Parton is the former; Rogers is the latter. This meant the Gibb Brothers had achieved number one songs in five successive decades, the first songwriters to achieve this feat. In 1983, an R&B song written by a disco band became a pop sensation for two of the most legendary stars of country music. Rogers and Parton stumbled across a mutual magnetism that reenergized their careers and helped define a decade. As fate would have it, Parton wasn’t ensconced in Nashville. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, also topping the Country and Adult Contemporary listings. James Galway) The Buckeroos The Chosen One Montage (Medley) The Christmas Song The Factory The First Noel The Fool In Me The Gambler The Good Life The Greatest The Greatest Gift Of All (Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton) The Heart Of The Matter It involved one of the album’s songs, “Islands in the Stream,” which Gibb had written with his Bee Gees bandmates and brothers, Robin and Maurice. “The first time I met Dolly Parton was in the 1970s. “I’ve lived through earthquakes in California, twisters in Kansas, and hurricanes in Georgia, but nothing prepared me for working with Dolly,” Rogers wrote in his memoir—although the most remarkable thing about “Islands in the Stream” isn’t its force, but its restraint. His voice is gruff and lonesome—that is, until Parton joins in on the next verse: “You do something to me that I can’t explain / Hold me closer and I feel no pain / Every beat of my heart / We got something going on.” Their harmony is otherworldly, an alloy of fierce and soft. I finally told him I didn’t even like the song anymore,” Rogers wrote. It was released in August 1983 as the first single from Rogers's album Eyes That See in the Dark.

By 1983, the last thing on his radar was a team-up with Dolly Parton. He never came close to reaching that height on the charts again, although his tenure as a superstar continued unabated until his death. Nigel Lythgoe also makes a cameo appearance as a talent competition judge. “Islands in the Stream” would prove to be Rogers’s last major pop triumph. Since then it has also sold 245,577 digital copies in the UK as of July 2014. 7 in the UK singles chart in 1983. The duo’s rapport blended Rogers’s scruffy charm and Parton’s glamorous fire. “Baby, when I met you there was peace unknown / I set out to get you with a fine tooth comb / I was soft inside / There was something going on,” Rogers croons as the song oozes into existence.

SWR1 - HeartBeats - die größten Love Songs aller Zeiten, Perfect Années 80 - Tous les titres indispensables, The Real... Dolly Parton - The Ultimate Dolly Parton Collection, Ballermann Country - Die grosse Westernparty 2014, Het beste uit de Top 500 van het foute uur (2016), Top 40 Duets - The Ultimate Top 40 Collection, Top 40 Eighties - The Ultimate Top 40 Collection, Het beste uit de Top 500 van het foute uur (2019), (Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song, Abraham, Martin & John / Precious Memories, Christmas Is My Favorite Time Of The Year, I Get Along Without You Very Well (Except Sometimes), I'll Just Write My Music And Sing Any Songs, Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In), The Vows Go Unbroken (Always True To You), We Could Have Been The Closest Of Friends, You Can't Say (You Don't Love Me Anymore), Diamonds Are Forever - The Diamond Collection, Golden Hits - Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town, Have I Told You Lately That I Love You [2 CD Set], Kenny Rogers - Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town, She Believes In Me - White Collection [2 CD], The American Superstar - His Greatest Hits, The Best Of Kenny Rogers - Through The Years, The Best Of Kenny Rogers & The First Edition, The Great Kenny Rogers & The First Edition, The Very Best Of Kenny Rogers - Daytime Friends, The Very Best Of Kenny Rogers & The First Edition, (Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher And Higher, I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch), If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body, Would You Hold It Against Me, In The Good Old Days (When Times Were Bad), Love Is Only As Strong (As Your Weakest Moment), Old Enough To Know Better (Too Young To Resist), Please Help Me I'm Falling (In Love With You), A Life In Music - The Ultimate Collection, All I Can Do / New Harvest... First Gathering, Four Porter Wagoner & Dolly Parton Albums On Two Discs, Four Porter Wagoner & Dolly Parton Albums On Two Discs [2020/II], Four Porter Wagoner & Dolly Parton Albums On Two Discs [2020], My Dear Companion: Selections From The Trio Collection, The Only Dolly Parton Album You'll Ever Need, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQW7I62TNOw, KENNY ROGERS & DOLLY PARTON - ISLANDS IN THE STREAM (SONG). Ironically, it took a disco icon to bring the two country legends together in the studio. In 1983, the hit duet was a turning point in the friendship between the two stars. The Texas drawl of Rogers and the Tennessee twang of Parton lend warmth and raw yearning to an otherwise twinkly sonic backdrop.

All rights reserved. The live version of the song appears on their Love Songs compilation. It has been certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America for selling over two million physical copies in the US.

Their version features a key change from C major to A-flat major. A studio version was recorded for their 2001 retrospective Their Greatest Hits: The Record, which has since featured on the 2004 Number Ones and on the 2010 Mythology box set. Yet they approach the song tentatively, even coyly, making their voices shimmer and interlace. ^shipments figures based on certification alonesales+streaming figures based on certification alone.

And it almost didn’t happen. “Islands in the stream / That is what we are / No one in between / How can we be wrong / Sail away with me / To another world / And we rely on each other, ah ha / From one lover to another, ah ha.” Rogers and Parton trade proclamations of undying commitment—“Too deep in love and we got no way out”; “We start and end as one”—with a vagueness that suggests a shy kind of mystery. [34] The chorus of Pras' 1998 hit "Ghetto Supastar (That Is What You Are)", which in turn is a reworking of the original Rogers and Parton release, replaces the final chorus in the studio recording.

