a Council Member of the Hellenic Society, and a member of the editorial team of Omnibus. Alan Sommerstein, Emeritus Professor of Greek, University of Nottingham, UK. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our, Arion: A Journal of Humanities and the Classics. I organized an international conference on this last topic - Classical Literature and Quotation Culture - and am currently editing a volume of papers based on the conference. Johanna Hanink, Associate Professor of Classics, Brown University, USA, It looks like you are located in Australia or New Zealand, Continuing Professional Development (CPD), The Lost Plays of Greek Tragedy (Volume 1), The Lost Plays of Greek Tragedy (Volume 2), Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies, Bloomsbury International Encyclopedia Of Surrealism, Items in your basket cannot be carried over to a different region, and some products may not be available to order due to territorial rights. I am a classical scholar, literary critic and teacher with wide interests in ancient and modern literature. After graduating, Matthew tried his hand at something entirely different and settled on journalism. 4206. 'id': '9781350124790', Matthew Wright is Professor of Greek at the University of Exeter, UK. Volume 1 (Neglected Authors) was published by Bloomsbury in 2016, and Volume 2 (Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides) appeared at the end of 2018. I am also working on fourth-century Greek comedy, and have recently finished a short book on Menander's Samia ('The Woman from Samos'), which will appear later in 2020 in the new Bloomsbury Ancient Comedy Companions series.

At various times I have also been one of the editors of JHS, a committee member of the Council for UK Classics Departments (CUCD), a Council Member of the Hellenic Society, and a member of the editorial team of Omnibus. Using our site | Freedom of Information | Data Protection | Copyright & disclaimer | Privacy & cookies. Other recently published books include Selfhood and The Soul (an edited collection in honour of my colleague Chris Gill), a new translation of Euripides' Ion, Helen and Orestes by Diane Arnson Svarlien, to which I contributed the introduction and notes. All rights reserved. }); }); This website uses cookies to improve user experience. ga('ec:setAction', 'add');