Reigning world cyclocross champion Mathieu van der Poel (Corendon-Circus) is set to make his ‘cross season debut on Sunday at Superprestige Ruddervoorde, and the versatile Dutchman has a packed racing calendar on tap to follow, with a total of eight starts planned in November. Custom cycling shoes that will make you swoon, 2021 Australian Road Nationals will proceed – but with some changes, Esports Worlds will be raced on Tacx trainers, Trek-Segafredo extends contracts for five riders: Daily News Digest, L39ION of LA go Continental, sign Skylar Schneider, Kendall Ryan, Why Elisa Longo Borghini’s National Championship victory matters so much. Norway’s Alexander Kristoff took third place. https://t.co/3623qyw7o8, — Alex Howes (@alex_howes) October 30, 2019, British Cycling unveils wild track bike for 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Feature Image: Mathieu van der Poel at the Amstel Gold Race. "Maybe number 51 (as my father) told me, now I'm starting to believe it.". Mathieu van der Poel added another rainbow jersey to his growing collection, and headed straight to the Swiss Alps. After what he’s accomplished this year I certainly wouldn’t bet against him. "It's incredible," van der Poel said about winning the Belgian Monument 34 years after his father. The third round of the Cyclocross World Cup, in Tern, Switzerland, takes place on October 20, two weeks after the Olympic mountain-bike test event in Tokyo. Sign up to the Cyclingnews Newsletter. Ever the pro, he booked a hotel at 1,800m. After securing his third cyclocross World Championship title, Mathieu van der Poel told Cycling News that he would love to race Enduro. “He is wise enough to know what he can and cannot do, and moreover, he can ski very well. England and Wales company registration number 2008885.

Michigan’s Barry-Roubaix returns for its 11th year in 2019 with its biggest field to date. He’s winning against road racers who are not competing in cyclocross or mountain bike events. “Putting normal constraints, what most people would expect to be not possible, for them becomes possible, and a challenge, and something that actually motivates them. But I would like to know more on how he plans on staying at such a high level for such a long time. It’s a real pity that he hit the moto,” said Van Aert, who had been looking to become the first rider to win the Tour of Flanders and Milan-Sanremo in the same year since Eddy Merckx in 1975.

It was an extraordinary achievement. He’s currently the world cyclocross champion, winner of the Amstel Gold Race (and Dwars door Vlaanderen and Brabantse Pijl), the European mountain-bike champion, and as of Sunday, the winner of six mountain-bike World Cup races this season — four short-track events and two in the Olympic cross-country discipline.

While most teams would frown on their star rider hitting the slopes ahead of an Olympic year, van der Poel got the thumbs up from Alpecin-Fenix brass. Ronde van Vlaanderen (April 5) "Tokyo is my big dream," said Van der Poel to Sporza last week. “They had already called my name twice, but I couldn’t believe it. “There’s also an opportunity that if those things aren’t handled well, then he could come up short. Mathieu Van der Poel (Alpecin Fenix) won the BinckBank Tour 2020 with an exciting 50km solo attack on the last and decisive stage around Geraardsbergen with a tough final circuit including the ascents of the Denderoordstraat, Bosberg and especially the Tour des Flandres’ Muur van … "I was dead in the sprint, neither of us knew who had won. How far can you climb under lockdown? And I do know that it would be a shame to see him arrive at the Tokyo Games overdone for what he’s repeatedly stated is — for the moment, at least — his biggest career objective. Stijn Devolder has retired but Kristian Sbaragli of Israel Cycling Academy is expected to ink a two-year deal, while Sacha Modolo of EF Education First is also likely to join the Dutch Professional Continental team.

