Several affected users have reported that they were allowed to boot normally after they repaired the Windows installation from the cloned SSD using WinRe. (This is my guess). This works in most cases, where the issue is originated due to a system corruption.

They no longer work.

I found the language in Macrium Reflect a little confusing ... What I would do is remove all drives from the system besides the old drive and new drive.

I can still produce clones, but cannot boot from them. Run this Windows disk cloning software. Edited by Ste, 17 August 2020 - 04:27 AM. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Hi, thanks for the reply. Here is a live example from Tomsguide: Luckily in this post, we are to share with you how to make cloned drive bootable Windows 10/8.1/7. Created by Nick Sills on Feb 14, 2015; Go to start of metadata. Run MiniTool Partition Wizard to get the main interface. I installed a 256GB SSD, made a clone of Windows 10 with EaseUS, tried getting that to work for hours, then deleted it, made a new clone with Macrium Reflect, but no matter what I try, I can't get Windows to boot from the SSD. Because of this, we advise you to follow the methods below in the order that they are presented. Once you have made the backup in advance, you can click Yes to continue.

When you see the main interface of MiniTool Partition Wizard, repeat the process of disk copy explained above. Not sure if that is normal or not. Since it won’t know where to boot from, it will likely make only one of the drives usable.

Secure boot is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry in order to ensure that the PC will only boot with the software trusted by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). Also, follow the universal guidance above to create a bootable media of MiniTool ShadowMaker, put the target disk to the computer that has dissimilar hardware and use MiniTool ShadowMaker Bootable to boot that PC.

After this I tried to reboot the system but it would not boot. I can still produce clones, but cannot boot from them. If you clone your system disk to a USB connected external drive then, to boot your clone,  the physical disk must be removed from the USB caddy and attached to your Motherboard SATA port.

if not I suggest you recreate the disk just in case something need to be adjusted for the new hardware... Hi, yes the rescue disk was created after the change over. Here’s a quick guide on running the Bootrec.exe utility: If the issue is with your Computer or a Laptop you should try using Restoro which can scan the repositories and replace corrupt and missing files. Your computer should be normally booted now. As to how to install Windows, you can read our previous guide How to Install Windows 10 on a New Hard Drive (with Pictures). There is a high possibility that you have a system reserved partition or EFI system partition located on your system disk. Some affected users are encountering an error message (it differs from manufacturer to manufacturer) while others report that they only see a black screen. Kevin is a dynamic and self-motivated information technology professional, with a Thorough knowledge of all facets pertaining to network infrastructure design, implementation and administration.

Once the disk copy completes, you will see the following long information. In the pop-up window, you will be asked to choose a target disk.

There is something else I noticed (please see image), after performing a full clean and then format of the drive to be cloned to, the 1st partition was still visible in disk management. One of the most common reasons that will make a cloned SSD unbootable is the fact that the user has forgotten to set the correct drive to boot from. If your system is able to boot from the cloned SSD, you’ll need to wipe the original drive in the event that you want to use both on the same PC configuration. Windows will mark one as offline to avoid booting from the wrong disk. However, unless Macrium Support chimes in with some insight, my guess is that when you ran Fix Boot Problems when you had both drives connected, part of its routine may have been to modify the Windows Boot Manager (also known as the BCD, or Boot Configuration Database) on the source drive to simply include an option to boot from the second drive. Now remove MiniTool ShadowMaker Bootable media and try to boot your PC from the target disk. I don’t know what is the norm but when I hear someone in a video talking about choosing the correct disk in the BIOS they refer to the disk with the OS on it, were I have to choose Windows Boot Manager for ‘it’ to choose the correct drive. In this case, you need to do a GPT to MBR conversion before you can boot from the cloned drive. If you have tried all the solutions here but the cloned drive won't boot Windows 10/8/7, you may have to do a clean install. Simply put, now your source disk and target disk have the same signature. (Note: In some cases this type of migration is possible without ReDeploy, such as if you've got a RAID-type controller abstracting the storage interface from the OS.

For any questions towards using MiniTool software, don't hesitate to contact us by sending an email to [email protected] with your issue stated clearly. The new cloning result on a different disk layout? "Creators':  Thanks for the clarification:-). After some time, it completed but the system still wouldn’t’ boot. Fit partitions to entire disk: this is the default copy option and will occupy all the disk space according to the original partition sizes.

When you have used it to clone a live system disk, the target disk is bootable. If so, get them backed up or transfer them to a safe location. When you see a green mark appear on the operating system, you can exit MiniTool Universal Restore. Yes, none of the problems I have had seem to be logical.

Copy partitions without resize: keep the original partition size on the target disk. If you don’t have one, you can also force the Startup Recovery menu to appear by forcing three consecutive startup interruptions.

I installed Macrium Reflect 7 Free and did a image backup. ", "MiniTool Partition Wizard can bring you a bootable disk if you use it to clone hard drive to HDD/SSD. But keep in mind that in order to perform this procedure, you’ll need to get a hold a Windows Installation media with your operating system version. As simple as it appears (and seems when most people think about it), booting is actually a rather complex multi-step process if you dig into it. If your target drive is a GPT disk, make sure the UEFI boot mode is enabled, and if it is an MBR disk, then set it to Legacy boot mode.

If WinRE was unable to resolve the booting sequence of your cloned SSD drive, you might be able to do it manually by using Bootrec.exe via Command Prompt. I also created a rescue USB drive.

the one I am using at the moment. Then review the changes to be made on the target disk. Has ANYBODY been able to boot a Win10 machine from a USB disk? Some of you might have already known that MiniTool ShadowMaker is professional Windows backup software that is most frequently used to create scheduled system backup, disk backup, and file backup. I am concerned now about using the Macrium Reflect disk again and even changing drives, as the boot record seems vulnerable.