Unlike a tune that has a dozen or more chords, changing every measure or even more often, there are only four chords in this piece.

E 7sus4 D 7sus4 D7sus4 F7sus4 (Play chords at A for Intro) A B 1 Maiden Voyage Herbie Hancock You’ve provided a comfortable launching pad that I can always return to if I get lost. This creates a sense of tension and release in your playing which can be very helpful when comping over a modal tune like Maiden Voyage. Here are those notes highlighted in blue so that you can play through them outside of the scale as a whole. Chords, melody, and music theory analysis of Maiden Voyage by Herbie Hancock. Am G I stop to think of all I've lost; D The list begins and ends with you. This tune is a modal composition. Great Lesson, can’t wait for the weekend to really have fun with this.

Maiden Voyage Chords – Modal Comping Study, Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) – Nancy Sinatra. Maiden Voyage Chords – Modal Comping Study. Tank you, Hey, thanks so much – yet another reason to keep on learning. = 120 D7sus4 F7sus4 1. The chord progression is: (//: or :// = repeat signs), //:Ami7, 4 bars //Cmi7, 4 bars ://Bbmi7, 4 bars //C#mi7, 4 bars //Ami7, 4 bars //Cmi7, 4 bars //. I always loved _Maiden Voyage_ but never quite understood the theory behind it; now you’ve explained it in a way that is directly applicable to the fretboard – and it no longer seems mysterious and complex. Analysis of “Maiden Voyage” - Introduction. Copy ideas that you like to use in your solo.

If this scale shape is new to you, take a few minutes to learn it and memorize this scale as it’s the foundation for everything else in this lesson.

Only four scales are necessary to improvise on the chord progression of Maiden Voyage: Ami7 - A Dorian (G Major), one sharp, F# To help you avoid this type of situation, this lesson teaches you how to use cool-sounding, modern chords that are easy to play and perfectly outline the Dorian sound. You can either play the comping study exactly as is, or you can use the concepts in this lesson to make up your own chord phrases.

While Maiden Voyage is a commonly called tune, it can often handcuff guitarists who try and superimpose traditional chords over these modern chord changes. nÿäJÈ»YÄ÷\Ô»ï0S–ÿ ¼DÇ¢k Rather than use traditional chords such as drop 2 or drop 3 chord voicings, you’ll learn how to build three-note chords out of the Dorian scale.

Also, be aware of which notes change as you go from chord (mode) to chord (mode). 2. To begin your study of Maiden Voyage chords, you’ll learn how to build chords out of the Dorian scale, the scale used to outline every chord in this tune. Every lesson is so well done and so enjoyable! At first, practice the scales carefully to make sure you are playing the right notes, that is, getting the right key signature. I’ve always loved that stack of 4ths sound. I have heard many young players sound very good on three of the four chords in this piece and then sound awful on the C#mi7 because they don’t know that key. Either way, have fun with this study and enjoy digging into these comping concepts in a musical situation.

The mix of chords allows these shapes to sound fresh and hip as you climb up the fretboard. Now that you’ve worked on the Dorian chord shapes on their own, you can look at a few ways to spice these shapes up in your playing. Megan Thee Stallion, Drake - Laugh Now Cry Later (Official Music Video) ft. Lil Durk, Future - Life Is Good (Official Music Video) ft. Drake, Pop Smoke - For The Night (Audio) ft. Lil Baby, DaBaby, Pop Smoke - Mood Swings (Audio) ft. Lil Tjay, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande - Rain On Me (Official Music Video), Jack Harlow - WHATS POPPIN (Dir.