I was just another guest in the mix of her very busy schedule.” But when Rogers tapped Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees in 1983 to produce his next album, Gibb had a flash of inspiration. “Islands in the Stream,” by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, is more than a timeless, genre-spanning love song that tends to surface around 1 a.m. at karaoke night. It also made Sir Tom Jones, at the age of 68, the oldest person to have a UK number one song, until he was beaten in 2020 by Captain Tom Moore for his involvement in "You'll Never Walk Alone" at the age of 99.[36]. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and Rogers and Parton would go on to collaborate on numerous television specials and world tours, not to mention a second duet, “Real Love.” Middle-aged, gray-bearded, and paunchy, Rogers became an unlikely sex symbol—a tender yet rugged silver fox in the image-conscious era of MTV. Up to that point, Rogers’s solo career had ridden on a series of country hits that veered from the lovelorn novelty of 1977’s “Lucille” to the sumptuous balladry of 1983’s “Lady.” He’d had some moderate successes with duets—namely 1980’s “Don’t Fall in Love With a Dreamer,” with Kim Carnes, and 1983’s “We’ve Got Tonight,” with Sheena Easton. The song went to No. Submit a letter to the editor or write to letters@theatlantic.com. We want to hear what you think about this article.

It also topped the Country and Adult Contemporary charts. “I would like to say that we became immediate friends, but we didn’t. [4], It knocked Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" out of No. In Australia the song was number one for one week in December 1983 and became one of the highest selling singles of 1984. “I had worked on the song with Barry for at least four days, something I was not used to doing. It’s also breathtaking. In a video posted to Twitter on Saturday, Parton had this to say of her late duet partner: “I loved Kenny with all my heart. “There is always the danger of being so closely associated with someone that you lose your own identity,” Rogers wrote of his time with Parton. For other uses, see, Johnny Walker interview with Robin and Barry Gibb BBC Radio 2 30 August 2010 17:00, Recording Industry Association of America, "Robin Gibb, RIP: Hear the Bee Gee's Legacy in 15 Tracks", "American single certifications – Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton – Islands in the Stream", "Top 30 Digital Singles: January 15, 2019", "Country Bites News snippets June 30 - July 6, 2014", "Happy Birthday Dolly Parton! That's The Way It Could Have Been (Kenny Rogers & Dottie West) The Best Of Me (Kenny Rogers feat. Their chemistry is stable, not volatile.

Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers performing in Toronto in 1986. I was asked to perform on her television show in Nashville, simply called Dolly,” Rogers wrote in his 2012 memoir, Luck or Something Like It. Re-titled "(Barry) Islands in the Stream", in reference to the Barry Island setting of Gavin & Stacey,[35] it entered at the top of the UK Singles Chart on March 15, 2009—for the week ending date March 21, 2009. The song is escapist. At the same time, “Islands in the Stream” marked the peak of country’s love affair with pop in the ’80s, a shotgun marriage that wouldn’t be renewed until Garth Brooks and Shania Twain led a new generation of arena-packing country artists a decade later. But when the chart-topping duet appeared on his 1983 album Eyes That See in the Dark—released the day after his 45th birthday—it defied all odds to become a hit. [3] In 2005 the song topped CMT's poll of the best country duets of all time; Parton and Rogers reunited to perform the song on the CMT special. Rogers’s only long-term artistic relationship with a fellow country artist, Dottie West, had sputtered out after a string of singles in the late ’70s. Few singers in any genre are as overwhelmingly distinct as Rogers and Parton. That friction between soulfulness and sophistication is what sells it. Her most downloaded songs in the UK revealed", Austriancharts.at – Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton – Islands in the Stream", Nederlandse Top 40 – Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton", Charts.nz – Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton – Islands in the Stream", Norwegiancharts.com – Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton – Islands in the Stream", Swedishcharts.com – Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton – Islands in the Stream", "Kenny Rogers Chart History (Hot Country Songs)", "Kenny Rogers Chart History (Adult Contemporary)", Offiziellecharts.de – Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton – Islands in the Stream", David Kent's "Australian Chart Book 1970-1992", "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada", "Top 100 Hits of 1984/Top 100 Songs of 1984", "Billboard Hot 100 60th Anniversary Interactive Chart", "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2020 Singles", Australian Recording Industry Association, "Canadian single certifications – Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton – Islands in the Stream", "British single certifications – Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers – Islands in the Stream", "American single certifications – Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton – Islands in the Stream", "Captain Tom Moore claims Number 1 victory on the Official Chart", "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100", In the Good Old Days (When Times Were Bad), I Will Always Love You and Other Greatest Hits, Just Because I'm a Woman: Songs of Dolly Parton, Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton discography, Daytime Friends – The Very Best of Kenny Rogers, Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In), The Vows Go Unbroken (Always True to You), John Farnham & Tom Jones – Together in Concert, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Islands_in_the_Stream_(song)&oldid=984487818, Billboard Adult Contemporary number-one singles, Billboard Hot Country Songs number-one singles, RPM Adult Contemporary number-one singles, Song recordings produced by Albhy Galuten, Singlechart usages for Billboardcountrysongs, Singlechart usages for Billboardadultcontemporary, Certification Table Entry usages for Australia, Pages using certification Table Entry with streaming figures, Certification Table Entry usages for Canada, Pages using certification Table Entry with shipments figures, Certification Table Entry usages for United Kingdom, Certification Table Entry usages for United States, Pages using certification Table Entry with shipments footnote, Pages using certification Table Entry with streaming footnote, Pages using infobox song with unknown parameters, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, "Islands in the Stream" (music video) – 4:21, "(Barry) Islands in the Stream" (full-length video) – 8:56, "(Barry) Islands in the Stream" (making of the video) – 14:30, This page was last edited on 20 October 2020, at 10:00.