This body, this felt experience needs management from more powerful agents.”  When we say no to our felt experience, to our bodies, we are maintaining the tension of the war.

And it does transform, every time. It’s possible you tried alternative medicine, but ultimately surrendered to medication, battling a daily inner conflict as you opened that prescription bottle again and again. But for those costs, we would expect a sizeable benefit, of course. Perhaps the most important truth I am here to share is predicated on the one of the principal tenets of ethical medicine – informed consent.

You believe that struggle and suffering lead to breakthroughs – that you must plumb the depths of your personal hell in order to transform it into heaven.

This is the perspective of several renegade psychiatrists and of Robert Whitaker, whistleblower and investigative journalist whose work led me to put down my prescription pad. My mission is to make sure that as many people on this planet know that the presumed ‘incurability’ of chronic disease is a myth and that healing is eminently possible, because only then can you truly make an informed choice. That’s because I know that, if I can provide a solid container for it to all fall apart, then the alchemy of the wound takes place. High profile tragedies where ex-patients had killed were used to argue that community care had failed and that it had put the public at risk from psychiatric patients, and the patients at risk from themselves due to violence, self-harm and/or neglect. Then I changed. A depth of pain that feels so endless it’s like a black hole inside your core. For example, the government envisaged that between 350-450 CTOs would be issued in England and Wales in the first year that the powers came in to force. After completing his training at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and running their Residency Training Program, he moved back to Los Angeles and is currently directing the Emergency and Consultation Services with Harbor UCLA Medical Center and serves as a full professorial faculty member at the University of California at Los Angeles.

There are the blatant examples, such as drapetomania, a 'mental disorder' said to affect black slaves who wanted freedom, the classification of homosexuality as a mental disorder and the use of psychiatry to detain and treat political dissidents …

I learned that in an effort to help, doctors prescribe medications that move symptoms around like a whack a mole game. I would later learn that this confusion is the first sign of growth and change. Did you know that you could shed these labels and walk into the wilderness of your life only to encounter the real you? I awoke. But first we have to ask some important questions and open our minds to the possibility that there is meaning in struggle and there is meaning in how we respond to it. This is to develop and enhance the services delivered to patients in the Psychiatry Dept. And my patients know that I could prescribe…but I don’t. The history of psychiatry is full of examples of political, social and economic influences on both diagnosis and treatment. I used to be a card-carrying pharmaceutical dispenser. I am new to spirituality. You’d be reckless or stupid not to avail yourself of the safe and effective tools Western medicine has to offer – perhaps even combine it with some Eastern methodologies for the best of both worlds?

