[25] However, he instead won a bronze medal in the Men's Marathon T54 and a silver medal in the Men's 5000 m T54. Kurt Fearnley, International Day of People with Disability patron for 2019, is a man who has achieved things most of us can only dream of. With nearly two decades of experience under his belt, Kurt Fearnley’s wheelchair racing career is as impressive as it is extensive.

On the 3rd of December, have a conversation about disability in the classroom, host an event and enter the schools competition.

Fearnley was born on 23 March 1981 in the New South Wales town of Cowra as the youngest of five children. Let’s grow inclusion for all of our community. [30], At his last Paralympics in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, Fearnley won the silver medal in the Men's Marathon T54 and the bronze medal in the Men's 5000 m T53/54. This page was last edited on 7 September 2020, at 07:59. Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Beijing 2008, London 2012, Rio 2016, Winning gold in the men’s marathon T54 at the Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games. [12], In 2014, his autobiography Pushing the Limits: Life, Marathons & Kokoda was published.[13]. And then I had Carcoar which is a town of 200 people every time I see them they were telling me I can do anything and I think if you have that enough, you're going to be determined.

This year on international day of people with disability, we urge schools to get involved. [10], In 2010, Fearnley married Sheridan Rosconi at Glenrock Lagoon.

He climbed Papua New Guinea’s Kokoda Track to raise awareness for men’s health in 2009, and in 2012 was part of the crew that steered the Investec Loyal to victory in the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. [23] He also won a gold medal at the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games in the 1500 m T54 event. [8] He grew up in the small New South Wales town of Carcoar.

After setting a Commonwealth record in the marathon, Kurt became the first Para-athlete in history to carry the Australian flag into a Commonwealth Games Closing Ceremony.

I am a Father, Husband, Teacher, Paralympian, Gold Medalist, Athlete and proud Man with a disability. [24], At the 2012 London Paralympics, he was aiming to be the first person to win three consecutive marathon T54 gold medals.

After his retirement from Para-athletics, Kurt was named the 2019 NSW Australian of the Year. I had my Mum and Dad and my four other brothers and sisters sitting around me constantly telling me I can do anything. We don’t need to be ‘fixed’ and are not a problem.

Now come on, let’s grow inclusion for all of our community. the Australian Paralympic Team! [26] In November 2014, he won his fifth New York Marathon men's wheelchair event. Fearnley finished his Paralympic Games career with silver and bronze medals at the 2016 Rio Paralympics. We have the same rights to employment, respect, independence and equality as everyone else. [9], In 2020 Fearnley started a media career, joining the Australian Broadcasting Corporation to host a long form television interview program Kurt Fearnley's One Plus One.[33].

We all have a role to play in breaking down the barriers faced by people with disability.

In 1997, Fearnley was a member of the Western Region Academy of Sport[14] and by the 2000 Sydney Paralympics was representing Australia. At these Games, Fearnley won two silver medals in the 800 m and 4×100 m relay events.

Official cheer squad of [6][8] He took up wheelchair racing at the age of 14 and took it to an elite level at the age of 17. After setting a Commonwealth record in the marathon, Kurt became the first ….

Paralympics Australia Ltd. is registered as a charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC).

[8] At school, he took part in all sports including athletics and rugby league. "[4], At the 2017 World Para Athletics Championships in London, England, Fearnley finished sixth in both the Men's 1500 m and 5000 m T54 events. [9], In early 2011 at the IPC Athletics World Championships in Christchurch, New Zealand, he won the marathon. Fearnley extensive experience in disability sport had led him to be appointed to several boards. [16] In 2009, he won his fourth New York City Marathon title, his third consecutive title in the Chicago Marathon and victories in Seoul, Paris, London and Sydney.

He has represented Australia at five Paralympic Games, winning three … Early life & sporting success. “People with disability are entitled to the same respect, independence and choice as others. He focuses on long and middle-distance wheelchair races, and has also won medals in sprint relays. Fearnley and Rosconi met while studying at Charles Sturt University in Bathurst, New South Wales. ACN: 061 547 957. [31], At the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games, Fearnley won the gold medal in the Men's Marathon T54 and silver in the Men's 1500 T54. The town had got together and raised $10,000 and they bought the chair and they ... paid for the trip and they said if he needs anything else you know we're going to make sure that he ... gets that opportunity.

