Despite both characters being attracted to Beneatha, George Murchison is Joseph Asagai… For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser.

Get an answer for 'Describe the differences between Asagai and George Murchinson in A Raisin in the Sun.' Don’t you see that there will be young men and women – not British soldiers then, but my own black countrymen – to step out of the shadows some evening and slit my then useless throat?

Beneatha is terribly depressed and cynical, knowing now that the I mean sometimes people can do things so that things are better…You remember how we used to talk when Travis was born…about the way we were going to live…the kind of house…(She is stroking his head) Well, it’s all starting to slip away from us…(2.1.133).

He admires her independent spirit and hopes to ignite it in her again. The feelings of Joseph Asagai to the girl are sincere, and, in the long run, she accepts his offer to be more than friends. You mean he went off to Springfield by himself – to take care of getting the license – (Turns and looks anxious at RUTH) You mean maybe he didn’t want too many people in on the business down there?

And that such a thing as my own death will be an advance? Big Walter's mention in the play serves as a reminder of the sacrifices parents make for their children. ASAGAI (He smiles) …or perhaps I shall live to be a very old man, respected and esteemed in my new nation… And perhaps I shall hold office and this is what I’m trying to tell you, Alaiyo: Perhaps the things I believe now for my country will be wrong and outmoded, and I will not understand and do terrible things to have things my way or merely to keep my power. Where are all going and why are we bothering? MAMA …Big Walter used to say, he’d get right wet in the eyes sometimes, lean his head back with the water standing in his eyes and say, "Seem like God didn’t see fit to give the black man nothing but dreams – but He did give us children to make them dreams seem worth while."

JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. LitCharts Teacher Editions. Instant downloads of all 1372 LitChart PDFs Need Custom Character Analysis Sample With Quotes or Maybe Help With Editing? For that reason, he became a volunteer and performed as a conscious and patriotic resident.

(He holds his arms open for TRAVIS) You just name it, son…(TRAVIS leaps into them) and I hand you the world! Fix up the sick, you know – and make them whole again.

This exchange occurs near the end of

I never thought to see you like this, Alaiyo. And I even will have moments when I wonder if the quiet was not better than all that death and hatred.

I want so many things that they are driving me kind of crazy…Mama – look at me. Her family has had to deal with a lot of hardship in Chicago, which makes her doubt if any of it was worth it.

(2.2.131). Then she closes the window, straightens her body with effort and turns around to her children) (3.1.66). When Beneatha happens to experience some difficulties, he supports her with a good piece of advice and helps to find the proper solution to the issue.

In other words, Asagai believes in bringing modern advancements from Western society back to Africa to improve the quality of life there.