Heartbreaking. In some cells inmates boasted that they had a policy of "mandatory rec" for new inmates - meaning any inmate coming into the cell had to fight (or "rec") for a bunk, unless he was known to other inmates in the cell, in which case he might be granted a reprieve. Facing murder charges and prosecutors keen to give them life or even a death sentence, they figure that their odds of a better outcome at trial will improve the longer they wait, as witnesses die or disappear and memories fade.

The Naturist Foundation: a sort of Butlins in the buff!

Press J to jump to the feed. It is a legal strategy known as "distancing".

For a better experience on your device, try our mobile site. This meant I was occasionally arrested at political demonstrations. In America, jails are distinct from prisons in that they hold people who are pre-trial and therefore unconvicted. The thing is if I went to jail I’d perhaps be the “professor” type who survived by reading letters to the other inmates or helped them get a diploma/set up a library and asked the Govt. Game of Thrones fan fiction: A Song of Soft & Hard. For a bespectacled, peace-loving Englishman, there can be few places less congenial than a berth on the sixth floor of Miami main jail. Louis visits the 4th floor of the prison where some of the most violent and dangerous prisoners are kept.

To be fair I am not sure Jimmy Savile was dangerous to Louis though.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Wha happened after miami mega jail Just a little recap of what happened in Miami Mega Jail.

"Snitches get stitches," one said. Born. The answer was an emphatic "no". It is in two parts, with part one initially shown on 22 May 2011 and part two shown on 29 May 2011. Most of these inmates reside at one of the two biggest facilities in the Miami jail system, large modern buildings where the cells are well-supervised and safe. They're still counting the votes' Video'What do you mean?

I hope that some of the comments written in response to Faze are written by persons of color, who have faced these decisions, and not just WASPs invoking their fantasies of being oppressed minorities who stand up against the system, cost be damned. Oh.

Inmates tended not to stay long enough to get comfortable or bond with officers or with each other. Officers say there is little they can do to stamp out the fighting among inmates. ( Log Out /  I recalled that some of the men behind bars had been swaddled in sheets as they stood or had lain covered on their beds - I'd assumed this was because they were camera shy - but in fact, it was explained, this was the better to hide. Sorry to keep double-messaging--but these kids live in a world where you can be a goddamned Harvard professor and still. Documentaries by the BBC's Louis Theroux. ( Log Out /  They say it is the choice of the incarcerated men to participate in the code of the jail and that the inmate policy of no snitching means they can very rarely identify the chief culprits.

I tracked down the victim, who'd just arrived back from the clinic, his eyes swollen shut, looking as though he'd just gone 10 rounds with Vitali Klitschko.

He'd noticed that some personal items were missing and, even though he had no idea who was responsible, jailhouse rules dictated that he had to ask his bunk-mate to "strap up" - put his shoes on for a fight. Prosecutors wanted to give him the death penalty. Some inmates had been inside for five years or more, still technically innocent, putting up with the most brutal conditions, for a chance of a better sentence. US election results: Trump sues as path to victory over Biden narrows, US Election 2020: Results and exit poll in maps and charts. For a bespectacled, peace-loving Englishman, there can be few places less congenial than a berth on the sixth floor of Miami main jail. Inmates tended not to stay long enough to get comfortable or bond with officers or with each other. I’m in contact with Robert Shaw (accused of triple murder and in solitary confinement.) Louis Theroux goes into one of America's toughest prisons, Miami's mega-jail which has around 7,000 inmates. Read about our approach to external linking. Video, Rescuers rush to save beached pilot whales. but on another note i read online that he was beaten to death in his sleep so probably must have been dangerous. Appalling in it's own right, of course. The prison authorities do not usually allow this but we managed to get special permission and I ended up making several forays into the men's quarters. I am getting the "not available in your area" message as well. Trump slams election integrity as Biden urges calm, .css-gw44ni-IconContainer{display:inline-block;height:1em;width:1em;vertical-align:-0.125em;margin-right:0.25em;}play'What do you mean?

But the hardened few hundred who are either charged with particularly serious offences or have a track record of misbehaving behind bars get sent to the fifth and sixth floors of the main jail - a place with its own myth and lore. Louis Theroux: Miami Mega Jail. At the start of the project, though, we weren't told exactly what the lesson was supposed to be. I'd come to Miami having heard that jails - with their more transient and therefore more chaotic population of new arrestees and defendants - were quite different, less settled and less domesticated.

And when we were around them, the same rules applied to us - many of them, living like animals, had lost their grip on social norms. Anthony Martinez - Miami Mega Jail inmate The small, young inmate that, at the time faced two counts of attempted murder was awaiting trial.

Some inmates had been inside for five years or more, still technically innocent, putting up with the most brutal conditions, for a chance of a better sentence. And yet, strange as it is, fighting is far from being the only predatory behaviour that flourishes on the fifth and sixth floors of Main Jail. But the hardened few hundred who are either charged with particularly serious offences or have a track record of misbehaving behind bars get sent to the fifth and sixth floors of the main jail - a place with its own myth and lore. Also, while prisons separate out their inmates so that the most serious cases are sent to "supermax" ultra-high security facilities, jails house the entire gamut of accused offenders. That's one of the few times I've seen Louis look genuinely scared, normally he's pretty unflappable but there he was genuinely worried about that tiger.

Inmates throughout the jail speak with a sense of awe about the main jail, for it is here that the code of the jail is most stringently observed. Do they go on to the real military or just walk free? I visited the cell and was told by several inmates that the victim had been testifying on other people's cases.