I was proud of Brandon. © 2004-2020 CBS Interactive. Flagg Eagleton Satire You Can Kneel For. An image shared on Facebook claims Denver Broncos General Manager John Elway said, “Kneel on my field and you’re fired on the spot.” Verdict: False There is … “We have talked to team,” Elway said. For background, here is why we sometimes write about satire/humor. He made it clear that he will respect the decisions of everyone on the team – whether they choose to kneel or stand.     16 June 2020. Jensen, Chad. '” Trendception: A master class in the use of spurious data to make bogus and self-referential political talking points unsupported by empirical evidence. Each football team and its players have conducted conversations about a plan of action, and what is best for the team while bringing awareness to important issues.

The conditions are perfect this year for a werewolf sighting. It remains a potentially divisive topic across the NFL, and many fans have even said they won’t watch NFL games until the players stop kneeling. "He talked to law enforcement and got involved. Covering the impact of coronavirus on the sports world. CBS Sports is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting Inc. Commissioner.com is a registered trademark of CBS Interactive Inc. site: media | arena: nfl | pageType: stories | “John Elway Breaks Silence with Statement on Police Brutality & Racism.”

Just about every NFL team, at some point, has had differing opinions on the matter, and each has handled the controversial kneeling differently.

“John Elway Lays Down The Law: ‘Kneel On My Field And You’re Fired On The Spot. All Rights Reserved. But I just hope that when they do those types of things, that what they take into (account) is to think about their teammates first. Somebody wants to kneel, respect the rights.”, Elway on Anthem: “we have talked to team … where I stand is where Broncos stand … players can do as they wish … All we ask is everybody respect everybody. This material may not be reproduced without permission. With that being said, I still respect that they have the right to do what they wish to do. There were rumors during the 2016 offseason that the Broncos were pursuing Colin Kaepernick via trade, but ultimately nothing came of those rumors. Not only did he show his support but he went out and did something in the community.". pic.twitter.com/2ncnFvmq33. It was a heck of a detailed response, particularly from someone who's been mum for so long. Somebody wants to kneel, respect the rights.” #9sports. The only thing that I would say to our players is to make sure it's not hurting your teammate. Subscribe to our newsletter for new stories, tips & events. Denver Broncos owner John Elway said any player who kneels during the national anthem would be fired on the spot. If you believe that it is real, you should have your head examined. In 2018, Potatriotsunite.com’s sister website, America’s Last Line of Defense, posted a piece of fiction claiming that Elway had fired three players who knelt during the national anthem… The 2020 NFL season starts on Thursday night, and the conversation of protests against racial injustice are still prevalent. Did John Elway Lay Down the Law on Players Kneeling During National Anthem. …. Critics of the president latched onto his use of the phrase "Joe's shot," in a speech in October 2020. That's why we live in this country. Get the day's big stories + fun stuff you love like mock drafts, picks and power rankings. I want these guys to understand we're football-first and we want to win football games. … If someone wants to stand, respect they want to stand. But the bottom line is that can't get in the way with our main goal. A number of NFL players joined him in kneeling, but many disapproved of the protest. Snopes and the Snopes.com logo are registered service marks of Snopes.com. "I honestly never knew how the organization felt about what I did.".

Neither of the aforementioned satirical articles accurately represent Elway’s attitude toward protests during the national anthem. "Brandon made a point last year, but he carried it forward.

Elway also dispelled rumors that the Broncos were looking for quarterback help earlier this month, calling them "fake news" via tweet.     Sports Illustrated. But when you're doing anything, just understand what it's doing to our football team.