As this year’s patron, I want to advocate for my community and increase awareness and understanding of people with disability. After the competition, he stated "That was one of the toughest races of my life" due to the high winds that nearly forced the cancellation of the wheelchair event. With nearly two decades of experience under his belt, Kurt Fearnley’s wheelchair racing career is as impressive as it is extensive. [7][6] He was born with sacral agenesis; he is missing certain parts of his lower spine and all of his sacrum. In 2018, Kurt capped his decorated career with gold in the men’s marathon T54 and silver in the men’s 1500m T54 at the Commonwealth Games. Artist Statement: I painted Kurt’s portrait for the Portrait Painters Hunter annual portrait exhibition. [2] At the 2006 IPC Athletics World Championships in Assen, Netherlands, he won three gold medals and one bronze medal.

[3][4][5] He won a gold and silver medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games and was the Australian flag bearer at the closing ceremony. [28][29] On Australia Day 2016, he won the Oz Day 10K Wheelchair Road Race for the tenth time joining Louise Sauvage as a ten-time winner of this prestigious wheelchair road race.

In Paralympic events he is classified in the T54 classification.

[9] He lives in Newcastle and is a teacher. Or visit the Job Access website to find out how you can be a successful employer of people with disability.

Surrounded by an incredibly supportive family (Kurt …

2019 – Kurt Fearnley Scholarship established by. [11] Their first son, Harry, was born in 2013 with a second child, a daughter Emilia born in 2017.

Fearnley indicated he will race in the wheelchair marathon at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games and continue to race marathons on the international circuit. After leaving Blayney High School, he moved to Sydney to train and start a Bachelor of Human Movement degree. Kurt has won three Paralympic gold medals, two Commonwealth Games gold medals, and more than 40 marathons, including the New York, Chicago and London marathons. “What I most want to achieve as this years’ patron is for people to use International Day of People with Disability as a launching pad for further action,” he said. Public Education Day 2020 “Not for the elite few, but for every child across Australia” Kurt Fearnley (three time Paralympic gold medalist and two time Commonwealth Games gold medallist), shares his …

We need to talk honestly about the barriers in society that prevent this and work together to break them down.”.

Sometimes that role may just be to listen to the voices of people with disability themselves. There are lots of ways you can help celebrate International Day of People with Disability in the lead up to the 3rd of December.

[20], Fearnley is active in advocacy work, and has been an ambassador for the Don't DIS my ABILITY[21] campaign for four years. Kurt Fearnley's sensational Australia Day Address ... they took me home and I took up my place as the shortest member of the Fearnley family.

He was also a 2010 International Day of People with Disability Ambassador.

In the same year his image was featured on the medal for the 2010 Blackmores Sydney Running Festival.

Start a conversation about disability, remove barriers in your workplace, community or school or you can host an event.

While far short of the 6m 52s record for the annual charity climb (Sydney Tower Run-up), the Tower's manager said this was quicker than the 25 minutes required by most able-bodied people. 2018 Supported by the Australian Government.

[22] In 2010, Fearnley competed again in the New York marathon, which he came in third. [10] He is 1.4 metres (4 ft 7 in) tall and weighs 50 kilograms (110 lb).

Kurt began wheelchair racing when he was 14 years old.

But we still have a long way to go in breaking down barriers, ensuring people with disability can reach their full potential.

He was given the honour of the flag bearer at the closing ceremony.

Eligible tax-deductible donations have Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status with the Australian Tax Office.

Despite this, people with disability are less likely to have a job and face daily challenges people without disability rarely do. Kurt Fearnley. Later in the year, Fearnley competed in the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. [32], Fearnley was coached by Andrew Dawes at the New South Wales Institute of Sport.

ABN: 41 810 234 213, Physical Impairment – Lumbar sacral agenesis.

When I think of my childhood and growing up in the bush, it feels like a story from the Fifties not the Eighties. [8] In 2009, he was awarded the Young Australian of the Year for New South Wales.