Unfortunately, most of those who now know, know because of their experience being injured, harmed, or disabled by these medications. It takes the tribe to hold space for that. Because one of the greatest ironies is that medication is often justified on the grounds that patients are “not able to function” otherwise. It was initially thought that CTOs would mainly be used on patients with several psychiatric admissions, the so called ‘revolving door’ patient phenomenon, whereby someone was admitted to hospital, got better with medication, was discharged, stopped taking the medication, relapsed, was readmitted to hospital and so on. that Michael was wrestling with his own energies in a way that ultimately led him down a path many may be shocked to learn about. For more information and data (if you love science that confirms spiritual tenets! It wasn’t until I had a lived experience of radical healing that flew in the face of all of the medicine I had been taught, that I went back to the books to see what other scientific narratives existed that I had not been exposed to. In addition, many patients placed on a CTO were not 'revolving door' patients but were subject to the order following their first admission. How does a spiritually-oriented person relate to mental illness and needed treatment? In addition to peeking behind the curtain of medication efficacy and safety to see the small man pulling the strings, you need to know what is really possible in order to make a choice that feels empowering to you. Psychiatry has changed immensely since those dark days and there have been many improvements in the care and treatment of the mentally ill. We are steeped in many centuries of conditioning, largely thanks to denominational religion, that has led us to separate the material and the sacred. Fiorillo A, Calliesis I, Sass H (eds). But, as is the case with most teachers, myself perhaps included, there is the message and then there is the medium. I used to think spirituality was a conveniently draped window dressing to the real stuff of life – science, and by extension medicine. Others describe feeling on fire, electrified by worry. That this isn’t personal, it’s not meaningful, and you just need to manage the situation. Experience has. I awoke. Recently, Tom Burns, a prominent psychiatrist and proponent for the introduction of CTOs concluded that they were ineffective. The Psychiatry Service is predominantly community-based, with multi-disciplinary teams working in Community Settings such as Sheaf House in Tallaght and Ballyfermot Primary Care Centre. Johnson already looks bored of the coronavirus, A plague of hot takes: Lazy contrarians are putting everyone at risk, Protecting the doctors: The reality of the equipment supply problem, Coronavirus bill: The biggest expansion in executive power we've seen in our lifetime, This is what no-deal Brexit actually looks like, How Black October revealed the lie of One Nation Boris, International community must ensure women are defended in Afghan peace process, US election: The polls got it wrong again - it's time to ban them ahead of elections, 'He dragged Labour back to its roots' - BFAWU pays tribute to Jeremy Corbyn, Rebecca Long-Bailey should be the next Labour leader, Covid's male face: Women are hidden in the pandemic debate, The government is trying to undermine the Electoral Commission - we need to save it, Advertising at political party conferences, Constituency and local authority campaign maps, Community Treatment Orders: Politics and psychiatry in a culture of fear. It’s exhausting and at best results in a stalemate. Nevertheless, psychiatric practice is still all too often directed not by advances in mental health care but by the political and cultural concerns of the day. The reason I want to bring this message to you and your tribe is because I know you aren’t daunted by uncertainty and confusion. EVER. That’s because I know that, if I can provide a solid container for it to all fall apart, then the alchemy of the wound takes place.

To my mind, a pharmaceutical – whether it’s birth control pills, antibiotics, vaccines, acid blockers, or psychiatric meds – a pharmaceutical says, “No, you’re not enough. But I also know that no one should be walking this path alone. Because it may be that your body says no to an exposure. In places designed to ensnare us, disempower us, and keep us arrested in our spiritual growth. – must be the foundation of a powerful spiritual process. I know this but I have also come to know, on the level of an akashic remembrance, that I have an important message to deliver, and a good part of it is the experiences of those who have traveled beyond the pale and moved beyond their psychiatric labels. That’s like a woman in labor at home, wearing headphones that say “you can’t do this, you’re going to kill your baby, what are you doing, you reckless moron!”. 400+ scientific Due to the volume of spam we receive, our team has decided to close public comments and relocate them inside our private membership community, for those who are genuinely looking to connect on the topics discussed on this blog. That this isn’t personal, it’s not meaningful, and you just need to manage the situation. Because we feel like we have to do something, and that medication is what we do in urgent and serious situations, right? This is the perspective of several renegade psychiatrists and of Robert Whitaker, whistleblower and investigative journalist whose work led me to put down my prescription pad. I used to be a card-carrying pharmaceutical dispenser. By Ken McLaughlin The history of psychiatry is full of examples of political, social and economic influences on both diagnosis and treatment.

But if you didn’t know what awaited you on the other end of your dance with psychiatry, you might imagine that euthanasia or suicide is the only option, as one mother of a schizophrenic son disabled by medication thought one month before completing a program of comprehensive healing that gave her son’s life back and then some. And my patients know that I could prescribe…but I don’t. Did you know that you could put schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, OCD, panic attacks, chronic fatigue, ADHD, Major Depression with suicidality, eating disorders, and generalized anxiety into total remission without medication, and even in spite of it? In Emergency Psychiatry, Chanmugan, Triplett, Kelen (eds). A commitment to opening, to working with, to acceptance, to surrender, to peeling back the layers of gauze wrapped comfortably over our eyes?