Brabantse Pijl (April 15) Pierwszy sukces w karierze van der Poel osiągnął w 2012 roku, kiedy zdobył złoty medal w kategorii juniorów podczas przełajowych mistrzostw świata w Koksijde.Złoto zdobył także rok później, w kategorii U-23, na mistrzostwach świata w Louisville, a podczas rozgrywanych w 2014 roku mistrzostw świata w Hoogerheide był trzeci. Bath Van der Poel, whose father Adri won the one-day race in 1986, launched the two-man sprint and managed to just hold off Van Aert after 241 kilometres. In signing the 31-year-old German, Jumbo-Visma has completed its roster for the upcoming 2020 campaign, concluding a transfer season that saw the squad also add Tom Dumoulin, Chris Harper, and Tobias Foss. Those road results include WorldTour wins at Amstel Gold Race and Dwars door Vlaanderen, and a fourth-place performance at the Ronde van Vlaanderen that all the markings of a rider capable of winning if not for a crash with 60km remaining in the 266km race. Christoph Pfingsten at Paris-Nice. Van der Poel on the podium at the UEC European Cyclo-cross Championships. It's a real pity that he hit the moto.". Join Active Pass to get VeloNews magazine, access to exclusive content, 1,000s of training plans & more. And I made a really good throw to the line and that made the difference. New race partner Matt Acker talks with us about what to expect. The 2020 Amstel Gold Race, held April 19, takes place 99 days before the Olympic mountain-bike race, on July 27. The Dutch superstar will also take on the major Italian spring one-day races as well as tiptoe into the Ardennes, with a first-ever start at Flèche Wallonne. Van der Poel's major goal on the mountain bike will be the Olympic Games in Tokyo, with the cross-country race falling on July 27. Since then, she’s dealt with several physical setbacks, including a tibial plateau fracture, sciatica, allergies, and more recently, iliac artery surgery. He’s winning against mountain bikers who did not race a full cyclocross season. Photo: Kristof Ramon. Mathieu van der Poel ... Race Participations Years; 4: Grand Prix Bati-Metallo. "And I think Julian was not concentrating or something. “Personally, I think it’s a shame that Van Aert is not there because he has always been my biggest competitor,” van der Poel. There may be perfectly good reasons why they prefer not to discuss his 2020 schedule. “Of course, you’re only certain when you have a signed contract in your hands, but yes it is about to finish. Van der Poel, who raced a heavy slate of road and mountain bike events this year, said he will miss dueling with van Aert while his rival is on the mend, but that he looks forward to taking on Iserbyt. Visit our corporate site. After that, van der Poel will take another short break, and then prepare for his assault on the Tokyo Olympic Games in mountain biking in August. I think if they do a good job, the possibility exists.”. Van Aert had been looking to become the first rider to win the Tour of Flanders and Milan-Sanremo in the same year since Eddy Merckx in 1975. Henderson also coached American Taylor Phinney to fourth-place finishes in the road race and time trial at the 2012 Olympics when Phinney was aged 22, so he knows a thing or two about dealing with young phenoms, and what drives them. Van der Poel went on the attack at Amstel Gold Race with around 40km to go, before coming back to the bunch. Before making his return to road racing next year, though, Van der Poel is focusing his attention on the Cyclo-cross World Championships, which fall on February 2, saying that they are his only real goal for the 2019-20 cyclo-cross season. Fatigue in endurance sports is a real concern, if not in the short term then in the long term. I’ve asked for confirmation 10 times. I think there is a possibility of squeezing out high performances in this window, into 2020 — and he’s already had an incredible run of results — but at what cost?”, That said, Henderson added that van der Poel’s age is about perfect to take on this kind of training and racing load; he turns 25 in January.

The 25 … Please refresh the page and try again. Cyclingnews is part of Future plc, an international media group and leading digital publisher.

Like Marianne Vos, another rider who achieved success across several disciplines before dealing with fatigue and is now showing signs of her former self, Ferrand-Prévot appears to be reemerging. "Tokyo is my big dream," said Van der Poel to Sporza last week. Photo: Stephen Pond/Getty Images. Mountain Bike Team Concludes First Year  Mdcp.nwaonline.com, Preview: What you need to know about the Ceratizit “Madrid” Challenge  CyclingTips, JRA with the Angry Asian: Should we be considering full-face road helmets? Training for gravel events can be difficult for the time-crunched. So it’s interesting in how to balance those two things — the capacity, and the potential, with the priority. An emotional Mathieu Van Der Poel, alone across the finish line at the elite men’s 2019 Cyclocross World Championship in Bogense, Denmark. “In mountain biking, Mathieu takes risks that are of a completely different order,” team manager Christoph Roodhooft told Het Laatste Nieuws. Amgen Tour of California organizers announced on Tuesday that the race will not be held in 2020, leaving the United States without any WorldTour events next year. Alaphilippe, who had split the peloton with an attack in the Kopperberg, went head over heels after his right elbow clipped the back of a race motorbike 35km from the line after the trio had broken clear. The 22-year-old Belgian has won all three World Cup events so far. I reached out to van der Poel, and his manager Christoph Roodhooft, to ask if they could clarify when he would take specific rest between October and July, if there are any concerns over cumulative fatigue, and how those concerns might have been discussed or addressed. “I’m in good form but I’m not at my top level yet,” van der Poel told Belgian radio show De Tribune. Michigan’s Barry-Roubaix Returns in 2019 with Sold Out Field, New Partner  Cyclocross Magazine. His 2018-19 cyclocross season ran from October 6 through February 17; in total he won 32 of 34 races he started. For a rider who’s good at just about everything, he’s also quite an accomplished skier. >> Van der Poel’s tentative 2020 spring schedule, Volta ao Algarve (February 19-23) All quotes delayed a minimum of 15 minutes. The Crusher is a 225-mile gravel race held in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Just like everyone else who works hard, he deserves a little vacation now and then.”. The duration between his Amstel Gold victory on April 21 and his World Cup short-track victory at Albstadt on May 17 was 26 days. Like everything he does, Van der Poel has mapped out an ambitious spring calendar, with several new races in a mix of stage races and one major one-day classics. Photo: Bartek Wolinski/Red Bull Content Pool. Paris-Roubaix (April 12) 2014-2015, 2017. First-time participations at Strade Bianche, Tirreno-Adriatico and Milan-San Remo are on the menu for Van der Poel, once again assuming that Corendon-Circus are awarded wildcards for the race given their non-WorldTour status.